RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Ghlpc

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Ghlpc »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32607286

I know Lee posted a link to this news article a few days ago, but this is from BBC and has some strongly worded quotes from councilers.

It doesn't say what the councils plans are if it is not rebuilt within 18 months.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

There are 4 or 5 guys in hard hats and yellow jackets on site this morning, top of scaffolding and on the ground level so there is some movement today.
parker

Post by parker »

Yes, Purelake are back on site.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I passed by at 9am & 10am and there were only two workmen visible and one small truck. They seemed to be sorting stuff including unlocking one of the retail units - presumably to use as storage.

Took some photos but my mobile seems to have lost them. I'll take some more later.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

And <drum roll> here it is:

Yes, just behind the lady is a small truck. And you can just make out the discarded hi-viz of two workers hiding somewhere. Exciting isn't it?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

There were a few more when I saw them out of my living room window (I live opposite and upstairs so get a birds eye view lol) but a couple of them were just with clipboards so perhaps they got the info they needed and left.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Yey, so happy to see activity on site! :D

The Commander

Post by The Commander »

Saw the little green van with two cheery young men in it waiting to come out into the roundabout at 4.30pm ish. Being the kind hearted person that I am I gave way to the left and let them in. It was only then I noticed Purlake on the side of the van. :shock: Hope this is a good portent.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Just driven past and the little green van is there again and some guys in high viz are knocking about....that's 2 days running!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A little green van and two blokes pottering around pretending to work. Cheaper than getting into legal action with the council.

Cynical? Me?
Maria

Post by Maria »

just passed by and was overjoyed to see a lone man sleeping in the little green van. I approached, apologised profusely for waking him up, and asked about progress. He said it was all on, everything was being done, all the men were working on it. I asked, tentatively, where all those men were - he said it was 10 am so they were having their tea break.

I'm not going to speak to anybody or ask any questions or even look up at it any more - enough is enough it's way, way, too upsetting and it's bad enough that I am still quite unable to recover from the election result....
parker

Post by parker »

10am tea break? You'd know Purelake weren't German...
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

10am break is fine. They start at 8am. Give the workers some slack will you.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Any movement today? #DogWatch :D

G-Man
Gaddison

Post by Gaddison »

At 11:15 was one chap there on scaffolding cleaning and stacking bricks. Seems the brick peaks above the front windows have been removed. No sign anyone else
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

5 men on site at 8.30 am today.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

...and more scaffolding now being erected.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Big skip full of builders rubble and general rubbish that has accumulated on site since it was deserted.....

Things are looking up fellow STF posters! I noticed they had the 'Spring Hill' street sign tucked away inside what is left of the building itself.

As I'm a glass half empty kind of person I'm not getting too excited though. However, nice to get the site cleared - it was gathering rubbish before and looking very sorry for itself.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Yesterday saw the erection of some further scaffolding, the demolition of the rotten wooden 'balcony' above the front door, the removal of the broken lintel above one of the windows, some reasonably enthusiastic measuring up (including for a new lintel) and the replacement of a full skip of rubbish with an empty one.

As I write this there's no one on site, but the things done to date suggest that Purelake will be back - no point in taking measurements or hiring more scaffolding if you don't plan to return!

That said, we all know Purelake's track record, so let's keep a close eye on them.