Sydenham Market - Saturday, 10th May

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
michael

Re: Sydenham Market - Saturday, 10th May

Post by michael »

art4 wrote:Please Michael don’t pick apart each sentence that I write because it’s unhelpful and when you cut and paste it can result in being misleading, comments risk being read out of context.
As Rachel has said, these are the comments that people will remember.
art4 wrote:Michael where was the place in FH you suggested, sorry I must have missed your suggestion so as a result have not followed up?
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... =20#p95229
Well worth a look as it was an opportunity that I felt would be of genuine interest to you or to similar businesses.
art4 wrote:Can I ask too, what Michael is your hands on experience of retailing, setting up shop? If you have ever committed to this then you’d know the types of risk which I am plus other potential traders will be weighing up.
Or are you one of those eager people who has to sit on every committee, feel omnipotent and offer wisdom but with out substance?
I have a huge amount of admiration for all the people on our high street who set up some amazing businesses. It is not something I would feel comfortable doing myself. At no point have I told anybody how to run a business, but I have tried to help people when they are interested in setting up new businesses. But I think I was justified in saying that a business that would work in Penge would probably work in Sydenham. Feel free to disagree with me if you want but I think your judgement of my character is incorrect and rather unfair.

I sit on a few committees, where I might have something positive to contribute. I think I have made a positive difference in the last eight years, but I don't feel the urge to justify or itemise my contribution (nor do I expect anybody else to do the same, in case you thought that is what I'm implying).
ejb

Post by ejb »

Hi (new to the forum) we moved to Sydenham about 9 months ago and have every intention on being in the area for a long time so am becoming interested in what more there is ... we regularly go down forest hill and love the little shops and the personal touches, and the horniman market is one we go to each week. And seeing what is happening on Sydenham high street is great, and there are places we plan on going into each weekend if we are free, but the Sydenham market seems to be one which is simply lacking in promotion I guess!

We've managed it once, and it was purely by luck as I don't remember seeing any flyers, posters, banners anywhere. Not even at the station and I think that's where we came from and I needed a cash point so saw the stalls and had a look around. Then finding this forum and joining, I see that we've missed another! It is such a shame.

Who is it that runs Sydenham market? I've just relooked at see3's website and they don't even have 10th may on there last one is 12th april.

I like some of the ideas on here about the puppet show, and a bouncy castle was mentioned. We don't have children, but fun bright things attract me and make me look! Even a mixture of live music, clown/fancy dress person. Just to make people interested whilst footfall increases. It's becoming warmer, and brighter outside and the weather is getting better so maybe that in itself is useful. I got a little confused with what this thread was about, initially advertising it was on, and then some feedback, so I might be way of track with my comment! But I am going to agree with Rachael, yes as a new person to the forum comments like that are what I will remember from the thread and I also don't understand what it has to do with Sydenham market and it's success.

I hope that this market takes off, its a shame to have those two pavement areas empty on a weekend.
:)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Welcome to the Forum, ejb.

I think it's fairly clear that the Sydenham market is like the proverbial curate's egg - 'good in parts'. I don't know enough about how other street markets are managed as I would wish, but my feeling is that markets need to have an identifable individual in charge who is fully focused on making it a success. I've been told privately by one of the people involved with SEE3 that street markets don't make money, which may well be true, although it would be interesting to know how other markets perform financially. If it isn't reasonable to expect one in Sydenham to pay the salary of a market director, or even a part salary if management of a street market here could be combined with markets elsewhere, but we still feel it adds something valuable to Sydenham, then perhaps it could be subsidised. If the curent business model is that there is a Council officer responsible for street licencing, and that his / her salary is not covered by the amounts received for pitches across the borough, then that is effectively the position we are in any way. As I have argued before on similar threads, I think this is a role which should be franchised out by the Council.

As to the deficiencies or otherwise of the SEE3 website communications - forget it. This Forum is where real discussion happens and ideas are floated.
art4

Post by art4 »

Rachael wrote:
art4 wrote: Or are you one of those eager people who has to sit on every committee, feel omnipotent and offer wisdom but with out substance?
Your ideas could all be pure gold, but comments like that are what people will remember.
Okay but I’m trying to think constructively and Michael is constantly pedantic.

I might be a pain but he doesn’t have a clue sometimes.

This constant cutting and pasting of his gets on my nerves.

I feel despondent now about SE26 but if I can think of some better ideas will post.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, I think that is entirely unfair on Michael, but I'll let him respond to those specific charges if he choses.

Getting back to the market - I think Tim makes some valid points about management. We need a 'point' person, especially if the market continues after SEE3 is wound up.
art4

Post by art4 »

Oh okay.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Tim Lund wrote:As to the deficiencies or otherwise of the SEE3 website communications - forget it. This Forum is where real discussion happens and ideas are floated.
The website communications are integral to the market, as SEE3 are the ones doing the promotion. The continual lack of promotion and out of date listings undermines the market, in terms of footfall and income for traders.

From the trader point of view, the lack of promotion has been consistent for all the time I've been donating rent (since September 2013).
Tim Lund wrote:my feeling is that markets need to have an identifable individual in charge who is fully focused on making it a success.
This is something which is now lacking, with Lewisham taking over, but we had someone doing this role last year. Whilst it is useful for traders to have a point of contact and someone to coordinate things, it has not resulted in success for the market.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

art4 I joined this forum because I heard I was mentioned on it. I was hoping to connect with traders in Sydenham to see where we could work together with each other to make both areas better for our customers, but you have just made me run for the hills! Sorry I will not be posting again and art4 good luck raising money to relocate to knightsbridge as thats where I think you think you should be! and no I don't think that about anyone else in ED just you, as I know quite a few traders there and they are all so down to earth and lovely!

Sorry about the rant everyone else, and sorry to have to leave, but I can't bite my tongue any longer and don't want to regret anything I might say. Hope you all have a great evening :)
wen

Post by wen »

I'll have to chime in as well about the lack of promotion, I wouldn't know it was there without this forum. Something at both exits from the station would help, especially if these markets are going to be monthly. It's very easy to not even see the venner sq market if you use the spring hill exit on saturday. Hope I got that street name right!

Is there a way to have a weekly "skeleton" food market? Maybe both for produce and cooked food? this would make it more of a reliable destination for people to add to their core weekly shopping, with craft as treats...

Also a suggestion if that's not already there (did not notice any at my late browsing on Saturday), but a sign (maybe chalkboard sign?) at the venner square market pointing out there's another market further down the road & vice versa would be useful to snag anyone who just happened upon one of the markets.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think this thread has said all that is needed to be said so I will close it. Grateful if everybody could leave it alone too.

Admin