Hall Drive

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Zoelee

Hall Drive

Post by Zoelee »

Does anyone else keep getting approached by Hall drive residents whilst their dog is mid poo!?

Twice now someone has had a go at us before we've even managed to get the bags out of our pocket to pick it up - Telling us 'this is a private road don't you know!' and 'there are children living on this street'

It's not the most convieneint that our tiny dog does a tiny poo before we get to the park, but alas it just pops out and we have no control over it! We then swiftly pick it up as we're pretty responsible like that ;)

I'd like to apologise to all the Hall Drive residents for my dogs movements, but we do infact live right on the corner of the said private road and that is the direction we usually take to the park.

They do make me chuckle with their private road comments all the time. It'a a lovely road, there's no denying that - BUT please stop shouting at us and we'll respect it as we do everywhere else.
parker

Re: Hall Drive

Post by parker »

Anyone would think they lived on the equivalent of Farnborough Park or Keston Park. They live in Sydenham...
marymck

Post by marymck »

Do any Hall Drive residents have cats? If they do, I trust they don't allow them to poop in non Hall Drive gardens. At least dog owners know they should clean up after their pets. Cat owners seem to think their cat's poo smells of roses and we should all welcome it in our flower beds.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

There's quite a few cats in Hall Drive Mary, I used to see them often, good point you make.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not sure just because it is a private road that the residents can dictate who walks up and down it, but of course I could be wrong.
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

If it's a public right of way, then they can't stop anyone using it. If it's not then they can.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

If you don't like it that residents take care of their road then walk a different route and let your dog poo where you like. There's plenty of uncleared up doggy do on Sydenham pavements.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

gerispringer wrote:If you don't like it that residents take care of their road then walk a different route and let your dog poo where you like. There's plenty of uncleared up doggy do on Sydenham pavements.
I didn't say that I don't like that they take care of their road. I take care of 'their' road too - seen as though I live right on the corner of it with part of our properties grass actually sitting on it. What I don't like is the way they speak to me - like I'm a piece of muck myself. Owning a road doesn't give you the right to speak to people in the manner that they are speaking to us.

Are you from that road. You seem to have the same tone. :roll:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Zoolee, don't worry, it's them not you, they used to use my road as a car park, many times parking outside my house, instead of across the road which was always available.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

Annie. wrote:Zoolee, don't worry, it's them not you, they used to use my road as a car park, many times parking outside my house, instead of across the road which was always available.
It's just such a shame that they don't want people to enjoy the road. I love walking up it when I'm not getting shouted at :)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

They used to shut off the drive to cars once a year, I seem to recall it was to keep the status of it being a private road, I think the residents may have to pay for the upkeep of it,
We used to love walking along it also, but the last ten years or so it has become not so well kept.
wen

Post by wen »

It's quite silly really, it's not as if you were not picking up after your dog!

I also don't get the 'there are children living on this street' comment - apart if your dog was not on a leash and looked about to maul a kid.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I agree no one has a right to be rude to anyone else and my mantra is good manners cost nothing, but just because a couple of rude people in a certain street are unpleasant doesn't mean everyone else who lives there is. If you made other sweeping generalisations about people who lived in certain areas or who were a particular class or ethnic group you would rightly be taken to task.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Well maybe if their dog is cr*pping in your front garden
marymck

Post by marymck »

gerispringer wrote:Well maybe if their dog is cr*pping in your front garden
Firstly, I didn't get the impression that Zoelee's dog was crapping in a garden. Secondly, she was going to clear up the mess. I have never yet met a cat owner responsible enough to clean up the mess their cat leaves in neighbours' gardens. It's just as gross; it's just as dangerous to health. I can tell you from personal experience that it's very distressing when a toddler falls over in their parents' own garden and lands in cat poo deposited by a neighbour's moggie.

Yet being rude to dog owners is OK? While people often rush to defend cats and their owners.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

No of course it's not right to be rude to dog owners, cat owners, budgie owners or anyone else. I did note there is plenty of dog poo on the streets of Sydenham ( the railway bridge seems to be a favoured place) which is unpleasant. I am sure there are loads of responsible owners like OP and I am not defending anyone's rudeness ( the last post was a joke, and I apologise if this has been inexpertly posted.) I am not sure defending dogs or their owners. whilst attacking cat owners is a logical argument though. It's ok for dogs to poo on the street because cats poo in gardens???
marymck

Post by marymck »

gerispringer wrote:No of course it's not right to be rude to dog owners, cat owners, budgie owners or anyone else. I did note there is plenty of dog poo on the streets of Sydenham ( the railway bridge seems to be a favoured place) which is unpleasant. I am sure there are loads of responsible owners like OP and I am not defending anyone's rudeness ( the last post was a joke, and I apologise if this has been inexpertly posted.) I am not sure defending dogs or their owners. whilst attacking cat owners is a logical argument though. It's ok for dogs to poo on the street because cats poo in gardens???
No, of course it's not OK for dogs to crap in the street and for their owners not to clear it up. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Of course it's right that we should expect the owners to clear it up and in most cases nowadays people probably do.

My point is that it has quite rightly become socially unacceptable NOT to clear up after one's dog. That is not the case with cat owners, who allow their pets to defecate wherever and whenever they choose, make no attempt to clear it up and, in some cases, even try to justify it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mary

You really are treading on dangerous ground attacking pussycat owners.

They would defend their cats before their children.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:Mary

You really are treading on dangerous ground attacking pussycat owners.

They would defend their cats before their children.
Oh I know ... or at least before other people's children. Dangerous stuff, cat poo.

I've felt the wrath of cat owners before. I can't understand the double standards of owners of the strangely named "outdoor" cats.

But then I can remember when clearing up after your dog was considered eccentric. And when killing foxes and big game hunting was socially acceptable. Hopefully in time there will be the sort of education and publicity about the health hazards of cat poo as there was for dogs.

I believe people should take responsibility for their pets and sadly that many people have cats because they believe they are low maintenance. What goes in, comes out. Often with added parasites. If I had a cat I would train it to use a litter tray and dispose of its droppings responsibly. I wouldn't have an out of sight, out of mind attitude.

There. Lights blue touch paper and retires. Fast.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263300.php
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Mary

What often surprises me greatly how so many cat worshipers are also twitchers and bird lovers . They cannot seem to understand how many birds are killed by cats.