RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Maria wrote:The are outside is huge: won't there be enough space for tables and chairs outside - does anybody know if that's a plan?
The approved plans do show external tables and chairs, but their installation may depend on who occupies the Greyhound building.

I suspect pub operators will be keen on external tables and chairs, but it may not be a requirement for some restaurant operators.
parker

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by parker »

If it opens as a Gourmet Burger Kitchen or Nando's I'll may as well live above it.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

parker wrote:If it opens as a Gourmet Burger Kitchen or Nando's I'll may as well live above it.
Me too! Must be a "Parker" thing. Though I can be quite happy living where I am... dead opposite it :)
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Hope it opens as a pub rather than a chain restaurant.
Liliput

Post by Liliput »

I heard the developers were making the building watertight only, and who ever rents/buys will have to fully fit out.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Liliput wrote:I heard the developers were making the building watertight only, and who ever rents/buys will have to fully fit out.
The legal agreement attached to the 2010 planning permission obliges Purelake to 'restore and refurbish' the building, with the restoration and refurbishment works to be agreed with and approved by Lewisham Council.

To my knowledge, the agreed and approved works focus largely on the external parts of the building, although some internal changes have been agreed:
- The unauthorised floor must be removed
- The drinking corridor tiles (which were carefully removed from the building prior to its substantial demotion) must be installed inside the building, adjacent to the main door

If fit out is ultimately left to a future occupier, it's worth bearing in mind - lest anybody be concerned - that any sale price or rental agreement would take into account fit out costs. As a result, a requirement for the future occupier to fit out the building need not be a barrier to occupation of the building - unless Purelake want to hold out for an unreasonable sale price or rent.
simono

Post by simono »

I see that the planning permission for the side extension and rear staricase has just been granted. The extension looks really tasteful and will hopefully create a more useable space for a future tenant.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

One thing I was pondering the other day: doesn't the close proximity of the building to the flats behind it make it extremely unlikely that it will ever be a pub again?

I can't see many landlords or even established pub-chains wanting to take it on, given the inevitability of noise complaints.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Couldn't you say that about any accommodation located on a high street. Would have thought traffic noise would be more of an issue.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Also, the proximity to a pub must have been a consideration for people when buying / letting a flat.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Whiftoff wrote:Couldn't you say that about any accommodation located on a high street. Would have thought traffic noise would be more of an issue.

As someone who lives opposite, Yes, if we can handle the traffic noise (motorbikes, emergency vehicles, road rage) I doubt that the pub will be too much of an issue. Most if not all the nearby flats have double glazing. The only noise I hear from the Pavillion is their Karaoke night and even then I can only barely hear it.
mosy

Post by mosy »

How interesting. I'd have thought that limited delivery access to the pub would be a greater concern. (Not that I know anything about how that is intended to be possible.)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy wrote:How interesting. I'd have thought that limited delivery access to the pub would be a greater concern. (Not that I know anything about how that is intended to be possible.)
Most pubs have their beer delivery once a week and if they are in a high traffic area, it is usually at the crack of the sparrow. I was very unlucky when I ran pubs, every single one had a 630am Monday morning delivery (or Dray as they call it).. 5 different pubs, same unfortunate early wake up.

Food deliveries may have more of an issue, but there is always the side street there that they can temproraily stop on I guess.
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

Delivery access for the Greyhound will be considerably easier than it is for the Pavilion. It won't be a problem.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks both. I'm delighted to hear that deliveries should not be considered to be a concern.
parker

Post by parker »

mosy wrote:How interesting. I'd have thought that limited delivery access to the pub would be a greater concern. (Not that I know anything about how that is intended to be possible.)
This is no personal attack Mosy but I don't think deliveries would be an issue, there are far more built up pub locations that stand in front of bus lanes in London that cope, why on earth wouldn't this. I think the same people that thought delivery access to Tesco express in Kirkdale before that opened would be an issue are the same people thinking it about anywhere new like this that opens. With the amount of notorious traffic that part of Sydenham usually endures most of the time they could probably unload while in the traffic jam bang outside the pub and not have to park at all...!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi parker. Accomplishing deliveries wasn't a loaded question, just wondering about the logistics is all. Parker1970 mentioned "dray" and it reminded me of those cellars where pavement doors lifted up and barrels rolled down a chute. Landing a helicopter on a peaked roof probably not feasible, so again glad deliveries aren't foreseen as a concern :)

You're right about the traffic being "parked" anyway at some times ;) It was static around 4.30pm today, so ouch and a hug for patient drivers.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The latest news is that "the unauthorised mezzanine floor was finally removed on Wednesday. The drinking corridor tiles were installed on Friday. Works are ongoing re the installation of windows/ doors, whilst the plinths/ greyhounds will be completed within the next few days."

Whilst we agree that the unauthorised mezzanine floor has been removed we are seeking confirmation that the RSJs supporting the floor have also been removed.

However it does look as though the end of the rebuild is in sight. We now await news of who will be taking on the building and what offer will be brought to the high street.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

I must say, having walked past The Greyhound over the last few days, it is looking glorious (so far).... I think they have plinths outside now, for the lovely new greyhounds (yet to be added).... it all looks very smart and (most importantly) has been built in a very sympathetic manner (i.e. keeping to traditional aesthetics).
Well done to everyone involved. I know the wait has been a long one, but the building is looking superb.... Roll on completion and opening!
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

FromCtoShiningC wrote:I must say, having walked past The Greyhound over the last few days, it is looking glorious (so far).... I think they have plinths outside now, for the lovely new greyhounds (yet to be added).... it all looks very smart and (most importantly) has been built in a very sympathetic manner (i.e. keeping to traditional aesthetics).
Well done to everyone involved. I know the wait has been a long one, but the building is looking superb.... Roll on completion and opening!
I#d been quite ill for a while and was shocked that work has been restarted on it.

My flabber was well and truly gasted. :D

I hope they make it Sports free that would ease pressure on The Pavillion.