RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by mosy »

I'm inclined to agree. There was hardly a day when no-one was working on flats erected opposite (the almost Frank Gehr inspired ones; different contractor of course). Clearly The Greyhound is not and never has been the top of Purelake's priority list. Now that's news ;)

One of things we were told to look forward to was the building being finished to the stage where at least the hoardings would be removed. I wonder what the new date for that is?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Steveofsyd wrote:Oh come on.....really???!!!
Give Purelake the benefit of the doubt....don't make me laugh too much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if the 2 builders are on holiday, what about some more.? They had a lot more builders putting up those crappy flats.....what about some of them....and don't tell me we only need craftsmen because I can see a lot of building work on houses at least as old as the Greygound going on around Sydenham and quite frankly a lot more in other parts of London.
Yes well my post about giving Purelake the benefit of the doubt was somewhat tongue in cheek! Comments in my earlier post on this subject did suggest that as Purelake were not getting any money out of this now, then they are only going to commit the minimum of their workforce to it. Unless someone in authority can crack a huge whip at them (Lewisham council? Ha ha don't make me laugh) then they will continue to delay and mess about and treat this whole saga with the contempt they clearly think it deserves. It's a shame as the 'Gateway' to Sydenham is looking woeful despite all the attempts at reinventing the high street.

We are thinking of doing some guerrilla gardening on that dull roundabout - could they really not come up with something a bit more cheerful??
mosy

Post by mosy »

Cheerful roundabout welcome? I still reckon a fountain - always have, ever since leenewham suggested the Sydenham dragon as an emblem. Fountains are "alive" (the dragon could spout water) and probably need less maintenance than plantings.

Also, and I hardly day say this, it could serve two purposes given the station loo doesn't seem to be opening any time soon ;)
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Yes, all very disappointing.... if you walk around much of London, there are building operations going on every day of the week.... look how quickly the building around Battersea Power Station have shot up.....

My fear would be that what HAS been built back into place, could it self be at risk, being open to the elements.....

Al that said, with a glass half full (no pun intended), I do look forward to this being completed (eventually)....

Gillyip - In case you read this post, you mentioned about a Zizzi rumour?? Where did you hear that? And where would that be in situ?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Well those buildings shooting up elsewhere in London all have one thing in common - profit - or greed more like. Purelake probably getting a great big fat zero from completing the Greyhound build so why are they going to rush themselves?

Not sure where I heard the rumour about Zizzis but it would be the units under the front of the flats (currently being used by Purelake as a storage area) which meet up with the Fish & Chip shop. Sainsburys will be the units under the flats which are side on to Spring Hill and directly opposite Lee's ceramic Greyhound feature.

I would like to see previously mentioned roundabout housing this year's Sydenham Christmas tree rather than as in previous years, stuck at a jaunty angle outside the now renamed (Naborhood!) centre. Not too much to ask surely?
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Thanks Gillyjp.... If there is any more news on who may be occupying those units please spill the beans....

Re the roundabout, I've always thought it would be fantastic to have a large bronze statue to one of Sydenham's historic residents... e.g. John Logie Baird, or WG Grace or Ernest Shackleton..... That wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I am a great fan of sculpture, and such a statue would certainly give that area a real presence and be a talking point (as opposed to a boring round about)...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's a nice idea FromCtoChiningC.

They could have been in the squares. Shackleton Square anyone?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I agree.

I'd go for Shackleton.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Howabout leaving it as Cobb's Corner.

Walter did a great deal for the area.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote:I'd go for Shackleton.
Nobody admires Shackleton more than me. But I'd go for Cicely Saunders.

Why? Well unlike Shackleton she chose to live in Sydenham. She did her most memorable work in Sydenham. Her gratest memorial is still here in Sydenham. Nowhere, including Westminster Abbey, has a greater claim.

A statue perhaps pointing the way up Lawrie Park Road might be very nice ...

Stuart
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Can we PLEASE not have a statue? Added to the mosaic on the Naborhood Centre and the art naff-ometer would go off the scale. I wouldn't be opposed to a sculpture, though.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Statues are sculpture aren't they? They don't have to be naff.

I'd go for a few, I rather like this approach:

Far more interesting than the dull, off the peg benches we have currently. The ones in Lower Sydenham by the library have a sense of place (hats off to all that made that happen and a testament to having design involved in high street schemes rather than accountants and council procurement and highways departments).

This was discussed at one of the talking shops (aka the assembly) where things like the details ing of the high street schemes, bins, seating, lighting and the turdis was discussed, but it appears as if everything that was discussed and promises made was ignored, probably due to the councils ridiculous procurement policies, which is why I think it's pointless raising it at assembly meetings as nothing seems to come from them.

I wouldn't just wait for the assembly, I'd pester local cllrs, mayors, local activists, other campaigners from other parties etc.
Last edited by leenewham on 24 Aug 2015 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Rachael wrote:Can we PLEASE not have a statue? Added to the mosaic on the Naborhood Centre and the art naff-ometer would go off the scale. I wouldn't be opposed to a sculpture, though.
Happy to defer to others' judgements on this.

Would you want something figurative or representational at all?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lee: statues (figures) are all sculptures. Sculptures are not all statues. I hate each and every example you just posted. Utterly naff. Yeah, I know, just my opinion.

I know this is all speculative, but if someone were to commission something for the roundabout, I'd want to see something abstract. Bronze is ideal, a Henry Moore would be perfect. I hear Dulwich Park lost theirs, if anyone knows where it is, plunk it down on our roundabout, we'll take care of it!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I don't go with Rachael's iconoclastic tastes - perhaps she's a secret Muslim? I've nothing against abstract sculptures, but, being a person myself, I quite like statues of people.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No problem Rachael, shame you don't like the ones by the library, I think they were fab.

Realistically, there isn't going to be a Henry Moore on the roundabout, and it's not exactly relevant, but the idea of putting art in the area, be it a square, roundabout, outside the station etc is a good one.

I love the ones on benches and have seen it a lot, but the best bit is seeing people interact with them. Having art that is more than something to look at but you touch, sit, act etc along side it is lovely.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Robin Orton wrote:I don't go with Rachael's iconoclastic tastes - perhaps she's a secret Muslim? I've nothing against abstract sculptures, but, being a person myself, I quite like statues of people.
Not a secret Muslim, but I did do my Ph.D at that hotbed of activism, the University of Westminster. What did I write my doctoral thesis on? Funny you should ask. It was on the use of art in public places...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

leenewham wrote:No problem Rachael, shame you don't like the ones by the library, I think they were fab.

Realistically, there isn't going to be a Henry Moore on the roundabout, and it's not exactly relevant, but the idea of putting art in the area, be it a square, roundabout, outside the station etc is a good one.

I love the ones on benches and have seen it a lot, but the best bit is seeing people interact with them. Having art that is more than something to look at but you touch, sit, act etc along side it is lovely.
That's why they aren't suitable for the roundabout. Any figure on there would stand in splendid isolation, look-but-don't-touch. To me that is both old-fashioned and off-putting. While I don't like those figures on benches personally, I can see they have a role (although their very ubiquity is becoming a problem) where people can interact with them. A single figure on a pedestal (or a roundabout) is a figure of authority, not inclusion.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote: What did I write my doctoral thesis on? Funny you should ask. It was on the use of art in public places...
Gosh. I guess we' d all better shut up then.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Robin Orton wrote:
Rachael wrote: What did I write my doctoral thesis on? Funny you should ask. It was on the use of art in public places...
Gosh. I guess we' d all better shut up then.
I don't think I will ever, EVER, again get the chance to pull rank by virtue of my Ph.D, I'm making the most of it.