A Sydenham malaise?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Valex

A Sydenham malaise?

Post by Valex »

Has anyone living or working in Sydenham ever experienced the following symptoms:

watering, itchy and aching eyes
itchy running nose
mild confusion
severe fatigue

My partner and I get these symptoms nearly every time we go to Sydenham Road. It's worse in the summer time, but appears not to be regular, or to be attributable to any obvious phenomenon. Is it the gasometer? The drains? Pollution?

Whilst on the subject, does anyone know why there is frequently such a strong smell of gas around Cobb's Corner? I wouldn't light up around there.

Thanks

Alex
simon

Post by simon »

Funny you should mention it:

I live and work here

The eyes thing certainly, have to wear sunglasses these days even when it isn't particularly sunny.

The itchy nose irriates my wife, seems to mainly occur when I eat.

The mild confusion and severe fatigue I have put down to advancing years and lifestyle choices. Thought the other two were down to the latter as well, rather than geography.

The gas smells occur up and down the high street, with the bottom of Berrymans Lane, outside Whites and by Milanos coffee shop being the main culprits for me. I rarely venture west of the station on foot.

Hope this helps.
poppy

Sydenham malaise

Post by poppy »

That is weird I smelt gas outside the Greyhound today! I wonder what is causing it?
mosy

Post by mosy »

There's often a smell of gas on the other side of the road (between the bookshop and diy store). I've reported it previously and seen vans there in the past.

That could cause a headache. As could traffic fumes, given that much traffic is barely moving on Sydenham Road at some times of the day and a lot of vehicles use diesel now.
christian952

Post by christian952 »

If anyone in the area has experienced these environment medical problems around this area, then they should report it to the council for an enquiry
davegr

Post by davegr »

Maybe it is due to the exceesive number of cheap crappy burger bars.