RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by leenewham »

I think we were talking at crossed purposes, I was talking about putting some in other locations. None of the examples were for the roundabout.

If we like the idea of SOMETHING on the roundabout, any not get the local powers that be to support it, such as the local cllrs/council/Sydenham Society/arts festival. Nothing really happens without their backing locally.

Then put it out there as a competitive tender for local (within a 5 miles radius or ones that have previous links to Sydenham) artists to solve?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Back on topic.

I've been told that work on The Greyhound is due to recommence this week, with tomorrow likely to be when they return to site. I'm trying to discover if there is a revised timetable for completion.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Pat Trembath wrote:Back on topic.

I've been told that work on The Greyhound is due to recommence this week, with tomorrow likely to be when they return to site. I'm trying to discover if there is a revised timetable for completion.
Aye, there was someone on site this morning when I went to work.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote:I don't think I will ever, EVER, again get the chance to pull rank by virtue of my Ph.D, I'm making the most of it.
Could you post the abstract of your thesis, so that we can know what it's safe to challenge you on and what it's not?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

If you are desparate to talk about statues and the roundabout and PhDs why not start a new topic?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Sorry, miss. But it were them girls what started it.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are you being a naughty boy Robin?

Some more pictures of the Greyhound victorian tiles here (among others):
https://www.facebook.com/JWRestoration/photos_stream
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

they're doing what they're contractually obliged to (and not a jot more), if we think they're slacking we can always complain to Lewisham, and or Purelake themselves. Probably better though to wait till they say they've finished.

I'm sure that our combined voices of disgust, helped to get the project back on track after the whole thing stalled, so we know that we have a voice, and that it can produce results.

if necessary revert to the old maxim that he who shouts loudest gets the most - if we're not happy with the end result, we complain, and we keep on complaining to as many people as possible, making as much noise as possible, causing the most harm to the reputation of Purelake, or the most embarassment, or the most of whatever works to those who need their arses kicked.

we shouldn't let people walk all over us in the name of making a profit.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

It's good to see the lively debate on my idea for a statue in the traffic island. I won't milk it on this post, and instead will possibly open another post once the pub is nearing completion (hopefully not too long!!!)

I stand by my original thought re the statue. I am fond, to a degree, of post WW2 scupture, but in my view one cannot beat good sturdy hearty Victorian or Edwardian type sculpture in the form of statues - and Sydenham had such a hey day in that era, so why not celebrate our sons and daughters (born here or adopted into SE26).

That would transform that area from bland, into memorable. I don't think bronze statues of heroes or heroines are naff or old fashioned - we should be proud of our ancestors....

Now, no more statues - and back to the pub :)
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Can we settle for a couple of greyhounds as part of the planning permission outside the front door of the pub for a starter?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Does anyone know why it was called The Greyhound in the first place, or if it was a later given name and if so why? As there were stables alongside, why greyhound and not coach and horses?

Is the name The Greyhound itself set in stone in any legally preserved way? Could a new owner or lessee call it something else?

I'm not keen on greyhound effigies since some (living) greyhounds reportedly are literally cast out or abandoned once no longer profitable. Not a good omen for longevity methinks, or at least I've never thought of greyhounds as being timeless in the way that lion emblems are, not that lions ever roamed in Sydenham or UK ;)
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There's been a "Greyhound" pub on this site since 1719 - for nearly 300 years. I don't see any reason for changing its name after all this time.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I don't either, but it's not my pub. I was asking whether an owner/lessee could change the name.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Any new tenant would be daft to change the name.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not Slug and Lettuce please.

God forbid
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Actually, greyhounds could feature on the roundabout and Purelake could sponsor as the theme then ties in and promotes the pub. Bearing the cost would be one way of helping to compensate us all for the damage to our high street. It's time for them to get on with this now (they must have a construction plan by law and therefore a programme for the works - perhaps if they could declare this?)
A bit more wow factor (and momentum) would help to swallow the bitter pill.
......A pint would be nice too!
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Yeah - stick with that name.

THere's a great pub in Dulwich Village called the Greyhound (I think, anyway). So I say let's get a pub built first - the name is the least of our troubles!
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Given Greyhounds are renowned for their speed, isn't it ironic the name is going to be forever linked with Purelake in the history of Sydenham?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Tee hee. I'd be surprised if planning permission would be given to tortoise effigies ;) You're probably thinking more in terms of Purelake images on a dartboard, iandavenport, which could get a few votes... :mrgreen:

I still don't know (or who to ask) if the name could be changed or if there's any restriction on this locally conservated(?) pub. Pubs often change names once taken over. Promoting statues of greyhounds just seems a bit of a waste of time, money and planning permission effort if incongruous if the name could/were to be changed either immediately or subsequently. It just seems sensible to ask for the facts. Opinions are neither here nor there without knowing them first.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Just passed The Greyhound on the bus and noted that work is going on on the roof - felting has been completed and framework for the tiling was being installed.