May 8th

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

May 8th

Post by maestro »

Next arrives :D

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/11181 ... _Sydenham/

"Until now, the nearest Next store has been in Aylesbury, more than 12 miles away."

Apart from the ones in Lewisham and Bromley, and numerous others within the M25. Aylesbury is 54 miles away according to AA route planner.
michael

Re: May 8th

Post by michael »

This is great news for the people of Sydenham. For too long have people in Oxfordshire had to battle the traffic through Thame to reach Aylesbury and their Next store. Now this tiny village in the Chilterns will get a fantastic new shop.
Sydenham is an area we have looked into for some time
Means ... we popped it into our store locatorand found it was in South Oxfordshire.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That will upset Sainsburys. TU clothing department :lol:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think Sainsbury's would be very happy. More people in the area looking for clothes. Competiton means choice, choice means consumers.

That's why I often go to Crystal Palace or Forest Hill rather than Sydenham if I want Sunday lunch or to have treat by eating out. Choice. That's why shopping malls group similar businesses together. Choice. That's why high streets used to do it. If I wanted furniture, I'd go to Tottenham Court Road.

If only smaller shops would realise that.

Of course, it's only a choice if each shop offers something different as opposed to everything the same. The days one on of everything in a high street are long behind us.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee
I agree , although must admit did not realise TCR was a hub of furniture retailers. Seem to recall used to be electricals , but that was in the 70's.

Not a fan of so called retail parks myself but good luck for those who are. If it had been M and S then may have ventured down there.

Surprised Primark not there already.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:Lee
I agree , although must admit did not realise TCR was a hub of furniture retailers. Seem to recall used to be electricals , but that was in the 70's.
Electricals at the Oxford Street end, furniture at Warren Street - Habitat, Heals, Purves and Purves and a few more.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Sainsbury's had the monopoly on selling clothing at Bell Green,they are profit hungry monsters. :|
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sainsbury's are a lot better than other supermarkets Annie. I think the term 'Monster' is a little harsh. They weren't the nicest people to work for when I designed their packaging years ago, but they were nicer than Tesco. Sainsbury's stance on Fairtrade, fish, their code of conduct with suppliers (which could be better according to some sources), their profit sharing plans for employees, battery farm eggs etc are to be applauded.

It would be interesting to see if Sainsbury's tried to block Next opening at Bell Green. I doubt very much if they did.

The thing is, if Sainsbury's hadn't opened there, then another supermarket certainly would have. Or people would have gone to another area to another supermarket. I'd much rather have Sainsbury's there than Tesco etc. The high street suffered because it didn't complete or change and it blamed the Supermarket. People don't buy JUST on price. There will always be casualties in competition, and I have a LOT of sympathy for small business owners, having worked with lots of them now, but many are their own worst enemy.

I don't support shops by using them just because they are near where I live. I don't think people should, they aren't charities. But I will do my best to help those who go the extra mile and deserve my custom, help or praise. I think if more people did the same, our high streets might be more successful.

I won't use the Next store. I think they are OK, I don't know much about their ethics, some of their clothes are ok, it's just not my thing. But I'm sure it will be popular with many.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

My wife and I use the SavaCentre regularly. We filled the car up with petrol there (at a discount) this afternoon. It is very convenient for the weekly big shop.

I am not sure whether that makes us
simpleton planks with arid inner-lives entirely archetypal of low-level consumer cogs in our vacuous and plastic economic merry-go-round
or
the kind of salt-of-the-earth idiots that bore Rod senseless and in whose thoughtless, 'hard-working' servitude the whole machine is commissioned
I suspect either would be an honour.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I use the Savacentre regularly. But I have to agree that the retail park next door is an arid soul-sucking blight on Sydenham. It is very ugly. And the shops, huge as they are, actually offer less choice than their high street equivalents.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I think the retail park is good for Sydenham. I use Sainsbury`s, Next, PC world and the shops and restaurants in Sydenham Road. The greatest blight on Sydenham is the mess that once was the Greyhound pub thanks to Purelake
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

leenewham wrote:Sainsbury's are a lot better than other supermarkets Annie. I think the term 'Monster' is a little harsh. They weren't the nicest people to work for when I designed their packaging years ago, but they were nicer than Tesco. Sainsbury's stance on Fairtrade, fish, their code of conduct with suppliers (which could be better according to some sources), their profit sharing plans for employees, battery farm eggs etc are to be applauded.

It would be interesting to see if Sainsbury's tried to block Next opening at Bell Green. I doubt very much if they did.

The thing is, if Sainsbury's hadn't opened there, then another supermarket certainly would have. Or people would have gone to another area to another supermarket. I'd much rather have Sainsbury's there than Tesco etc. The high street suffered because it didn't complete or change and it blamed the Supermarket. People don't buy JUST on price. There will always be casualties in competition, and I have a LOT of sympathy for small business owners, having worked with lots of them now, but many are their own worst enemy.

I don't support shops by using them just because they are near where I live. I don't think people should, they aren't charities. But I will do my best to help those who go the extra mile and deserve my custom, help or praise. I think if more people did the same, our high streets might be more successful.

I won't use the Next store. I think they are OK, I don't know much about their ethics, some of their clothes are ok, it's just not my thing. But I'm sure it will be popular with many.
Doesn't Sainsburys own the land?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I always associate the day concerned with VE Day.

It comes as a nasty shock that opening of a branch of a national store on a dour retail park seems more important to many.

Personally I hate such areas. Once in Bluewater and never never again.
michael

Post by michael »

The latest copy of the Sydenham Society newsletter (that's Sydenham in London, not Sydenham in Oxfordshire) has confirmed that the nearest Next store is in Aylesbury, but has it at 40 miles away. The distance to Aylesbury is correct, but I'm sure I have seen another Next store closer than Aylesbury.

With that exception, another excellent copy of the (full colour) Sydenham Society newsletter. Well worth joining up if you haven't already.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

michael wrote:The latest copy of the Sydenham Society newsletter (that's Sydenham in London, not Sydenham in Oxfordshire) has confirmed that the nearest Next store is in Aylesbury, but has it at 40 miles away. The distance to Aylesbury is correct, but I'm sure I have seen another Next store closer than Aylesbury.

With that exception, another excellent copy of the (full colour) Sydenham Society newsletter. Well worth joining up if you haven't already.
Like Bromley, Eltham, Lewisham, Croydon, Colliers Wood

http://stores.next.co.uk/next/locator/r ... gdom/0/all
dickp

Post by dickp »

I'm pretty sure there's a next at home in St Mary's Cray, which is a darned sight closer than Aylesbury. Mind you, Sydenham in Oxfordshire (nice but tiny village, close to forest hill weirdly) isn't a million miles from Aylesbury. I suspect someone used the wrong Sydenham to gauge distance.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

dickp wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a next at home in St Mary's Cray, which is a darned sight closer than Aylesbury. Mind you, Sydenham in Oxfordshire (nice but tiny village, close to forest hill weirdly) isn't a million miles from Aylesbury. I suspect someone used the wrong Sydenham to gauge distance.
Would have been stranger still if they had chosen Sydenham, NSW.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Or in Auckland, or in Devon (Sydenham House).

Tragically, I have been to all these Sydenham's - because they are there. Well, if already you're in the area, you would, wouldn't you?
maestro

Post by maestro »

One you may have missed............................