RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by leenewham »

Blimey, be patient. It takes time to fit out a building, especially a pub like this.

Eagle, stop trolling, unless you really like sitting outside Sainsbury's and a boarded up shop while eating a Nando's next to someone asking if you want Talk Talk internet.
Pally

Post by Pally »

No I don't think we need a new heading. The present one just emphasises the tenacity and resilience of getting it back for those who worked at this ....and pulling it down at this stage is a daft suggestion, but I think you know that!!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Wonder what odds I would have gotten in one of our numerous local bookies that the pub still would not be open in July 2017.
Should have enquiried a few years ago.
Now you wouldn't get an "odds on" bet that anything of significance would open in Sadenham
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Steveofsyd wrote:Wonder what odds I would have gotten in one of our numerous local bookies that the pub still would not be open in July 2017.
Now you wouldn't get an "odds on" bet that anything of significance would open in Sadenham
Let's be realistic: the odds were stacked against the Greyhound ever being rebuilt, let alone reopened, when it looked like this back in 2014:

Now it looks like this:

...and has a new owner who has a very good track record in running pubs and is working on plans for fitting out the pub.

On that basis I'd say the prospects of it reopening are a great deal better than they were. Of course, I'd like it to be open by now, but we have come a long way and we are a great deal nearer to having a reopened pub than we were. I remain confident that the pub will reopen soon.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Steveofsyd wrote:Wonder what odds I would have gotten in one of our numerous local bookies that the pub still would not be open in July 2017.
I tried to place a bet on this at Ladbrokes a couple of years or so ago. They wouldn't take my money.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

I have seen an email from the new owner who said he is finalising internal fit out plans with the council and it is a bit slower than anticipated. Let's just be patient and look forward to it being completed and opened soon. Let's not spend the time whilst we wait being impatient and ungrateful to the many people who have helped bring about the return of our historic pub. I can't wait for the next chapter in the regeneration of that area. Cheers!
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Ideally a glass fully full!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I believe that Lewisham has, at least in part, outsourced it's planning department. I have some friends who have been trying to get an extension done on their house for a year and a half and have found the process to be an absolute joke. I know some shops that have had issues with planning too.

I hope that the fit out will be supported locally, no roadblocks put in the way as has been done with other businesses and that they get to open with the minimum of fuss and meddling. It's great that it is finally happening, the glass is definitely filling to the brim. It will be a local asset.
Sydenhamman

Post by Sydenhamman »

I have contacted the new owner to request that they do a little tidy up the site, which is looking a bit of a mess at the moment, until such time as they get on site.
Beninahurry

Post by Beninahurry »

Afternoon. Greyhound update!

The owner has told Sydenham Society that his application for the fit-out of the pub has now been accepted by Lewisham Council. He hopes to be on site in early to mid September starting work on the refurbishment. With any luck, by Christmas, this splendid new venture should be up and running and our campaign will reach the happy conclusion. We will be posting more news on the Sydenham Society website soon along with other topic updates. Cheers :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

Thanks for update. Good news
prince

Post by prince »

Good to see the new owner of the Greyhound has taken some positive action and has had a good clear up of the site, including securing fencing and removal of weeds and litter. Much appreciated and great to see he has responded to resident's requests.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I noticed the tidy surroundings today too. What a positive difference it makes when it is weed-free and the fences upright. :)
prince

Post by prince »

owlwise wrote:I noticed the tidy surroundings today too. What a positive difference it makes when it is weed-free and the fences upright. :)

Hi owlwise,

Yes it makes a real difference. I have been in direct contact with the new owner who has been very helpful and said he would sort it out, which he has, which is great.

I know members of this Forum are criticised for being negative and not doing anything, but actually a lot of us are trying to do our bit!

Best
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks prince. I've been worried that the more dilapidated it looked, the more the likelihood of its being vandalised.
prince

Post by prince »

mosy wrote:Thanks prince. I've been worried that the more dilapidated it looked, the more the likelihood of its being vandalised.
That was my exact worry Mosy. At least we have a short term fix until work gets underway!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Prince,
Thanks for contacting the owner and arranging the tidy up.
:D
prince

Post by prince »

Good article about one of the pubs turned around by the new owner of the Greyhound.

http://m.kentlive.news/this-is-when-thi ... story.html
marymck

Post by marymck »

When I first saw that Garry Mallen had changed the name of one of his pubs from The Guinea Butt to the Guinea I thought it a shame to lose the meaningful part of a historic name. But I see it's not a historic name at all! Before it was named The Guinea Butt it used to be called The Bristol Arms ...

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project- ... Wells.html

They've a really nice (though at £7 for a Scotch egg, pricey) menu at The Guinea and I seem to recall Pimms and 2 for 1 cocktails (but that may have been under the old management). Here's hoping we're seeing the start of a revival in our town centre evening activity.
prince

Post by prince »

marymck wrote:When I first saw that Garry Mallen had changed the name of one of his pubs from The Guinea Butt to the Guinea I thought it a shame to lose the meaningful part of a historic name. But I see it's not a historic name at all! Before it was named The Guinea Butt it used to be called The Bristol Arms ...

http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project- ... Wells.html

They've a really nice (though at £7 for a Scotch egg, pricey) menu at The Guinea and I seem to recall Pimms and 2 for 1 cocktails (but that may have been under the old management). Here's hoping we're seeing the start of a revival in our town centre evening activity.
Well we will have to wait and see if there is a name change for The Greyhound!