Blue Mountain Cafe coming to Cobbs Corner!!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ogley

Post by ogley »

I think some valid points have been made here by cockney rebel. we ought to be concerned about the way gentrifiers appropriate a place for their own ends and ignore the shops and services that were there before. since this new cafe opened, all manner of clapham wannabes with their three-wheeled pushchairs have come out of the woodwork. i've never seen them in chef's delight, or even somerfields for that matter. i think more democratic prices would be a good way of welcoming a broader mix of the sydenham population to the blue mountain cafe.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote: You don't like BM/Dolphin. Fair enough. What is not always fair is the attitudes, desires and net worth you attribute to those that do. You appear to dislike people you don't know. I find that quite chilling.
So, not dissimilar to another contributor on here, a Dolphin regular who dismisses anyone he perceives as outside of his demographic and who he obviously hasn't met as 'peasant underclass' or worse.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

nork1 wrote:So, not dissimilar to another contributor on here, a Dolphin regular who dismisses anyone he perceives as outside of his demographic and who he obviously hasn't met as 'peasant underclass' or worse.
So what's my demographic? Have you any evidence that I have a problem with any other demographic? Or are you making it up? If so, why?

PP
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Calm down, I wasn't actually referring to you.
There are people on this board who won't go into a place because it's seen as pretentious, there are others who think anywhere that doesn't serve ciabatta and sauvignon blanc is beneath them.
Works both ways.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

My apologies Nork1. There were two ways to read your post and I, of course, got it wrong. Great we are both on the same side on this one.

There is a place for Ciabatta. But not around a nice bit'a'bacon.

PP
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

since this new cafe opened, all manner of clapham wannabes with their three-wheeled pushchairs have come out of the woodwork. i've never seen them in chef's delight, or even somerfields for that matter
I don't really think this is fair to say. Surely bringing more people to the high street, those who may not have used the shops before, can ony be a positive thing for Sydenham. If someone doesn't want to go to chef's delight or somerfields, why should they? If someone goes to BMC they might notice the fantastic bookshop nearby. Who knows, if there was a decent good sized pub opposite they might even use that!
I went to BMC last friday and managed to squeeze on the end of a table with mrs_b. Service was quick and friendly and although we didn't eat, the food I saw looked lovely. There was also quite a lot of stuff on sale that isn't available elsewhere on the high street.
I fail to see why some people have a problem with the blue mountain cafe, and similarly the dolphin. If you don't like either or think they are too expensive then don't spend your money there. If others do the business will suceed, if not it won't. My personal opinion is that both are excellent additions to sydenham's businesses and will only serve to attract more money and hopefully other businesses and people to the area.
You can't beat sema's for a fry up though!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

ogley wrote:I think some valid points have been made here by cockney rebel. we ought to be concerned about the way gentrifiers appropriate a place for their own ends and ignore the shops and services that were there before. since this new cafe opened, all manner of clapham wannabes with their three-wheeled pushchairs have come out of the woodwork. i've never seen them in chef's delight, or even somerfields for that matter. i think more democratic prices would be a good way of welcoming a broader mix of the sydenham population to the blue mountain cafe.
But the "clapham wannabes" haven't just come out of the woodwork, they live in Sydenham too. It's just they've probably been drinking their cappchinos at home until now. And are probably getting Ocado to deliver their supermarket shopping topped up with an Abel and Cole vegetable box so you won't see them in Somerfield.

Saying that Blue Mountain Cafe should have more democratic prices is like saying Chef's Delight should serve mocha-lattes. Surely it's better to have a cafe that's serving a different part of the local population than having one that is just going to steal trade from an established business.

Blue Mountain has moved into a premises that has been empty as long as I've lived in Sydenham.

Maybe you want to see this as the "thin end of the wedge" but I don't think we're in any immediate danger of Sydenham High Street starting to resemble Northcote Road - let the Mama's and Papa's brigade enjoy their coffee.
user100

Post by user100 »

3 wheels bad

4 wheels good (presumably)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

We ought to be concerned about the way gentrifiers appropriate a place for their own ends and ignore the shops and services that were there before. since this new cafe opened, all manner of clapham wannabes with their three-wheeled pushchairs have come out of the woodwork
My god how DARE these gentifiers drink coffee and have a nice bite to eat - they are EVIL!

They IGNORED the shops that were already there - what they really should have done was go to the other cafes even if they didn't really like them, or want anything that was on sale there. That would make sense.

These MUMS with their 3-wheeler pushchairs (do they still make any other sort these days?) ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks Ogley for putting us straight on these matters with your insightful words.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Saturday morning: Semas no 1 Breakfast. Great.

Later I had a hot chocolate in the Blue mountain Cafe. Also great.

Am I not allowed to enjoy both? Am I Bi-Class? Is this bad? Did the £2 Hot chocolate mean I had to sell my soul as it was sooooo expensive?

If you can afford a £3 pint of ale then a £1.50 tea isn't going to kill anyone. Anyone can enjoy Semas or Blue mountain regardless of 'class'. Infact I think it's cass-ist to say otherwise.

(Please take with a huge dose of sarcasm).
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

According to the holy Qur'an, God holds the 7 Universes in his left hand! Therefore, all human beings on minor planet Earth are really insignificant... Also, among the Islamic there is only 1 unforgiveable sin: Idol Worship! I reckon people watch too much TV and must class themselves based on society's role model celebrities. Remember, everyone is equal! :) Hey, Juwlz, you can see why I don't like getting involved in political discussions! :P
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

user100 wrote:3 wheels bad

4 wheels good (presumably)
Del Boy would disagree.
user100

Post by user100 »

:lol:

Wonder do they serve Beaujolais Nouveau in the BMC?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well, if you go in you will find out!
user100

TUMBLEWEED..............

Post by user100 »

*..............*............*...........*......................*

:lol:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

e?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

This thread has gone weird!
user100

Post by user100 »

Sorry, probably my fault.

Just my silly sense of humour.

It all started with me pedantically satirising the idea that 3 wheel buggies are inherently bad.

Then my reply to the Delboy reference, which might have gone over Thomas' head.

Hence the tumbleweed.

Hmmmmm - maybe would be better if I hadn't started explaining this one.................. :?

In my defence: at least I left Islam out of it ;-)

So.................

anyone been to the BMC today?

Did you have a nice time?

Was the coffee good?

PS please take my silly jokes as they are intended, Please Don't Flame Me today :-)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

user100 wrote: Hence the tumbleweed.
I thought it was hangman (hence the e?)!!
cockneyrebel

Post by cockneyrebel »

PP,

It's nothing to do with seeing things through "class powered spectales". It's a fact that most of the people in the BMC and the Dolphin didn't go up the highstreet much before.

And all the comments saying if you don't like it there, then don't go there, well that's kinda stating the obvious. But this is a message board where you can express an opinion. Personally I don't want Sydenham to end up like Clapham as I find that area totally pretentious.

And like it or not the Dolphin and BMC are fairly exclusive. There are loads of people who can't afford £8 for a breakfast. If they aren't exclusive then why are nearly all the people that go in there middle class?

It's nothing to do with disliking people I don't know (and calm down on the melodrama of saying it's "quite chilling"), it's that I don't like the pretentious atmosphere. It's not about individuals. I know people from all different walks of life.

But if Sydenham does go the way of Clapham it will be for the benefit of the middle classes and to the detrement for working class people.

Please tell me I'm wrong.