A Victorian Marvel - Visit on Sunday 30th

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ian Bull

A Victorian Marvel - Visit on Sunday 30th

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo everybody

This is more 'on-topic' than you might think. In 1865 London's main drainage system arrived in Sydenham. Without said sewers development of the area would have been much slower and might not have happened at all. To be precise, the sewer marched up the hills and ended under Church Road, just South of the Crystal Palace.

That great work, which consumed one seventh of the nations GBP in 1860 was of course buried. To celebrate it's magnificence the Metropolitan Board of Works gave the architect Charles Henry Driver an open cheque to spend on a giant pumping station located where almost all of South London's sewers terminate to this day. Remarkably the original pumping station survives in un-touched form and if you have any interest in Victorian architecture, design, and technology you should read this now.

On Sunday 30th there are 10 places available for an extremely rare guided tour of Crossness pumping station. This grade 1 listed building contains the finest decorative ironwork in Southern England and the four most powerful rotative beam engines ever built. An internet image search will quickly convince you that I'm not exaggerating although no image or video can convey either the atmosphere or majesty of the structure.

This will be the only guided tour offered in 2014 and I warn you, the building is so impressive that some people gasp upon entry. The only cost is a £5 donation to the Crossness Engines Trust. This is a bargain as entry on one of the five annual open days is £5 without the considerable benefit of of this complex structure being explained thoroughly to a small group.

The pumping station stands on the Erith Marshes, one of the most isolated places in London. As there is no road access a two mile walk is required from the nearest railway station. To attend you would have to be sure of catching a train from London Bridge by 10.45.

If you'd like this unique opportunity I will send full details if you send me a private message or write direct to...

ianbull@btinternet.com

I'm a walk leader for TfL's Walk London project. This visit accommodates an overbooking from their in January visit. A block-booking has had to withdraw and thus 10 people are offered a day they won't forget.

After the visit there's an optional four mile walk besides the Thames followed by a guided tour of the historic buildings of the Royal Arsenal for which here will be no charge. All the walking is free, but the minimum donation to Crossness must be considered compulsory.

All the best

Ian Bull
leenewham

Re: A Victorian Marvel - Visit on Sunday 30th

Post by leenewham »

I went a few years ago. It is amazing and unforgettable. We actually drove right up to it when we went, have they closed off the road?

I'd recommend it, it is truely incredible, although afterwards it made us sad for many of the Victorian wonders lost in the name of 'progress'.
Ian Bull

Re: A Victorian Marvel - Visit on Sunday 30th

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo everyone

The visit is now fully booked.

Leenewham... Road access is through the very busy and strictly secure Crossness Sewage Treatment Works. Thames Water reasonably only allow direct access on five days or so per annum and tomorrow isn't one of them! Later this year it's hoped to open a new footpath around the STW to allow for more frequent openings to the public.

All the best - Ian