Pop-up eateries

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Pop-up eateries

Post by JMLF »

The Honey Hive - Vegan cafe at the back of calabash of culture (which does cracking smoothies) have started doing Friday dinners from 6.30 to 9.00. Don't know much else other then the fayre will be vegan and if the smoothies are anything to go by it'll be nutritious and delicious! Pop in to book or contact details are on the shop front door.

Cherry and Ice are doing carribean food on Saturday from 5pm til it runs out including "the best jerk chicken"... Bold claims ;)! I think it also said BYOB but can't confirm how much of my memory was real and imagining!
Mazzer

Re: Pop-up eateries

Post by Mazzer »

I have discovered that the spicy rotisserie chicken at Mr Kebabish is fantatsic, and at £4.50 for a while chicken that's my family's friday nights sorted!

Marie
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mazzer

Do you mean whole chicken ?

How can people market a chicken for 4.50 pence.

What does the farmer get , wholesaler and retailer. It is frightening how these birds must be kept.
Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

Yes, that's a good point Eagle. Though it's not cheaper than an already-roasted chicken in the Co-op, but I am quite sure neither are free-range. It's silly - I'd never think about buying not-free-range eggs, yet when it comes to a take-away my morals seem to disappear. It's a shame it's not easier to get free range meat in take-aways. Saying that do any of the restaurants in Sydenham use free-range chicken?

Marie
Mazzer

Post by Mazzer »

This takes us back to why we should go to The Honey Hive on a Friday evening for dinner instead! :-)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Thanks for bringing it back mazzer! Was hoping this could just be a notice board of sorts for pop-up or special food events and reviews/recommendations!
Toots

Post by Toots »

Can't be long now until On the Hoof make their long awaited appearance on the High Street. Anyone know the latest?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm sure there will be an update from Ela and the crew soon. It's all looking exciting.
MissBee

Post by MissBee »

The update from On the Hoof via Twitter this afternoon is they have just been granted A1 to A3 change of use Planning Permission for their proposed Bistro. How exciting :) Look forward to seeing what they will offer. Maybe even free range chicken??
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Exciting times :)

Although this will be doubled up on another thread it deserves a spot here too..

161 Kirkdale - on "the original sydenham high street ;) - now has a little sign in the window and work ongoing for a cafe/drinkery to open within a few weeks providing amongst other things fine wine and craft beers. The little sign briefly introduces the pair who are opening it, plans and a warm welcoming invite to pop in and say hello as work is ongoing. They can also be contacted at 161kirkdale@gmail.com!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just back from dinner at calabash of culture - absolutely delicious food with a lovely atmosphere to boot.
Had £9 large mixed plate of all sorts of gorgeous vegan fayre:
Curried lentils
Mock meat stew
Potatoes, peppers and mushrooms
Broccoli
Red rice
Mac n cheese
Salad

An excellent coffee, some dessert and a smoothie to polish us off.

Would highly recommend going an spreading the word as it's a fairly new venture (the dinner openings) with plans for live music to accompany in the future.
southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

Thanks for the review - I'm veggie and keep meaning to try out their food out as the menu sounds interesting.

It's a shame you never get a chance to see what the food looks like when you're passing though, because the cafe area is at the back of the shop. I'm sure more people could be tempted to try the food if the Calabash of Culture put some tables and seating in the shop window, and moved some of their craft display further back instead...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

In the light of the latest UK Obesity figures ( which are a total disgrace ) , maybe we want some Pop down eateries.