RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
parker

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by parker »

It was very encouraging to see them working on a Saturday too. Can't wait for that hoarding to go but all in good time for its completion.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Any idea on how long this will actually take? Are there any experts who can comment on whether they are moving at sufficient pace and using enough resources.
The restoration is "delicate" (is it?) and H&S issues abound (do they still?) but we are not restoring the Sistine Chapel here....quite frankly the Victorians would have had skilled labourers all over this by now and made a better job of it (wouldn't they?)
I would really the non "rose tinted" view please...lol
They built just under 1 storey per day of the a Empire State Building back in 1931...
I hammer

Post by I hammer »

That was type of question I'd been dying to ask. Personally I think progress is painfully slow. Almost unacceptable.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Steveofsyd wrote:Any idea on how long this will actually take?
Pat Trembath posted very recently on this thread that completion is expected in September.
I hammer wrote:Personally I think progress is painfully slow. Almost unacceptable.
Whilst I have very little time for Purelake, bear in mind that this is a locally listed building in a conservation area; it's not just a case of sticking a roof on the building, paving the area outside and taking down the hoardings. A lot of the work that has been done over the past few weeks has been fairly painstaking and, as far as I can see, the work is being done to a high standard. That inevitably takes time.

In any case, as I've explained in my posts over the past few weeks, a number of things have been done since rebuilding work began in late May:
- New rafters installed to form the pitched roof
- Three new gables (re)built at the front of the building, including one with a porthole window
- New lintels installed
- Brickwork repaired - a painstaking exercise which included replacing cracked bricks which ran almost the full height of the building in two locations
- Several chimney stacks rebuilt
- Gables at each end of the building repaired
- Decorative elements on the gables reinstated

Don't forget that the Greyhound looked like this until very recently. We've come quite a long way in the past nine weeks.

If it helps to reassure you, there should be some more visible progress over the next couple of weeks as the roof takes shape. In fact, if you stand outside Orange Blossom bridalwear shop and look towards the Greyhound you can see that the roof at the rear is already well advanced.

I urge a little patience. I'd rather that we get a high quality rebuild over six months than a second rate rebuild over three months.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Thanks Biscuitman
I think I understand the need for a proper and worthy restoration, but again I ask, why are there not more people doing this restoration...and why not working at least 7-8 hour days 6 days a week like most have to? PAINSTAKING doesn't even come close to describing this whole process from start to finish....
I'm sure there are many LISTED (not "listed" as in this case) buildings around London that are being restored rather more quickly and with more effort....
Like everyone on here I want it done properly but they seem to be making a bit of a meal of it...let's be honest and stop patting them on the back....rather than giving them the jolly good whipping they deserve.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Anyway I've had my rant...lol...so wait for this increase in activity with bated breath....
Does anyone know that if, let's say it's completed by Christmas, if there is anyone lined up to take it on?
I presume that Purelake won't be fitting it out, bathrooms, bars, plumbing, and all the accoutrements of a lovely pub...so how long does that take?
Will the shell be restored and then boarded up for another year or so?

That's my worry!!!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Bathrooms? In a pub?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Alright....Bogs for you lot still stuck in the dark ages..... :lol:
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Steveofsyd wrote:Alright....Bogs for you lot still stuck in the dark ages..... :lol:
Or "Pissoir" if you are posh.... or French :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is a tudis around the corner if you are caught short.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

leenewham wrote:There is a tudis around the corner if you are caught short.
Hahahahha... we really need a "Thumbs Up" function on this forum :)
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Steveofsyd wrote:Thanks Biscuitman
I think I understand the need for a proper and worthy restoration, but again I ask, why are there not more people doing this restoration...and why not working at least 7-8 hour days 6 days a week like most have to? PAINSTAKING doesn't even come close to describing this whole process from start to finish....
I'm sure there are many LISTED (not "listed" as in this case) buildings around London that are being restored rather more quickly and with more effort....
Like everyone on here I want it done properly but they seem to be making a bit of a meal of it...let's be honest and stop patting them on the back....rather than giving them the jolly good whipping they deserve.
I pat people on the back where credit is due. The workers on site are, it appears, restoring the pub to a high standard, and I commend them for that.

Purelake, on the other hand, have treated the people of Sydenham with contempt. I've been one of their biggest critics. But I don't see any benefit in giving them a 'jolly good whipping' now that they are finally rebuilding and restoring the pub, are making steady progress in doing so and are doing so to a high standard.

If work is a long way off being finished by the end of September I'll want to know why. In the meantime, I know it's frustrating when there are odd days when there's no one on site, but I'm happy to live with that if we end up with a high quality output.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Agree. It's starting to look fantastic.

All effort should go into getting a decent business to operate in it.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

leenewham wrote:Agree. It's starting to look fantastic.

All effort should go into getting a decent business to operate in it.
PLEASE NO WETHERSPOONS! :) :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Must admit it is looking good , indeed better than I can recall.

However can they get rid of the apartments behind. Just do not go together.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I think it was said that once the building itself is finished (even though not fitted out and operational) it would be sufficient for the hoardings to be removed.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Ok, I will try to be patient :roll:
The last good memory I have is of having a nice few pints outside with 16 friends before being picked up by a coach to take me to my "Stag do"....16 years ago this month!

Any news on the other unit occupiers? Is Sainsburys still moving in (hope not) ...what about the rest?
Also what about the unit opposite ?..still a wine bar?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Latest picture update:-
Work on the rear of the roof cover went on last week, they have also been doing some work on internal walls which may not show well in the picture.

gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I too am watching the rebirth of the Greyhound with varying degrees of excitement tinged with scepticism. We must be careful we don't become too enthralled and grateful to the prodigal Purelake just because they have graced Sydenham and the long overdue work with their two workmen. I agree they should have more than two workmen on this job - indeed they should have workmen crawling all over the site. But they are not are they? Could it be because they are getting nothing out of this project now in terms of profit? Perhaps they see two workmen on site as being just what they think of the whole affair.

That said - I'm looking forward to seeing the Conservatory emerge and welcoming Sainsburys to the site - if only that hopefully that they will keep that back passage clean and tidy instead of a rubbish dump. Oh and of course it will be dead handy for that odd pint of milk, etc. I'd rather have a Sainsburys there than another betting shop, pound shop or nail bar, to be honest.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

If they were going to have a Supermarket chain, then at least something different that offers something we don't already have.....a Marks and Spencer's or a Waitrose ....
I would have much rather the whole area be handed overr to on eateries ....

People see not going to come into the area for a small Sainsburys....so again lack of imagination and marketing by Lewisham..

Compare with what Bromley have done with their "Squares" or East Street and Bromley North