SEE3 Town Team meeting - 7pm Thursday 30 Oct

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
michael

Re: SEE3 Town Team meeting - 7pm Thursday 30 Oct

Post by michael »

Joanne wrote:Louise will be opening up a permanent shop soon. It has no chance of working.
I'm sure everybody else on this forum wishes Louise every success with her new business, and in putting her personal money where her mouth is.
I don't think any new independent business should be attacked in this way before it has even opened. To come from another small business owner is pathetic and discourteous in the extreme.
Joanne wrote:I find your post Stuart rambling and without solutions.
You would do well to take Stuart's advice rather than post more comments of which you really ought to be ashamed.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

Whatever I say is wrong so I will stop posting again.

Surely though if I think a business concept- Louise's new shop- requires a rethink it is better to say it in advance than when it is too late.

As I have tried to explain before I do speak from a position of experience.

I should share that I would have thought?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Joanne,
clearly you know more about why Louise shop won't work, so maybe just saying 'your shop won't work' isn't particularly helpful.

(she of course might disagree, as she's obviously researched the shop she's oppening, and location, etc, so she will think that what she's doing and how she's doing it will work - but the obvious things can sometimes be missed, and seen better by different eyes)

Instead, you could offer reasons as to why you think it won't, and thoughts on how she could mitigate this so that maybe it will work (all of course, in your opinion).

and then you might not have to say 'I told you so' in a few months time.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I think I could add that if I was starting a new business in Sydenham I would appreciate all the help I could get. But if they were problems I would want to know those privately. Dishing my business in public before it has started and on incomplete knowledge (I'm assuming you don't have the business plan) putting my money at needless risk would make me real mad.

Joanne, I think you are confusing what is appropriate to say in public and what in private. It can turn what could be positive into something seen as negative which will rebound on you. If you can't see this then I think you should take your own advice and step away from the SEE3 issue.

Stuart
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

I haven't meant to be insensitive but see that I have been so am sorry.

Can I ask why the new shop is called Shop Revolution and enquiries are to SEE3 web site?

This was why I raised on the forum.

I wish Louise every success with her new venture. My apologies if I have caused concern.

And will not raise the matter again.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

The Shop Revolution is the umbrella brand, which will hopefully link together the various high street regeneration projects and initiatives that I work on. The pop up shops and events for SEE3 fell under this umbrella, as does taking on this permanent space. The model for the shop builds on the pop up initiative in that there will temporary traders taking 'stalls' (for want of a better word) in the shop dependent on seasonality and the retail calendar; this model will sit alongside a permanent coffee shop, groceries and gifts. The Shop Revolution website is due an overhaul to reflect this. I hope that provides some clarity.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I haven't read all of these posts, just skimmed. I think Louise's shop will work. A lot of us have to wander up the other end of the high street for a decent coffee and some bits and bobs. It will be good to have something nearer home that we can pop into. I know myself and G-lady are looking forward to it. And I'm sure they will make us feel loved as customers. Which is why we go to certain shops, eateries in Sydenham anyway - well that and the produce.

G-man