Threatening behaviour at Lower Sydenham Station parking

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Threatening behaviour at Lower Sydenham Station parking

Post by Eagle »

Bensonby

I agree 100% that able bodied Londoners do not need a car. However a ban is unlikely.

TAKE Homecroft Rd , a lovely road of terraced houses will small front gardens and no garages.

If I was living there I would not like the road being colonised by these selfish parkers who do not live there. Quite frankly would rather all kerb parking banned unless on a meter.
Mumcah

Post by Mumcah »

I need a car Bensonby!Some people do even if they live in London. I often have to work out of town and the trains do not come back to london late enough.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

OK M , appreciate your circumstances. I assume you have a garage.

Please think of local residents who live near stations whose streets are choc a bloc. Think twice before you park in front of someones residence , unless of course you know them and are visiting.

A bit of kindness goes a long way.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I still don't understand how it is "selfish" to park on a public highway Eagle. We have all paid for their upkeep through taxation equally.

Fair enough mumcah, some shift workers etc. may need a car I suppose, however, most don't need one. Plus, if it was that essential to have a car and one needed the convenience of parking directly outside their property then they should have invested in a house with a driveway.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

I tend to agree with Bensonby on this; ease of parking on the road outside one's home should be a consideration when deciding to move there (assuming it is a choice). It's a public road and we have no 'right' to a parking space being reserved. I speak from experience; many years ago I moved to a house close to a hospital and was very aware that parking would be a problem around visiting time. However I was willing to put up with this.

I do have sympathy for those affected when circumstances change - for example a new 'attraction' opens and draws in parkers from outside the area. One of these I believe was the opening of the 'Up' platform (1) entrance to Sydenham station a few years ago. This then made parking around there a lot more attractive for those using the station, and an area of tranquility (parking wise) then became a jungle.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I agree parking has got crazy in the surrounding streets since the opening up of the gate to platform 1 at Sydenham station.
However, I do accept that drivers have the right to park on the public highway where there are no restrictions. So, although it is inconvenient and sometimes really irritating not to be able to park in the same road as we live, we know there is nothing we can do about it, unless we can get a CPZ and even then, there is no guarantee we would get a space in our road.

A small price to pay for the privilege of living in the greatest city in the world IMHO.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

gillyjp wrote:I agree parking has got crazy in the surrounding streets since the opening up of the gate to platform 1 at Sydenham station.
However, I do accept that drivers have the right to park on the public highway where there are no restrictions. So, although it is inconvenient and sometimes really irritating not to be able to park in the same road as we live, we know there is nothing we can do about it, unless we can get a CPZ and even then, there is no guarantee we would get a space in our road.

A small price to pay for the privilege of living in the greatest city in the world IMHO.
Agree 100%. CPZs are a simple and obvious element of the general solution of using pricing to control private use of the public resource, road space.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Tim

I do agree CPZ's do not guarantee parking outside your house, but they are much much better than no CPZ.

I do appreciate selfish parkers are legal. I am just sorry for residents.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

I don't agree that these parkers are selfish. They are parking on a public road - it's always been this way. One could just as easily say that residents are selfish in that they are trying to keep the space outside their home just for themselves and that they are lacking consideration for those wanting to use the station or whatever.

Now if they were parking on the pavement or blocking drives / entrances then I would agree with you about their selfishness.

It's unfortunate but this is a price we all pay if we live in a road that attracts parkers who are non residents. CPZ is one option but not ideal or perfect and doesn't guarantee space - but it does add complexity and bureaucracy.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whilst I appreciate your comment that very one entitled to park everywhere , have you considered the infirm and very elderly in roads such as Homecroft and Venner.

The careers , doctors etc etc cannot park anywhere remotely close.
Bunty

Post by Bunty »

I have a foot in both camps. As a resident on Tredown Road, I did weigh up parking when I bought. I didn't however anticipate that residents on Newlands Park would park outside my house as they didn't want their cars scraped on NP as busier road. There is even one chap who has a driveway on NP but insists on parking by my house. When challenged he replied he didn't like reversing out on NP. Words fail me.
Bring on the permits please!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Bunty

He is quite correct one should not reverse out onto busy road. However if you have a drive one should REVERSE into it.

I wonder if some people ever passed their test.

As a resident of Tredown you will be well aware of Homecroft and Venner problems also. I agree bring on the permits NOW.

I trust the local Councillors are listening to their electorate.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

I'm also a Tredown resident and find parking occasionally difficult. There certainly are station parkers around. I wouldn't mind a CPZ as long as there was a reasonable provision for guests to be able to park.

I wonder how this would work with half the roads being Lewisham and half Bromley. Tredown itself is split between the two.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Suzee

Interesting. I thought although Tredown the new border the road itself managed by LBL . Of course I could be wrong.

The actual original frontier is about 88 Venner and covers about 150 yards or so into Byne, Venner , Wiverton and Newlands Park.

I would think Byne and Wiverton and Lower Venner equally in need of strict parking enforcement as Penge East very close.

When will the Councillors wake up to the big demand of residents for CPZ's.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Yes Lewisham manage the road upkeep (or not, as the case is at the moment) but we on the south side pay Bromley council tax etc.

Parking on Byne and Wiverton can be very tricky but I don't know if that is station parking or just the sheer number of homes.

I'd also like to see a 20mph zone around here. Cars zoom down Tredown as I'm crossing with the kids.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It should be 20 mph max on all non main roads in Lewisham. Trouble is enforcing it,

As you say over 20 on Tredown is just stupid and dangerous.

Of course many parked cars in Byne and Wiverton belong to residents but guess many are also selfish parkers.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Eagle wrote:and Venner Road last week visiting. In both cases parking has become a virtual no go area for the residents because of the station parkers.
I would dispute that. I only see a few obvious station parkers if I get off the train there of an evening. But it has to be said that the situation has been made worse by Bromley's excessive yellow-lining. Those lines extend much further than they really need to, and have probably taken out a parking space or two round each corner.