RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Steveofsyd wrote:If they were going to have a Supermarket chain, then at least something different that offers something we don't already have.....a Marks and Spencer's or a Waitrose ....
Are you suggesting that the owner of the units should leave one of them vacant in the hope that M&S or Waitrose might one day want to open a store, even though that situation might never arise? Far more likely that he/she would accept a decent offer from a retailer which is willing to pay a reasonable rent and is keen to move in as soon as possible.
Steveofsyd wrote:so again lack of imagination and marketing by Lewisham
Lewisham Council doesn't own the units, so why would it be marketing them?
gillyjp

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by gillyjp »

I would really love a Waitrose or a M & S food outlet in that space but the reality is this is Sydenham! Much as I love my hometown I don't think we could ever merit one of those or rather, should I say, neither of those two would see this area as a viable option. So stuff 'em - we'll take Sainsbury's any day of the week thank you very much.

I've also heard that there may be a Zizzy's along the front which would also be welcome but not sure whether this was just a rumour. It would be good to see that walkway (not the rear walkway with the mosaic on it) but the one that falls down the side of the flats from the high street, with tables, chairs and parasols and people enjoying a coffee and a croissant.

The conservatory is an interesting addition and I'm glad that planning permission was finally granted. The pub - without all it's extensions - is quite small so it will need all the extra room that a conservatory can bring.

Fingers crossed it will be up and running by Christmas but I wont be holding my breath....
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

gillyjp wrote:I would really love a Waitrose or a M & S food outlet in that space but the reality is this is Sydenham! Much as I love my hometown I don't think we could ever merit one of those or rather, should I say, neither of those two would see this area as a viable option. So stuff 'em - we'll take Sainsbury's any day of the week thank you very much.
I agree!

gillyjp wrote:The conservatory is an interesting addition and I'm glad that planning permission was finally granted. The pub - without all it's extensions - is quite small so it will need all the extra room that a conservatory can bring.
As far as I know, permission hasn't been granted for the conservatory yet. A planning application has been submitted, but a decision is still awaited.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

You know very well what I mean....it was not too long ago that the great and good on this forum were complaining about companies like Tesco, Sainsburys (more of the same) moving in....they are offering nothing different...
Is it not the council that determines usage...they could have made it non retail...and Purelake would have to have accepted as a condition of being allowed to built the God awful flats

My knowledge of the situation as regards the ownership may be limited but my sentiments are spot on.
I , like many are continually frustrated by the shoddy efforts in Sydenham....look at this debacle that has continued for years, the toilet, the wreck in Venner Sq...

We have spent a fortune on paving with no foresight as to how to maintain them, the lighting has not been well planned round the station...the shop fronts are generally shoddy....the council can make rules...do they care...no!

Look at Bromley's regeneration vs Catford .
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

What would it take to move Sydenham into either Southwark or Bromley?

Our general experience with Lewisham council has been diabolical at best. Surely there is a way out of this borough?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Move from Lewisham - here's an idea....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport_to_Pimlico
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

biscuitman1978 : wrote:

As far as I know, permission hasn't been granted for the conservatory yet. A planning application has been submitted, but a decision is still awaited.

Really biscuitman? Oh no - but, having worked for a local authority (not Lewisham I hasten to add) for quite a few years and a stint in Planning & Environment as it was called then, why does that not surprise me?

I hope permission is granted for the conservatory - it will be good to have a modern take on the place. Sometimes old and new sit well together - case in point are the modern ORB apartments opposite the Greyhound. I think they look great and add a certain quirkiness to the Sydenham Gateway.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Are the chimney stacks functional or are they just decorative?
They seem to just be balanced on top of the walls.

I'm just curious how the landlord will heat the flagons of ale and cook the roast beasty if there isn't a roaring fire...
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I haven't seen anyone on site this week and pretty sure there was no one last week either...
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Parker1970 wrote:I haven't seen anyone on site this week and pretty sure there was no one last week either...
It's now two and a half weeks since there was any work on site. I think that it's reasonable enough for Purelake to have allowed the guys on site a couple of weeks' holiday, but Purelake are going to need to get people back on site quickly if they are going to get the pub rebuilt by the end of September as planned.

Given the lack of action on site, Pat Trembath of the Sydenham Society is, I understand, seeking an update on progress from the Head of Planning at Lewisham. I'm sure she'll report whatever she finds out in due course.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes walked past twice today and very quiet.

Surely Purelake more than 2 staff on their books.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

I thought it was common knowledge that ALL building firms close for two weeks for the summer holidays as is customary at Christmas too.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

gillyjp wrote:I thought it was common knowledge that ALL building firms close for two weeks for the summer holidays as is customary at Christmas too.
Is this serious? I have just looked out of my office window and there a cranes and builders a-plenty milling about.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

And they're still hard at it rebuilding Sydenham School.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Pathetic and incredibly annoying. Absolute tosh about the holidays!
KEO

Post by KEO »

End of September seems impossible sadly. I'm hoping it'll be open in time for Christmas festivities.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

In response to a query from the Sydenham Society about the apparent lack of activity on site we have been advised that planners "have recently spoken to Purelake who advise that works on the exterior of the building have ceased temporarily whilst bargeboards and rafters are being manufactured/ prepared by two workers inside the building. When these are ready, the remaining works to the roof will then commence. To date, no indication has been given about when the mezzanine will be removed, or when works will be completed. Council Officers will be visiting the site on Friday (today) to inspect the works undertaken."

We have responded to Lewisham commenting that (a) the bargeboards and rafters have already been installed and (b) to local residents observing the site on a daily basis, there has been no one inside the building for nearly 3 weeks.

However, as Council Officers are visiting the site today we will await a report from them as to what they find is happening on site.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

You couldn't make it up, no one would believe it was true.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Steveofsyd wrote:Pathetic and incredibly annoying. Absolute tosh about the holidays!
Ok - keep your hair on - just giving them the benefit of the doubt. Anyway I'd lay money on those two Purelake chaps being on their holidays. Some Builders do close and they definitely close for 2 weeks at Christmas.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Oh come on.....really???!!!
Give Purelake the benefit of the doubt....don't make me laugh too much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if the 2 builders are on holiday, what about some more.? They had a lot more builders putting up those crappy flats.....what about some of them....and don't tell me we only need craftsmen because I can see a lot of building work on houses at least as old as the Greygound going on around Sydenham and quite frankly a lot more in other parts of London.