RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Eagle »

Not sure much demand for a bloody coffee. Language please , ladies use this Forum.

You can never have to many coffee shops.
stuart

Post by stuart »

rod taylor wrote:If you're alluding to a difference in quality between those three chains it's lost on me. They all seem same sh*t, different day.
I agree. I can't quite see the USP for any of these chains in Sydenham. Better coffee? Cheaper coffee? Better cakes? Better or faster service? More pleasant or unique environment? None of these register on my Richter scale.. Am I missing something?

Whereas I think all of the local cafes here can make a good claim to at least one. So who would drink at CostaPretNero if they had a choice and why?

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

stuart wrote:
rod taylor wrote:If you're alluding to a difference in quality between those three chains it's lost on me. They all seem same sh*t, different day.
I agree. I can't quite see the USP for any of these chains in Sydenham. Better coffee? Cheaper coffee? Better cakes? Better or faster service? More pleasant or unique environment? None of these register on my Richter scale.. Am I missing something?

Whereas I think all of the local cafes here can make a good claim to at least one. So who would drink at CostaPretNero if they had a choice and why?

Stuart
parker wrote:There's definitely room for a chain coffee shop in Sydenham Road. At least then Sydenham might have somewhere with a 5 FSA hygiene rating to get a coffee and sandwich from and might smarten the place up a bit.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote:
parker wrote:. A Pret or Caffe Nero would be nice but think they'd be sick in the mouth at the thought of opening in Sydenham, it'll probably be a Costa if a chain coffee shop comes to Sydenham.
If you're alluding to a difference in quality between those three chains it's lost on me. They all seem same sh*t, different day.
I thought Caffe Nero was generally held to be quite good. I had a very nice Americano there the other day.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

sugahill cafe wrote:I was speaking to the guys at Nisa local yesterday & in his own words 'we don't know what to do' since the opening of Sainsburys there trade has dropped off dramatically such a shame they are nice people no doubt an opening of a generic coffee shop here would do the same to us & probably blue mountain also.A strong traders group could could oppose such openings but we don't have one I know in fh the traders halted an opening of another supermarket there (can't remember which one now). I hope the Greyhound becomes a pub & something different to what is currently on offer but permission for a Costa etc to arrive there would not surprise me the powers that be here really lack some vision.
With the re-opening of the gym next door to Nisa, this may well see a swell of custom which wouldn't have been there for the last few months...
FromCtoShiningC

Parker1970 wrote:
sugahill cafe wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:The spare retail unit that was the site office for sainsbury is a hive of activity today. Moving in wood and shelving etc. Not sure if it now site office for greyhound or if someone is moving into the retail space.
We have heard a rumour today regarding this unit.
Well don't tease! What was the rumour?
Indeed - pray tell? is this a material rumour? if so, what? Thanks.......
Pally

Post by Pally »

sugahill cafe wrote:I was speaking to the guys at Nisa local yesterday & in his own words 'we don't know what to do' since the opening of Sainsburys there trade has dropped off dramatically such a shame they are nice people no doubt an opening of a generic coffee shop here would do the same to us & probably blue mountain also.A strong traders group could could oppose such openings but we don't have one I know in fh the traders halted an opening of another supermarket there (can't remember which one now). I hope the Greyhound becomes a pub & something different to what is currently on offer but permission for a Costa etc to arrive there would not surprise me the powers that be here really lack some vision.
Sugahill do you know why is there not a strong traders association I Sydenham ....what is the difference to Forest Hill?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

It's quite frustrating to post something about The Greyhound on 24 March which is lost in the chatter about coffee shops.

To repeat
Purelake confirm that their recent marketing literature has been aimed at pub operators.

The property is to be sold with the purchaser being made fully aware of its recently acquired legal, and existing planning status – as an Asset of Community Value.

It will be for the purchaser to assess how their proposed use fits in with that framework. Purelake is encouraged to have received a number of offers from ‘independent ‘gastro pub type operators and will be using use the remainder of the ACV moratorium period to 28 April to verify the viability of these offers.
A further update is that the second retail unit has been let on a six month short term basis to Sydenham Beds who will use it as a showroom to publicise their wares. Their main point of sale is anticipated to be from their current retail units near Kent House Road.

This will mean the doors will be open to the public and, hopefully, to longer term restaurateurs, retailers who may show interest in taking on this unit. The windows will remain boarded up.

We are aware that an estate agent has showed interest in taking a Lease on this unit but for the time being an A1 retail, A3 restaurant usage is still the preferred option.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Pat Trembath wrote:We are aware that an estate agent has showed interest in taking a Lease on this unit
Oh Gawd - not Foxtons?

Stuart
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

No, not Foxtons
FromCtoShiningC

Pat - thanks very much for the updates you have posted. In between the chat on coffee shops I did spot that VERY important one :-)

Re the second shop unit, it's good that it will be used as opposed to being empty, although to continue being boarded up seems unusual and not overly helping the aesthetics of that unit (boarded up shops convey a certain 'absent' notion).

If, on the other hand, the occupier covers over the current MDF/wood with something pleasing to the eye that would make more sense (aesthetically for the people of SE26, security wise (as it won't look empty) and also I'm sure with some clever advertising for the occupier - although that would be their call.... I think some lovely Sydenham related art work could also look wonderful)...
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I agree - to leave it boarded up is a disgrace
parker

Post by parker »

Well this is kind of sh!t news, but thanks Pat for the information.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Pally wrote:
Sugahill do you know why is there not a strong traders association I Sydenham ....what is the difference to Forest Hill?
Hi Pally, There is no traders association in Sydenham strong or otherwise & there should not be any difference to Foresthill so you tell me?
As for our bed showroom I can't wait for that....I did hear a rumour of it being an estate agents too which I referred to in my earlier post.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Let's try to be positive regarding the second unit. It's not going to be a long term estate agent - at least not at this point in time.

Ok, so the wndows which might cost £15-20k to install, will not be done at this stage. This unit will be a kind of pop-up shop - open for anyone, including possible longer term lessees, to call in anytime without need to make an appointment with an agent whose job it is to put pressure on to rent.

Cherry and Ice used the original SEE3 pop-up shop to go in several times, measure up, and plan and cost, before they made an offer to rent long term. Almost all of the other SEE3 pop-up shops (although glazed) were let because of the fact they were open to inspect.

A short-term let pays the Head Leaseholder's rental costs and buys time for a longer term tenant to come onboard. With Sainsury's trading and a pub likely to be fitting out in the next few months, hopefully this unit will become attractive to more interesting offers - the type of which we are all hoping to see continue to regenerate to our area.
FromCtoShiningC

Thanks Pat.....

Best wishes to the new venture in that unit....

Does anyone have any news on the Greyhound itself? I believe Pat has said offers are being considered during April.... but are there are rumours?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

On STF there are always rumours, FCtSC - what good are rumours?

The Greyhound is 'Under Offer' but until after 28 April that is where matters stay. Meanwhile the ACV moratorium provides time for due diligence to be undertaken.

The building itself is a shell and will need to be completley fitted out so, even with a completion sometime hopefully in May, it will still be a 3-4 month process before the doors open.
poppy

Post by poppy »

I must admit I have not been following all this in any detail over the years but, it just occurred to me, if some glass could be put in those windows, which from a quick scan it looks like there is not, wouldn't they be a great spot for some Pop Up shops for now?

I think some of the previous ones have suffered from poor locations in Sydenham but this end of the high street would be a much better proposition, because of people coming from far and wide to use the bookshop for example, proximity to the station and a mid-point between upper and lower Sydenhams - and once we get that end of Sydenham Road thriving there should be a trickle down affect to the other end and up to Kirkdale shopping parade, possibly.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

poppy wrote:I must admit I have not been following all this in any detail over the years...
Not been following the Greyhound saga? You've missed out! :wink:
poppy wrote:t just occurred to me, if some glass could be put in those windows, which from a quick scan it looks like there is not, wouldn't they be a great spot for some Pop Up shops for now?

A nice idea, but:
- As Pat Trembath explains just a few posts above, installing windows might cost £15-20k - that's a lot of money to spend to allow some pop-up shops to operate
- As Pat Trembath also explains just a few posts above, the unit has already been let on a short-term basis to Sydenham Beds, albeit as a windowless showroom

In any case, the unit is now under offer, as you can see here and on the sign on the building, so the unit may well be permanently occupied in the near future. By whom or by what, I do not know. Time will tell...
FromCtoShiningC

Is the 'under offer' relating to the Sydenham Beds venture in there now? Or a longer term commitment from another company? The latter would appear more logical, but does anyone have that knowledge?
Thanks all