Long distance walk - TONIGHT!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ian Bull

Long distance walk - TONIGHT!

Post by Ian Bull »

Hullo everyone

Each year I invite all those who live at the Eastern end of the Green Chain Walk to see where it goes, and why it is justifiably regarded London's finest footpath network. The daytime walk is on Saturday 27th but the night version is tonight and I apologise for the extremely short notice. The full description is below and many people from Sydenham Town have attended in the past. They all thoroughly enjoyed it!

All the best

Ian Bull

================

MIDNIGHT MEGAWALK - FRIDAY 5TH SEPTEMBER 2014.
CRYSTAL PALACE RAILWAY STATION at 23.30.

At last... There's finally a chance of some clear skies on Friday/Saturday 5th/6th September. No rain is forecast and it's going to be nice and warm as well. There hasn't been a clear Friday/Saturday since late May - not one!

This is your chance to experience a very pleasant walk in remarkable conditions. There are miles of dense woodland on our route and in them it will be jet-black. Barely a photon will disturb us when we stand still for a moment and listen to the nocturnal wildlife quietly scurrying through the undergrowth. As first light begins to show at about 04.00 the sky will gently become turquoise from the North leaving black to the South and from our best vantage points, London's streetlights gleaming gold beneath us. The views are glorious, the darkness delicious, and the landscape is London's best.

There's no need to book and no charge, just turn up, but feel very free to ask me in advance for further information.

It's a remarkable, indeed unique, walk and a very enjoyable one. If you're still interested, read below!

=============

1) What we're going to do...

* We meet outside Crystal Palace railway station at 23.30 on Friday 5th September.

* The pace will be leisurely, we don't even have to make average walking speed.

* The aim is to see the Sun rising over East Anglia and the Lower Thames from Shooters Hill, very nearly London's highest point, at 06.21 and we will achieve this.

* The overall distance is 21.5 miles but a 1.5 mile diversion through excellent woodland will be offered to see the Gothicky (spooky?) Severndroog Castle. There are benches for a nap for those who don't want to do this.

* After sunrise we'll traverse Bostall Woods and Lesnes Abbey Woods. About four miles of these, and the latter has been there for 8,000 years, London's finest ancient woodland.

* Finish at Erith about 08.30 for a train home. No engineering works - 33 minutes to London Bridge.

* Some participants traditionally have a breakfast together in a Café near London Bridge after the event.

=============

2) What you've got to do.

* DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL BEFORE THE WALK! Seriously everyone, booze before the walk will ruin it for you. Rest assured, it will!

* DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL DURING THE WALK! It's dangerous to do so on this route and your companions won't appreciate the company of loud-mouths or P***heads. Neither will I !

* THIS ISN'T A DATING EVENT!  Keep your hands off! If you find someone you like and you think they like you then suggest seeing them again at another time. If their not interested, leave them alone.

* Try to bring a torch. If you get separated and lost in the woods you'll need one.

* Wear resilient or stout shoes. Half the route is off-road and you won't see that tree root across the path.

* Bring food and non-alcohlic drink. The only opportunity to stock-up is a Garage at 7.5 miles and it charges Garage prices. We'll pass an open shop at about 08.00. and a shop at Crystal Palace might be open before we start.

* If you have a serious allergy to Stinging Nettles do the daytime version instead.

* Bring a mobile phone that's charged and has credit.

* Tell others what you're going to do before you leave.

* All welcome, tell your friends!

=============

3) General information.

* You can see the route online at these two addresses...

<http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3142264> for Crystal Palace to Shooters Hill.
<http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3095310> for Shooters Hill to Erith.

* We'll cross several night bus routes along the way - just ask on the night if you've had enough of walking.

* After sunrise public transport will be fully functional.

* After sunrise the walk will get steeper, and the woodland will reveal itself as London's finest.

* My number on the night will be 077 998 101 78. It doesn't accept voicemail or texts.

=============

4) Disclaimers.

* If you take part in this walk you do so at your own risk.

* There will be a procedure at the start to ensure that all potential participants are aware that they take part in the event at their own risk.

* The walk is not operated by any publicly funded body or their contractors.

* Participants will not hold Ian Bull responsible for any misfortune that might befall them.

=============

And if you've read the above you must be interested! And I wouldn't blame you, it's a glorious walk and everyone who has taken part over the years has had a lovely time and taken home great memories. You'll love it!

The daytime version, promoted by TfL's Walk London project is here...

<http://www.walk4life.info/events/london ... n-megawalk>

I look forward to seeing you on Friday 5th September, 23.30, at Crystal Palace for London's best night walk.

All the best

Ian

IAN BULL
020 7223 3572