Bell Green Development

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GLOBAL THINKER

Bell Green Development

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

I have seen the hoardings up from the developers at Bell Green. Does anyone know when work is due to start and where we can see the final approved plan.
VickyMill

Post by VickyMill »

No. But I'm pretty sure they've changed what they originally said they were going to do with the land.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

After a week-long public enquiry, Ruth Kelly, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, granted permission to Castlemore Ltd, the development arm of British Gas, to develop the long derelict Bell Green Gasworks site as a huge retail and business park. It will consist of a Homebase and garden centre, 4 additional retail sheds, business/industrial units, a "family" restaurant, together with 156 residential units on the site in front of Sainsbury's.

When is this all going to happen? Well it's been 11 months since approval and although ground surveys have been carried out there is little else happening on site. We were told by the developer at last year's public enquiry that businesses are queueing up to get on this site. Frankly, it doesn't exactly look that way. It's been 12 years since planning permission was first granted for the Sainsbury's development at Bell Green and since then there's been a great deal of talk and little action.

I am totally opposed to what's happening at Bell Green- as are many others locally - but let us please hope that we don't see this site continue to languish and that work starts soon. Apart from anything else, let's hope they get on and build the housing that is so badly needed in the area.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

great! Retail sheds !
Why not use the ALL the land for homes rather then adding more super sized stores that are not needed as they exist locally anyway.
cd8535

Bell Green

Post by cd8535 »

Nasaroc needs to have his head examining!!! the best thing that could happen to the site is to get rid of the ugly gasometers and develop the site with better services

What a waste of thirteen years of planning opposals
stuart

Re: Bell Green

Post by stuart »

cd8535 wrote:Nasaroc needs to have his head examining!!! the best thing that could happen to the site is to get rid of the ugly gasometers
Except the gasometers are not on the site and will remain ...

Stuart
simon

Post by simon »

They are fine gasomters, and in 30 years they will be listed!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Although I don't particularly like big retail developments I think having something like that there may actually help that particular part of Sydenham. The shops there may start to get the passing trade they don't get at the moment.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I dont suppose there will be any chance of a cinema on the site? Where is the nearest one to Sydenham?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

stone-penge wrote:great! Retail sheds !
Why not use the ALL the land for homes rather then adding more super sized stores that are not needed as they exist locally anyway.
Residential use is what was argued for by the Syd Soc in the public inquiry. The developer argued against, saying retail was all the contaminated site could be used for. This was proved not to be the case, as many homes have already been built on former gasworks around the country.
It was also argued by the Syd Soc that such a large developement would saturate the feeder roads with traffic and would detract from local businesses in FH and Sydenham.
All in vain, i'm afraid.

As for local cinemas, we don't really have any. You could try Catford and Beckenham.

alib
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's a shame Syenham doesnt have a local cinema like the everyman in hampstead or the picturehouse in greenwich. Are there any empty cinema buildings nearby apart from the weatherpoons pub in Forest Hill?

Anyone got any pictures of the old Granada cinema which is now Somerfield?