fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rainmood

fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

Post by rainmood »

All happening now. Someone was stabbed to death outside Spar in Wells Park Road. Last October - a shooting metres away. What is going on? Nobody knows of course. And Sydenham Police Station was closed and sold. How am I supposed to feel safe living here?
Manwithaview1

Re: fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rainmood wrote:All happening now. Someone was stabbed to death outside Spar in Wells Park Road. Last October - a shooting metres away. What is going on? Nobody knows of course. And Sydenham Police Station was closed and sold. How am I supposed to feel safe living here?
There have been 3 stabbings and 2 shootings since i have been here (10 years), I've never been threatened or had any problems with any of the 'youngers'. I have no worries about living here. Email the Met Police if you are worried outlining your fears in full and see what they do.
rainmood

Post by rainmood »

There have been 3 stabbings and 2 shootings since i have been here (10 years), I've never been threatened or had any problems with any of the 'youngers'. I have no worries about living here. Email the Met Police if you are worried outlining your fears in full and see what they do.[/quote]

I do not fear too much about myself, more my children walking the dog, taking bus to and from school, going to the grocer's... Met Police? Laugh... they are too busy with important things. Everyday policing is not a priority any more. PCSO's are supposed to be a solution. But chasing drug dealers, moving drunks, having a sense of what is going on under the skin... that is not any more police job. I did try to speak to police on few occasions, was fobbed off. Was even on the meeting at Police Station when it was open. Found them rather useless. What we will have now, few policemen walking around for a week and eventually offering counselling to "distressed members of community". Just now I asked a policeman who was at the scene, what are they going to do next to prevent such things to happen? What was his answer? "Why do you live in here if it is so bad?" What a plonker!
parker

Post by parker »

Yep, Wells Park all closed off, incident at the bottom of Dallas Road. Don't think a police station nearby would've helped, the Sydenham one would've been closed, suspect they came from the 'hub' Lewisham anyway. I know there's living in London but it does feel like the Bronx sometimes, in reality it's not much different even if you paint a few posh signs up in Kirkdale meters nearby to smarten over the cracks... It's deeply saddening.
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Its a very naive point of view that you solely assume that the police are responsible for everything! Nothing about society in general, poverty, drugs, etc? What do you propose, we live in a police state where everything is controlled by them? What difference does a police station in the vicinity mean that all crime will then magically disappear? And as for them answering your question that if you don't like living here, then move...if you had asked me the same question i would have said the same. And i live off Wells Park so very close to the incident.

They have a hard enough job as it is, give them a break.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Firstly it is the job of the police to make sure people aren't killed in the street. As someone who is young, it does worry me, I could even know this person. I never feel unsafe in Sydenham but the lack of visible Police outside major railway stations and Westfield shopping centres is an issue across London and should be addressed, not just be told to ''give them a break''.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Terrible. Let us hope one of.

Please do not make the excuse all down to poverty. Work is there for those who try .

My sympathy to the relations of the victim.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

We recently moved away from Sydenham and London but were heartsick to leave. I loved living in Sydenham and loved the community feel, embodied by people like Maria, The Dolphin, Sydenham Library, Kirkdale Books, Sugahill and Lee Newham, who all strove to create something new in the area and to enrich life there for people.
I was listening to the radio, baking with my 4 year old this morning, when this story came on the news and my heart fell to my boots.
My sympathies go out to all those affected by this horrible, horrible attack.
parker

Post by parker »

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

It's made BBC news.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27655016

The road is still blocked off and plenty of police there still.

For those who think bringing the police back on the street will help, it won't. I've lived here since '62 and as a teenager in the 70's I can assure you there were still fights, knives, burglaries etc and there were plenty of bobbies on the beat then.
And in the 90's when my kids were teenagers, same problems.
It's always happened and always will. Short of vetting every resident before they move into an area there's not a lot you can do.

I would like to see patrol cars driving round the area at night but they have limited resources and I wouldn't want it at the expense of them being able to get quickly to a crime in progress somewhere else.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

So, the youth are given a nice new state of the art youth centre, and this is the outcome?
:?
marymck

Post by marymck »

I'm sure the overwhelmingly majority of the youngsters who use the youth centre will be horrified, scared and upset by this. Happening at a time of the evening when the events at the centre would have been in full swing makes it even more scary.
Last edited by marymck on 1 Jun 2014 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

There's always some idiots trying to ruin things Mary.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:So, the youth are given a nice new state of the art youth centre, and this is the outcome?
The Youth Centre is closed at the weekends.

Condolences to the family and friends of James (Yardz) who I met for the first time yesterday strangely enough. :(
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I heard about this on the radio this morning. It's very sad. As a local and a dad it's upsetting.

My thoughts are with the family.

Thanks to tadpole.
Parker, the signs we designed in kirkdake are nothing to do with this. I realise you are upset at what has just happened, but those signs were designed to bring some pride back to the high street. They have nothing to do with the tragedy that has just happened.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
Annie. wrote:So, the youth are given a nice new state of the art youth centre, and this is the outcome?
"The Youth Centre is closed at the weekends."

Condolences to the family and friends of James (Yardz) who I met for the first time yesterday strangely enough. :(

not according to this web page, or was it changed? If so why?

---------------- THESE DETAILS RELATE TO 2010 AND ARE NOW OUT OF DATE - PLEASE IGNORE -----------

Tags: London | Wells Park Youth Facility
Main Contact:

Elaine Smith

Phone:

0208 3149602

Email:

elaine.smith@lewisham.gov.uk

In South East London, 13 to 19 year olds in Sydenham, Forest Hill and Bellingham can look forward to benefitting from the £3.5 million myplace grant awarded to the London Borough of Lewisham for the Wells Park Youth Facility project. The centre to be based in Sydenham will open from 9.00am until 10.00pm seven days a week providing a modern, safe place that local young people will have a main role in developing and running.

A whole range of facilities will be on offer including a training kitchen, recording studio, youth theatre and dance studio as well as activities such as horticulture, skateboarding and graffiti art. Along with having fun young people will be able to seek help and advice at the centre on issues such as finance, substance misuse, sexual health and housing. Partners to help deliver the project include the Rio Ferdinand Foundation and the Stephen Lawrence Centre.

Sir Steve Bullock, Mayor of Lewisham, said: "This is absolutely wonderful news. Young people need exciting places where they can just be themselves and safe places where they can access support and grasp opportunities; places where we can offer positive challenges, places that say ‘you are important, we care'.We are very lucky in Lewisham to have young people who are committed and dedicated to strengthening their communities. The fact that they worked so hard with the Council to produce a successful bid is testament to that. We are very proud of them and cannot wait to see what will be a state-of-the-art youth facility up and running in Sydenham."

This youth-led project will benefit young people aged 13-19 in Bellingham, Sydenham and Forest Hill, particularly young people with disabilities, teenage parents, homeless young people, those at risk of crime and young carers. A training kitchen, recording studio, IT, youth theatre, horticulture, skateboarding, graffiti art and dance will be available along with advice services on sexual health, housing, substance misuse and finance. The centre will be open from 9.00am to 10.00pm, seven days a week.

For more information click here.

---------------- END OF AMENDMENT BY ADMIN -----------
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote:
"The Youth Centre is closed at the weekends."

not according to this web page, or was it changed? If so why?

---------------- THESE DETAILS RELATE TO 2010 AND ARE NOW OUT OF DATE - PLEASE IGNORE -----------

Tags: London | Wells Park Youth Facility
Main Contact:

Elaine Smith

Phone:

0208 3149602

Email:

elaine.smith@lewisham.gov.uk

In South East London, 13 to 19 year olds in Sydenham, Forest Hill and Bellingham can look forward to benefitting from the £3.5 million myplace grant awarded to the London Borough of Lewisham for the Wells Park Youth Facility project. The centre to be based in Sydenham will open from 9.00am until 10.00pm seven days a week providing a modern, safe place that local young people will have a main role in developing and running.

A whole range of facilities will be on offer including a training kitchen, recording studio, youth theatre and dance studio as well as activities such as horticulture, skateboarding and graffiti art. Along with having fun young people will be able to seek help and advice at the centre on issues such as finance, substance misuse, sexual health and housing. Partners to help deliver the project include the Rio Ferdinand Foundation and the Stephen Lawrence Centre.

Sir Steve Bullock, Mayor of Lewisham, said: "This is absolutely wonderful news. Young people need exciting places where they can just be themselves and safe places where they can access support and grasp opportunities; places where we can offer positive challenges, places that say ‘you are important, we care'.We are very lucky in Lewisham to have young people who are committed and dedicated to strengthening their communities. The fact that they worked so hard with the Council to produce a successful bid is testament to that. We are very proud of them and cannot wait to see what will be a state-of-the-art youth facility up and running in Sydenham."

This youth-led project will benefit young people aged 13-19 in Bellingham, Sydenham and Forest Hill, particularly young people with disabilities, teenage parents, homeless young people, those at risk of crime and young carers. A training kitchen, recording studio, IT, youth theatre, horticulture, skateboarding, graffiti art and dance will be available along with advice services on sexual health, housing, substance misuse and finance. The centre will be open from 9.00am to 10.00pm, seven days a week.

For more information click here.

--------------- END OF AMENDMENT BY ADMIN -----------

Lack of funding I imagine due to lack of increases in Central Govt grants. The MPS Seargant said it had nothing to do with the TNG.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I'm surprised, I would have thought the weekend was the time it was most needed? What's the point of having it open on school nights and shut when the youth of the area have nothing to do? ie Sat, Sun.?
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Annie. wrote:I'm surprised, I would have thought the weekend was the time it was most needed? What's the point of having it open on school nights and shut when the youth of the area have nothing to do? ie Sat, Sun.?
It was initially open at weekend eves but the numbers attending were very, very low. I can't remember when I last saw it open on a Sat eve tbh
multisync

Post by multisync »

This youth centre was a complete waste of money. In the beginning it was supposed to be for "the community". It could be used for exercise classes etc for the older and more obese of the community.The only thing for the older generation is film night. My son comes up on the 202 some evenings and there are youths on the corner of Taylors Lane, waiting to lob bottles at the buses as they go past.Put this building to good use,what is the point in spending £3.5 million pounds on something that is not being used to it"s full potential.
Condolences to the family of the deceased.