new brown wheely bins excitement

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jackie

new brown wheely bins excitement

Post by jackie »

Is anyone sharing my excitement of the new brown wheely bins which have been issued to 'specially selected' streets in Lewisham. None of the street knew why we had them and what we should put in them. However after several emails to the council I discover to my delight that they are for garden waste. My excitement was short-lived when i read on to be told that 'sorry there were no leaftets' [no explanation- wrong streets or were the leaflets recycled mistakenly in the green bins?] and that this was a pilot which would be evaluated after four months.

The cynic in me is concerned that if no-one knows what to put in the bins [we still haven't been officially told] then Lewisham can declare that there is no demand for recycling garden rubbish in the borough.
simon

Post by simon »

Funny, I got a leaflet through the door explaining all.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I know someone who is on a street being piloted. It's like when the recycling boxes appeared and nobody knew what you could put in them and then when they were able to accept plastics in the recycling boxes but didn't tell us!

I hope they extend it to all streeets as it would be a big help although at our house (converted into 4 flats) we now have 5 black wheelies (random 1 appeared one day) and 3 green wheelies (2 are completely filled each week and the third is getting that way!).

I am reluctant to ask Council to remove any of them "just in case"

Incidentally, anyone heard of these:

http://www.greencone.com/home.asp?lang=1

http://www.greencone.com/promotions.asp

I've contacted Lewisham to see if they will consider them for our area but not had a response. A lot of councils are subsidising them for residents.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Dunno about brown bins, but a nice manager in the council kindly sorted out our recycling bin needs. We were recently offered some carrier bags to separate our waste indoors (thank you). It's just that the leaflet says we can add carrier bags and yoghurt pots, the bag says we can only recycle pots of Pet 1 or 2 in the triangle, and the actual bin says we can't put any of that in.

I gather it depends on what can be recycled according to the facilities at a particular plant, but surely the instructions from a particular council should be consistent? (There ain't that many plants in South London.)

Can't make my mind up whether it's "green" or "trying to be seen to be green".