Zanzibar withdraws appeal

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Zanzibar withdraws appeal

Post by Nigel »

I see from the Syd Soc news that the management of the Zanzibar will not be appealing the decision to restrict their opening hours to 2am.
This is potentially great news and well done to the excellent Syd Soc , local residents , police and LB Lewisham who have brought this about .
The prospect of the vile goings on that residents have suffered continuing until 2am is still pretty awful but I wonder if this early closing is the nail in the coffin of the present regime there ?
I understand its appeal thus far has been as a continuation for people booted out of other places to come and upset Sydenham until daybreak and without that it just wouldn't be a draw .
Lets hope so , for the sake of the many people that have suffered - in my view - intolerable detriment to their sleeping and welbeing .

The article suggests that there might be other , altogether more edifying activities planned , with the possible involvement of the estimable Jonathan Kaufman . Unless Jonathan is planning a drama with interactive audience twerking and binge-drinking , I think we would all welcome that very warmly .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
admin
Site Admin

Re: Zanzibar withdraws appeal

Post by admin »

Aha Nigel - you would have known earlier if you had read this website and forum :D

In case others missed it go here: http://sydenham.org.uk/zanzibar-good-ne ... -bad-news/

Admin
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Admin
I stand corrected - that's precisely where I read it . I include you in my thanks as our very own winged messenger !
A very good evening
Nigel
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nigel - I think we will leave correction to the bedroom :oops:

And I'm honoured to be confused with SydSoc. We all try to bring something to the party. Another reminder is 'BlogCentral' - a one stop shop to see instantly all the latests posts by all the Sydenham makers and shakers.

Hopefully one of these may report confirmation of the Zanzibar decision tomorrow by the magistrates which then puts the licensing committee's decision into effect. This does put the onus on the community to come up with profitable ideas on putting the space to more useful and less disruptive effect.

We really don't have a lot off audience happenings in Sydenham out of the Art Festival season. A real opportunity?

Admin
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Just a very brief word from me, Jonathan Kaufman (director of Sydenham Arts Festival). I think this is potentially excellent news and I will be meeting with representatives of Zanzibar Nightclub very soon to look at ways of involving the community, and the new Sydenham Arts charity (when it is set up shortly) to develop a community-friendly performance space. My hope would be that such a venue could regularly feature theatre, cinema, music, comedy, spoken word nights and similar events. Fingers crossed that this may be the beginning of a very fruitful partnership. Anyone interested in contacting me with their thoughts and ideas, or potential business/community partners, please get in touch at director@sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk asap, thanks

A very good afternoon
Jonathan
sydres

Post by sydres »

Good luck Jonathan - I'm sure if anyone can turn Zanzibar from a local nuisance into a treasured asset it's you. Fingers crossed the local representatives of the club are receptive to your ideas.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hear , hear
Definitely a great opportunity and how wonderful if we could be galvanised into action through Jonathan's ideas and drive.
A very good evening
Nigel
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I am all for the arts, music, etc as documented above by the SAF Director sounds great, as long as it does not involve me or my family being woken up at 2.00am.....
corvid

Post by corvid »

This is great news.

At the last meeting in the Grove Centre I was very disappointed by the attitude of the Zanzibar guys that they were adamant they wanted to cling on to the 5am licence. I was so willing to get behind them if they'd accepted a 2am licence and the idea of diversifying the interests at the club.

Now Jonathan is involved, and they have "seen the light" I feel good about the future, and will be glad to support initiatives there. It's a great space, and hopefully there are great things to come.

Good luck to all involved - Zanzibar management included.
simono

Post by simono »

Well how long did that take. It is 4,30 in the morning and for the last hour I have been kept awake by the patrons of the Zanzibar having a party in the street. I thought it shut at 2?
The owners have their license but the business model of making their neighbours life hell continues. But now the threat of having their licence withdrawn is over they can continue as if nothing ever happened!
hdekretser

Post by hdekretser »

I have not witnesses the problem with noise at Zazibar but I have left a night club in the middle of a residential area in Bethnal Green called the Bethnal Green Working Mens Club. The bouncers there were incredible insistent on taking every clubber aside and telling them how they had to leave the area in complete silence. They then visibly watched every clubber as they left the area. Considering how much most people had had to drink I was impressed how deadly quiet it was outside as people left on tip toes.

Maybe the management should arrange a trip to see how it can be done.
robuk

Post by robuk »

simono wrote:Well how long did that take. It is 4,30 in the morning and for the last hour I have been kept awake by the patrons of the Zanzibar having a party in the street. I thought it shut at 2?
The owners have their license but the business model of making their neighbours life hell continues. But now the threat of having their licence withdrawn is over they can continue as if nothing ever happened!
I was also woken up at 4 this morning. In the summer when Zanzibar was at the height of its terror, I would sleep with the windows open. I was therefore very surprised that a nightclub that is supposed to be shut at 2 AM managed to wake me up at 4 AM with the windows closed. There wasn't any activity on Westwood Hill as far as I could tell, but music and shouting coming from Kirkdale was very clear.

If the club isn't shutting at 2 this is clear a breach of licence. If the patrons are having a street party instead, is this a police matter? From previous experience - what is the best approach in terms of making a complaint?

For those of you interested I am aware of the following email addresses for the Lewisham council:

Noiseandnuisance@lewisham.gov.uk & licensing@lewisham.gov.uk

I will be sending an email to both.

Rob
Last edited by robuk on 4 Oct 2014 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
robuk

Post by robuk »

According to a quick company check Zanzibar Night Club Ltd is still an active company and lists John Wright as the Director. Has anything actually changed?

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/07802 ... nformation

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/907215727
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I was surprised when even 2am was allowed in a residential area, why aren't they forced to close at 11am like most pubs? That's all it is at the end of the day, it just sells ridiculous amounts of booze and has dancing.

Terrible that residents are still being kept awake by these inconsiderate patrons.

What will Lewisham do about it?
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

I am about to meet Lee Jasper who is Zanzibar's consultant to discuss "a community engagement strategy and our broader social objectives in relation to community development and social cohesion". I have had conservations with the new owner Fred Gayle as he is keen to diversify the offer and has been following up previous ideas discussed with Sydenham Arts.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Good luck Chris.

What a load of words to use for one thing!

All the residents want is peace and quiet and to be able to sleep!

All this cohesion and community engagement strategy ?

No wonder we never get anything done, far too many words not enough action.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree good luck Chris.

How about returning it to an upmarket department store as Walter always intended.

I think 2 pm chuck out will still be a major problem. One assumes the patrons are workers so one wonders why they are not wanting to be asleep by midnight.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Annie. wrote:Good luck Chris.

What a load of words to use for one thing!

All the residents want is peace and quiet and to be able to sleep!

All this cohesion and community engagement strategy ?

No wonder we never get anything done, far too many words not enough action.
Common sense talk there Annie! But I also know from experience that sometimes those types of phrases are th e starting point for action!!! The previous suggestion Te very effective use of bouncers at another nightclub seems a good way forward!!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I don't like a load of twaddle being used when it's all quite straight forward to simpletons like me.

End the late licence (2am) and the noise will end, it's all very simple really, let the night clubs be in areas where it doesn't affect the locals.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Annie. wrote:I don't like a load of twaddle being used when it's all quite straight forward to simpletons like me.

End the late licence (2am) and the noise will end, it's all very simple really, let the night clubs be in areas where it doesn't affect the locals.
Common sense again!