Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Re: Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Syden

Post by marymck »

TheDon wrote:Perhaps you should remember how well this has been dealt with by our currnt representatives come Thursday. Seems that last night is a timely reminder of how our council can't or won't deal with this to the satisfaction of those affected.
Duwayne Brooks has lost my vote.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Didn't realise that Mr Brooks was a current rep for Sydenham and representing the interests of those of us living in Sydenham.
marymck

Post by marymck »

TheDon wrote:Didn't realise that Mr Brooks was a current rep for Sydenham and representing the interests of those of us living in Sydenham.
Yes he does .... or rather, he doesn't! He sits on the licensing committee and was the only committee member who supported the status quo at the zanzibar. I believe I'm right in saying that all the other councillors on the committee voted for shorter hours. Cllr Brooks has posted on here about it.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

2am still sounds far to late on a Sunday morning in a residential area.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I was disturbed again by patrons of club zanzibar from early hours till past kick out. I have reported to environmental health and licensing. Anyone else disturbed last night?
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

Yes, they started making a noise earlier last night. Finally drifted off around 3am only to be woken by my alarm clock at 7am.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

I'm posting this as have just been woken up by them leaving the club again. Cars all parked along Westwood hill pavements inc bus stop - tooting horns for 20 mins on roads all around us - also saw girls disappear into gardens behind flats on our road, altering clothing on way back so I presume they are using the gardens to go to the toilet!

Can someone tell me where the best place to report this is? I've had enough :(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do feel so sorry for the residents for whom the council have inflicted this monstrosity .

If the new license has restricted to 2pm then certainly a lot better than 5pm but still a disaster for people trying to sleep.

If this establishment has to stay at all should be midnight at latest.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Lewisham council`s track record is far from positive - what with this and the mess with the Greyhound

I used to think they were a progressive council - I feel they are rapidly becoming an absolute disgrace
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Hi Zoelee,

I would recommend sending an email to all of the the following addresses

Olalekan.Olaosebikan@lewisham.gov.uk

Jim.Abbott@met.pnn.police.uk

licensing@lewisham.gov.uk

EnvironmentalHealth.EnvironmentalHealth@lewisham.gov.uk

Olalekan works at environmental health at lewisham council, and said they have now started a file after it emailed a complaint about the noise recently.

Sgt Jim Abbott is the licensing officer for lewisham and has been heavily involved.

The club has appealed the licensing committee's decision to restrict hours, the hearing at the magistrates court is due for September. It is most important that residents continue to keep a record and inform the police and council every time there is problem.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi

The point , that no one from the council has replied to , is why was the license given in the first place...

It is madness.

Angela
You seem surprised by the Council.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

Gaddison wrote:Hi Zoelee,

I would recommend sending an email to all of the the following addresses

Olalekan.Olaosebikan@lewisham.gov.uk

Jim.Abbott@met.pnn.police.uk

licensing@lewisham.gov.uk

EnvironmentalHealth.EnvironmentalHealth@lewisham.gov.uk

Olalekan works at environmental health at lewisham council, and said they have now started a file after it emailed a complaint about the noise recently.

Sgt Jim Abbott is the licensing officer for lewisham and has been heavily involved.

The club has appealed the licensing committee's decision to restrict hours, the hearing at the magistrates court is due for September. It is most important that residents continue to keep a record and inform the police and council every time there is problem.

Ah, that's great thanks. I'll drop them all an email. I'm not sure changing the hours will help matters much, but hopefully it gets sorted soon!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I'm always surprised that it was ever allowed in a residential area to begin with!
It belongs in a commercial area.hopefully it will close and give Sydenham back it's peace and quiet.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

I agree, ideally it would have been great if the licence had been revoked. However at least it is something in the right direction, aimed at reducing the inflow of rowdy, drunken patrons coming from all over from other venues that close at a more respectable time, as well as less time overall to cause disturbances. Unfortunately the new reduced hours can't be enforced until the appeal in court has occurred in September.

the council and licensing sergeant do want all residents to make a record and report to them all disturbances that occur, as this will be most important for the appeal hearing. The licensing team did send out letters to local residents with a form to sign if you were able to make a statement which could be used as evidence in court.
nicfilan

Post by nicfilan »

Something needs to be done about it. Had a load of cars parked outside our house on Lawrie Park Road again this morning - heard the usual noise and commotion at kicking out time. Went down to my car a little later and it has been smashed into.
Getting bored of this type of thing happening! Have had so much damage to our cars and property.
Reported it to the police but what can they do as whoever did it, probably under the influence, was long gone!
Not a happy bunny.
biscuitman1978

Project Zanzibar–creating a venue that’s right for Syden

Post by biscuitman1978 »

nicfilan wrote:Something needs to be done about it. Had a load of cars parked outside our house on Lawrie Park Road again this morning - heard the usual noise and commotion at kicking out time. Went down to my car a little later and it has been smashed into.
Getting bored of this type of thing happening! Have had so much damage to our cars and property.
Reported it to the police but what can they do as whoever did it, probably under the influence, was long gone!
Not a happy bunny.
Sorry to hear about the damage to your cars and your property.

If you haven't already, could you please report this incident to the various bodies listed above by Gaddison? Building the case for the reduction of the Zanzibar licensing hours (or indeed removal of its licence) requires as much evidence as possible, so this may well help. Thanks.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is getting worse and worse . Poor residents in the close area .

Why do not the Police just on one occasion swamp the area when chucking out for breath and drug tests , noise and violence.
nicfilan

Post by nicfilan »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
nicfilan wrote:Something needs to be done about it. Had a load of cars parked outside our house on Lawrie Park Road again this morning - heard the usual noise and commotion at kicking out time. Went down to my car a little later and it has been smashed into.
Not a happy bunny.
Sorry to hear about the damage to your cars and your property.

If you haven't already, could you please report this incident to the various bodies listed above by Gaddison? Building the case for the reduction of the Zanzibar licensing hours (or indeed removal of its licence) requires as much evidence as possible, so this may well help. Thanks.
Will drop them all an email now.
Have spoken to some of my neighbours to do the same. Hopefully we can get them enough evidence to sort the place out!
susan

Post by susan »

I, too, have been disturbed on Friday/Saturday nights by the Zanzibar revellers. Unable to put up with it any more, I have today sent emails of protestation to the four addresses given. I don't want to stop anyone having fun, but not at the expense of my quality of life, in particular a good night's sleep.
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

Hi Susan. I was also disturbed yet again, both Friday and Saturday night. We all need to keep reporting every time as you've done.

The council is holding a public meeting on the 23RD JULY at the Grove Centre and it is important as many residents can attend as possible.

I am unsure why the council has not advertised this formally to residents, i only heard from Sgt ABbott and don't remember getting anything through the letterbox.

I'm now being disturbed by the music as well as the crowds and cars, and not impressed by all the litter left in the streets after club nights.