Zanzibar withdraws appeal

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Zanzibar withdraws appeal

Post by mosy »

Surely what Chris Best is trying to do, along with Sydenham Arts, is to engage the club with the community to engender a feeling of being part of it which hopefully will lead to a more responsible attitude towards said community. It should be possible to have a social plus after an after hours club - if only the management could be more pro-active at a.m. chucking out time.

Does anyone know why the police don't get involved where there's a street nuisance issue?
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Eagle wrote: I think 2 pm chuck out will still be a major problem. One assumes the patrons are workers so one wonders why they are not wanting to be asleep by midnight.
Maybe they are workers but don't all work on Saturdays.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

For the avoidance of doubt, I wish Chris every success in her negotiations and I think she is absolutely right to be engaging , as she did to great effect with previous managers .

I am however deeply concerned at Zanzibar's choice of Lee Jasper as a consultant giving his track record and highly inflammatory stance on race, crime , in fact most social issues .
Thus far I think issues of ethnicity have been , absolutely correctly, kept out of discussion about the Zanzibar which I think reflects well on the council, this forum , the police and above all those people who have suffered so much .
My fear is that Lee Jasper is precisely the person to turn this into a " community cohesion" type issue .

I am genuinely surprised that nobody has questioned his involvement thus far - he has a very high profile, much of it very unfortunate like the cronyism/corruption allegations , a strange relationship with the Respect party and propensity to make truly dangerous unfounded comments including his comparison of Boris Johnson to Anders Breivik - no doubt without any serious malice aforethought but a seriously wrong thing to joke about .

Here is a link to his blog for anyone that wants to get better acquainted http://leejasper.blogspot.co.uk/ and draw their own conclusions.

My preference would be unremitting focus on the issues themselves -
-what is going to be delivered at the club and at what times?
-how we engage the whole community ?
-how do we ensure local residents don't have to put up with a second more of the abusive and selfish treatment meted ot by the club and its punters .
And not how are we going to frame/rebrand/communicate the issues in a way that comes up with everything's alright really . That's why I worry about the involvement of such an individual as Lee Jasper .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nigel

Valid point. I did not realise that L Jasper Esq was becoming involved.

Seems he is , or was , a candidate for Respect Party, a party that does not appear to live up to its name.

To be honest I have followed this througout and was unaware of any racial connection. True Zanzibar part of Tanzania , but not sure that is relevant at all.

All locals seem to be requesting is a quiet nights sleep. You would not think too much to ask.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Eagle
I am certainly not making one either - the connection would be the users of the club and not name of the establishment. Someone of Mr Jasper's mindset would not be above this though as his blog very clearly shows in my view .

Mercifully we have never been plagued with night time disturbances of that nature - on the 4 or 5 times in as many years that we were affected, some pretty hateful thoughts went through my head so can fully sympathise with those local people affected.

A very good afternoon
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

Nigel wrote:
My preference would be unremitting focus on the issues themselves -
-what is going to be delivered at the club and at what times?
-how we engage the whole community ?
-how do we ensure local residents don't have to put up with a second more of the abusive and selfish treatment meted ot by the club and its punters .
And not how are we going to frame/rebrand/communicate the issues in a way that comes up with everything's alright really .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
I very pertinent list Nigel and I think clearer than the rather long phrase to describe Chris's meeting!