#LoveParks - SAVE OUR PARKS!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayow Park

#LoveParks - SAVE OUR PARKS!

Post by Mayow Park »

First off, this is an invitation to sign a national petition to save our parks.

It's organised by the National Federation of Parks and Green Spaces, and here is the direct link to the petition on Change.org

SAVE OUR PARKS

But it's also local. Most people on this Forum know about Lewisham's Big Budget Challenge - where we as members of the public are invited to share the pain of local government officers and Councillors as they are forced to decide what services to cut, and which to keep. Look at what happens if parks are not protected:

You read that right - parks could even close, including 'at least one premier award winning park'.

Please support your local park in any way you can; sign this petition, support them if you do the Lewisham Big Budget challenge, but more positively, enjoy them, and spend time in them; that is the best way of show how much we need them. They are great, and they are there for everyone.
JMLF

Re: #LoveParks - SAVE OUR PARKS!

Post by JMLF »

Signed :)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Signed :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Signed

Before Tim builds on them. Mayow Park , watch out.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Crikey, the list of possible cuts is swingeing to say the least, not to mention being a slippery slope - will there eventually only be a few park benches around a tarmac square saying "no ball games"? Also potentially daft in green nature terms including wildlife and water table aspects etc. Yes, we have to pay for preservation and cuts need to be found, but once lost/destroyed, look at how much cost and effort is required to bring even small patches back to life. Can someone turn the people responsible upside down and give them a good shake please.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Signed.

I can't believe this is even on the table as an idea for cuts!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I think sometimes they want to make a statement, by highlighting cuts they know will get the public stirred up and passionate about something they want to keep, I would like to be reassured that they have cut all the waste, ie non council tax payments,over payment on services,etc etc before I would believe them.

It's all political dogs wots it's!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I personally did not vote for the wasters, just to put it on record! :lol:
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:I think sometimes they want to make a statement, by highlighting cuts they know will get the public stirred up and passionate about something they want to keep, I would like to be reassured that they have cut all the waste, ie non council tax payments,over payment on services,etc etc before I would believe them.

If you had your disposable income cut by a third, what sort of statements do you think you might make?

Re Lewisham council tax collection, I can't find chapter and verse on line, but at the last Perry Vale Assembly this came up, and we got a detailed, convincing explanation of the lengths Lewisham Council does go to collect what it is owed, writing off only a very small amount, when it is evidently no longer cost effective to collect.
Billie

Post by Billie »

Is there a charity/fundraising group for Mayow Park? Does anyone manage a programme of events that are held there? I'd be interested in getting involved.
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Billie wrote:Is there a charity/fundraising group for Mayow Park? Does anyone manage a programme of events that are held there? I'd be interested in getting involved.
That is a lovely idea :D

Some events are planned, by the Friends of Mayow Park and others. See the PM I have just sent you for how you can contact me. Like all voluntary groups, we need to find ways to involve everyone in the community who shares our vision.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Tim Lund wrote:
Annie. wrote:I think sometimes they want to make a statement, by highlighting cuts they know will get the public stirred up and passionate about something they want to keep, I would like to be reassured that they have cut all the waste, ie non council tax payments,over payment on services,etc etc before I would believe them.

If you had your disposable income cut by a third, what sort of statements do you think you might make?

Re Lewisham council tax collection, I can't find chapter and verse on line, but at the last Perry Vale Assembly this came up, and we got a detailed, convincing explanation of the lengths Lewisham Council does go to collect what it is owed, writing off only a very small amount, when it is evidently no longer cost effective to collect.

Tim, I have, so I feel I can make a statement. :D

I think a lot of Labour councils try to make a statement against any cuts simply so the residents think Conservative are trying to take money away from areas that they enjoy, and so they will keep voting Labour, which they do! I don't trust Labour with "our" money and never will, this comes from someone who first vote ever was for Harold Wilson, while we are on the subject, the farce of Scotland allowing 16 yr old to vote was wrong, when I first voted I followed my parents as many kids do, you don't necessarily know what's what at that age. I digress.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote: I digress.
Indeed. I've responded on the Lewisham Budget thread, and hopefully we can get this one back on track.

Thanks for signing the petition, BTW :)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

:D