Begging on Trains

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Begging on Trains

Post by Eagle »

Noticed recently strange people going up and down a carriage leaving a useless product with a note saying how hard up they are.

1. How did they afford the train fare ?
2. This is blatant begging and I would imagine totally illegal. It is a disgrace.
bensonby

Re: Begging on Trains

Post by bensonby »

I can't say it's something I've ever noticed but, yes, it would be an offence under Railway Bye-law 7(2).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Especially noticed on south east trains and underground,. Not so much on Southern.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Today on the 12:36 LBG > SYD lady giving out Kleenex tissues and a note asking god to bless you for some pittance. I saw one lady giving a little.

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Stuart

Must be honest most noticed on Penge East trains.

I wonder if she had a ticket ????
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

What would Jesus do?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Interesting idea for Jesus to alight at Penge East. But how would we know.

I am sure he could find many willing followers in Newlands Park vicinity.

I am not sure Jesus would have travelled a couple of thousand miles to beg.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Jesus is everywhere Eagle, for the quality of mercy is not strained;

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change"
James 1:17
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Look guys, this is Lent, and I've given up getting involved in controversy. Is this thread, and the one on begging in Sydenham Road actually a concerted plan to break my resolve? :D
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

stone-penge wrote:What would Jesus do?
I don't think Jesus is anywhere recorded as having given money to a beggar, or as having begged himself. On the other hand, he is reported (Matthew 25:34-40) as saying:
Then the king will say to those at his right hand, “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?” And the king will answer them, “Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Come on Tim , what is your view. Need not be any controversy involved. Your views are usually non controversial.

As Mr Bensonby ( our legal expert ) says this is an offence. The next time it happens I will inform them , but not sure they understand English.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I have given up hope for Lent
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

very sad fishcox. Life getting you down.

Has one been to The Dolphin garden recently ? That will cheer you up. Couple of pints of Adnam's Broadside.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Has one what been to the Dolphin recently?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Fishcake

You said you had given us hope so suggested you indulge in a pint of Broadside at the good olde Dolphin. Hoping it will / would relax you.

Did not imagine it was remotely controversial comment.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

wasn't fishcox the person who fell out with management at The Dolphin about the behaviour of children in the pub garden?
I hardly think that suggesting he go there for a relaxing pint is a good suggestion somehow.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You may be correct although I thought he was a trifle unreasonable at the time.

Feral children in pubs and restaurants are a real problem.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Noticed recently strange people going up and down a carriage leaving a useless product with a note saying how hard up they are.

1. How did they afford the train fare ?
2. This is blatant begging and I would imagine totally illegal. It is a disgrace.
Maybe they did what that £2.3million a year hedge fund manager did, and didn't buzz his oyster card in... :mrgreen:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

I agree the Gent concerned should be in prison.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

#IHatePurelake #GreyhoundPub
Eagle wrote:You may be correct although I thought he was a trifle unreasonable at the time.

Feral children in pubs and restaurants are a real problem.
quite right - unruly children are a nuisance, but from what I recall he said that they were behaving themselves.

I'e been in there recently with my son (who was about 2 months old at the time) - he was asleep in his pram, and we asked the barman if it was ok if we parked the pram next to our table, the barman said it was ok, but we'd have to leave by 9pm. We said that was ok, but he then proceeded to tell us again, in no uncertain terms that children were not allowed in the bar after 9pm, and that at that point we would definitely have to leave the pub.
we thought that he'd been very rude about it, and over zealous - as we understood the concept, and he was a very small child asleep in a pram.

I still don't agree with begging anywhere, let alone on trains.