RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Pally »

Steveofsyd wrote:My God!!! I despair with this forum.
We wait bloody years to get the pub up and running and before it opens people are already picking holes before EVEN GOING THERE!!!!!!!!
It’s enough to put the new owners and any others off investing in the area!
Let’s just go there and enjoy...if it’s crap then you can moan all you like but until then stop raining on our parade.
I agree!
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:
Steveofsyd wrote:My God!!! I despair with this forum.
We wait bloody years to get the pub up and running and before it opens people are already picking holes before EVEN GOING THERE!!!!!!!!
It’s enough to put the new owners and any others off investing in the area!
Let’s just go there and enjoy...if it’s crap then you can moan all you like but until then stop raining on our parade.
"our parade"? Who made it your parade? It's something we've all waited patiently for and of course want it to flourish and be somewhere to go and enjoy.

The greyhounds are not "great"; the menu isn't "great" - if some think they are, then yes I'll amicably agree if we are to express approval for the emperor's new clothes. Meanwhile, they are what they are. The greyhounds are a minor detail, but do form the entrance so deserve a bit of TLC given they're the pub's symbol. How can you argue with that?
I think the point is, lets experience the "whole effect" before people start picking holes in the detail!!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Plus any Sydenham business needs only to attract a very small proportion of resident & visitors to this forum regularly to have a successful business model. And that's surely what we want - a successful business. A bonus if it is to our taste, and accepting that other tastes are just as ok too.

However - hope to see many of you 4pm Friday to check it out. And with maestro out of contention I may get the first pint this time ...

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Exactly Pally.

I'm not sure why you would want to paint the Greyhounds to make them look 'lifelike'. They are Greyhound statues, replicas of what was there before. They are cast, similar to the statues in Crystal Palace Park and match the render at the bottom of the Greyhound building. I think they look great as they are. Good on them!

I may pop along on Friday.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I can very easily argue against the greyhounds being painted to be lifelike, mosy. It is not historically correct for this sort of statuary. You might like the idea of them being painted, but that doesn’t make it an irrefutable position.
Maria

Post by Maria »

I agree that it all looks wonderful, and can't wait to support it. The other day a kind builder let me have a quick look inside (again!) and the look of those tiles...blindingly beautiful are the words I'd use. if the food is not that good (which i doubt given the draft menu) I shall eat peanuts with my red wine. Sorted.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

So it opens at 4pm on Friday, right? Do we know if the kitchen will be open i.e. could we count on eating there Friday early evening?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

probably, yes, but from the exposure it's had, I suspect it'll be rammed in there on opening night.
and there may well be first day, unforseen, teething, issues.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

monkeyarms wrote:So it opens at 4pm on Friday, right? Do we know if the kitchen will be open i.e. could we count on eating there Friday early evening?
Why not email them to ask? info@thegreyhoundsydenham.co.uk

Or Tweet them? @TheGreyhoundSyd

Or contact them via Facebook? http://www.facebook.com/TheGreyhoundSydenham
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Rachael wrote:I can very easily argue against the greyhounds being painted to be lifelike, mosy. It is not historically correct for this sort of statuary. You might like the idea of them being painted, but that doesn’t make it an irrefutable position.

recent research suggest statues from antiquity where painted in life like colours;

http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Ancient-G ... nt-colours
mosy

Post by mosy »

stone-penge wrote:...[clip]...
recent research suggest statues from antiquity where painted in life like colours; ...
Yes indeed, although I take the earlier point that we're more used to the faded bare versions. I don't have a particularly strong view on colouring them as my gripe is primarily that they are unimposing as they are, more like skinned rabbits that look Polyfilla white to me rather than stone, but maybe they'll weather in. Anyway, the countdown to opening starts soon...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

stone-penge wrote:
Rachael wrote:I can very easily argue against the greyhounds being painted to be lifelike, mosy. It is not historically correct for this sort of statuary. You might like the idea of them being painted, but that doesn’t make it an irrefutable position.

recent research suggest statues from antiquity where painted in life like colours;

http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/Ancient-G ... nt-colours
Not even that recent. We’ve known that for a long time. But it wasn’t known when classical architecture and styles of decoration were copied extensively in the 18th and 19th centuries. Which is why the Trafalgar Square lions are not painted, nor is the architrave of the National Gallery. I’m assuming we want the greyhounds to reflect the style of the original Greyhound building and not an ancient Greek kapeleia.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

anyone else definitely going tomorrow night?
I'm planning on being there, but there's only a handful of people on here that I've actually met IRL.
should we have an identification system in place so we know that we're from STF?

(I think it's four people - Leenewham, Stuart, Maria and MikeJ)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Some statues/sculptures were treated like a 3d painting (especially if religious), some were left in the base material as a study in form.

I think the Greyhounds look better simple and unpainted.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Rachael wrote: ...and not an ancient Greek kapeleia.
What's that, then?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I’ll be there with proverbial bells on. Unfortunately have family and a little ‘un coming over in the evening and as suspect will be happily rammed we are going for a few hours straight after work. Hoping to be there not long after 5! :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Robin Orton wrote:
Rachael wrote: ...and not an ancient Greek kapeleia.
What's that, then?
Like a taverna, but primarily serving alcohol rather than food.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Um, so ya’ll know it was open tonight, yes? Was it invitiation only? Photos on the Sydenham High Street Happenings Facebook page.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

yes saw this! looked great inside driving past about 6.30pm!

Probably a friends, family and those involved thing....often happens before a public opening , to celebrate the hard work gone in and also to test run the place.

look forward to a few drinks in there in the future, a great addition to the area!
sydenhamgardener2

Post by sydenhamgardener2 »

Just walked past this morning. It's looking really good. Can't wait to give it a go. Only been 8 years!