RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by mosy »

It looks like the digging-up works outside might be for the conservatory.

I'm expecting some sort of pub will be open by Christmas, even if only half finished as much as is necessary. I'm digging my optimistic heels in.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

:D
Frankly it would be nice to have both. Planners really missed a trick to sell the square and top end of the high street as an eating and drinking venue. That would have brought in so many visitors from other areas that would have benefitted all our little independents like the book shop.
Such a lack of imagination or forward planning
If we get the Greyhound, Nando’s, maybe a Cafe Rouge type of thing instead of KFH, or Pizza Express, it might be the start of the Sydders renaissance. We need variety in spades!
We want people and families to spend hours in Sydenham, browsing as people do in Crystal Palace or Lordship Lane. It will help the pop ups and little gems which can’t survive without constant footfall
“If you build it they will come”
If you leave vacant they will stay away and we will wither and die.
And we might get a stronger traders group and have decent Christmas decorations which is something we ALL agree on.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Morning everyone
A second site visit to The Greyhound yesterday shows work going on apace but various hitches have occurred - the utilities took longer to install and damp was found in the basement which needed urgent rectification and this has now been completed.

A manager has been appointed and the recruitment of other staff is beginning. There is still some way to go so a Christmas opening looks unlikely. The new owners are doing a great job properly preparing the pub ready for us all. Good things are worth waiting for...

We will post an update on the Sydenham Society website in a couple of weeks.
Ben (on behalf of Sydenham Society)
Pally

Post by Pally »

Beninahurry wrote:Morning everyone
A second site visit to The Greyhound yesterday shows work going on apace but various hitches have occurred - the utilities took longer to install and damp was found in the basement which needed urgent rectification and this has now been completed.

A manager has been appointed and the recruitment of other staff is beginning. There is still some way to go so a Christmas opening looks unlikely. The new owners are doing a great job properly preparing the pub ready for us all. Good things are worth waiting for...

We will post an update on the Sydenham Society website in a couple of weeks.
Ben (on behalf of Sydenham Society)
Thanks Ben Great!
SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

From the look of things the kitchen is now fully installed (upstairs left if you look at it from outside Kirkdale Books. The RSJs have gone in for The Sainsbury Wing (aka the extension by their entrance!) and according to the workmen it is going to be a conservatory. According to the guy in Blue Mountain it is going to be a storeroom. I expect both are wrong and it will turn out to be an aquarium!
mosy

Post by mosy »

SIMONTREWIN wrote:From the look of things the kitchen is now fully installed (upstairs left if you look at it from outside Kirkdale Books. The RSJs have gone in for The Sainsbury Wing (aka the extension by their entrance!) and according to the workmen it is going to be a conservatory. According to the guy in Blue Mountain it is going to be a storeroom. I expect both are wrong and it will turn out to be an aquarium!
[my bold]

A fish tank or a drunk tank? ;)
Well, hey, if we all catch up on 10 years' drinking waiting time once it opens ... :mrgreen:
Mezzy Chrrrissthmush everyone :D
Seriously though, if the kitchen has an operational hob or microwave, they could serve mulled wine on a forecourt table - I'm sure it'd be what they'd do in barn-raising communities to show support and celebrate The Greyhound "getting there". Maybe Sainsbury would donate foodie bites, especially if they were paid for them lol.

Just a thought.

A wish for a Happy or Merry Christmas to everyone :)
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

SIMONTREWIN wrote: The RSJs have gone in for The Sainsbury Wing (aka the extension by their entrance!) and according to the workmen it is going to be a conservatory. According to the guy in Blue Mountain it is going to be a storeroom. I expect both are wrong and it will turn out to be an aquarium!
If I recall the planning permission correctly, it's a conservatory but an aquarium sounds way cooler!

I ran pubs for many years back in the day, looking at the fit out, I'd say they are about 6 weeks away. "Usually" pubs that serve food do a "pre-opener" where they invite some local businesses (and hopefully residents) as well as their friends to do a test run of the kitchen operation... I'll be sure to mention I live across the road lol.

So, though I have met some of the sydenham forum people when our last admin wanted to step down, I do think we should all get together for their opening night and meet up for a pint or two, get to know each other and at the same time, show our support for the venue that everyone here has so desperately worked towards. When their opening date is announced, I will perhaps make a thread to see who is up for it and see where it goes from there. The last meet up was Beer Rebellion... my first time drinking craft beers... as someone that drinks a lot of wine, that craft beer almost knocked me over on my ass lol. I believe that was October 2015 ish?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Parker1970 wrote:The last meet up was Beer Rebellion... my first time drinking craft beers... as someone that drinks a lot of wine, that craft beer almost knocked me over on my ass lol. I believe that was October 2015 ish?
Yes, I almost remember that. I shall be raising a glass for The Greyhound tomorrow. Not quite there but tantilisingly closer.

You are welcome to stress test the kitchens. I think the bar rather more important and am prepared to sacrifice myself for that - for free. An offer they can't refuse?

Stuart - whose birthday is just over six weeks away ;-)
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

I see the bar's gone in, with workers working on it on Christmas Eve. Very weird timing to all of this, but the bar's inclusion has to be a positive sign.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Struck me tonight we may be celebrating 2019 within those hallowed walls (and Lee's mosaic).
Meanwhile best for 2018.

Stuart
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

A slightly late Happy New Year, everyone

"Hopefully not 2019" , Stuart.

Like all of you I was looking forward to the New Year celebratory drinks in The Greyhound but...

We have all been spectators to what is happening - slowly, but surely, all is going in the right direction, but not as quickly as we might have hoped - even expeccted.

By pure chance, I bumped into the owner at lunchtime and the latest news is that work begins on the Fire Escape on 10 February. Obviously, nothing will happen regarding the opening before that is inspected and an OK given re H&S.

A manager has been appointed and several of us have been invited to meet him next week. If there is anything of major importance to report we will let you know.

For anyone who studied Latin the expression is Festina Lente - 'hasten slowly'. For others it is 'we are getting there, but patience is a virtue'.

I still expect to meet you down the pub in the first part of 2018, but it may be a little later than we had hoped for....
conti16

Post by conti16 »

Well as you said a well worth wait !
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Is there a tentative date yet? How can a business not have a target date for opening? I presume they must have a business plan which acccounts for such things as costs over time in a vacant site as well as contracts with suppliers and opening in the right trading period to maximise income in the first few weeks, etc.
It would be nice to have some news as well as a few photos of progress to wet the appetite.
prince

Post by prince »

Steveofsyd wrote:Is there a tentative date yet? How can a business not have a target date for opening? I presume they must have a business plan which acccounts for such things as costs over time in a vacant site as well as contracts with suppliers and opening in the right trading period to maximise income in the first few weeks, etc.
It would be nice to have some news as well as a few photos of progress to wet the appetite.

All good things come to those who wait...

I think everyone's keen to see this finally open and I believe we are tantalising close. A few clues being that the front of the building is now quite clear of builders materials and they have now obscured the glass so people can't see in as they get on with the finishing touches. Therefore the internal fitout looks almost done.

The biggest outstanding thing is obviously the fitting of the new windows in the extension, which anyone who watches grand designs knows is always the biggest headache. So I would hazard a guess that once the windows are in, it will be soon after that.

I would obviously keep your eyes peeled on their twitter account and they also have a mailing list.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

They have their beer/ale list up on a chalkboard outside at the moment. I didn't have a chance to get a good read of it, but there is a list for the main bar and a list for the "festival bar". £4 per pint which seems reasonable considering we are not talking "Fosters, Carling" etc :)
parker

Post by parker »

The bar is in, with all the draught pumps fitted, and new painted signage has gone up above the extension. Looks wonderful already. Shouldn’t be very long at all now, I’d give it 3-4 weeks absolute max.
PEHDTSCKJMBA

Post by PEHDTSCKJMBA »

Parker1970 wrote:They have their beer/ale list up on a chalkboard outside at the moment. I didn't have a chance to get a good read of it, but there is a list for the main bar and a list for the "festival bar". £4 per pint which seems reasonable considering we are not talking "Fosters, Carling" etc :)
I'm 99% sure that this is either an old chalk board they're throwing out, or and old chalk board that they're going to clean down and install in the pub. The drinks listed are (I think) all ciders too. Let's not get our hopes up for £4 pints, from what the developers have said it won't be that type of pub.
parker

Post by parker »

PEHDTSCKJMBA wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:They have their beer/ale list up on a chalkboard outside at the moment. I didn't have a chance to get a good read of it, but there is a list for the main bar and a list for the "festival bar". £4 per pint which seems reasonable considering we are not talking "Fosters, Carling" etc :)
I'm 99% sure that this is either an old chalk board they're throwing out, or and old chalk board that they're going to clean down and install in the pub. The drinks listed are (I think) all ciders too. Let's not get our hopes up for £4 pints, from what the developers have said it won't be that type of pub.
Who’d have thought when the Greyhound was last open that all these years later we would be saying £4 for a pint was too cheap to be true.

The chalk board might be a stunt to get the ever-anticipated Sydenhamites talking.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

PEHDTSCKJMBA wrote:
I saw this briefly too driving past.

I'll be surprised if its an old chalk board as £4 pints in 2007 (when it was last open) seems well overpriced for the time...
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The painted sign is looking great. So is the new addition to the building. It's a real victory for all those who helped save the pub and a great looking welcome to Sydenham.