Street salespeople

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Bunty

Street salespeople

Post by Bunty »

I am constantly being 'sold to' by the various salespeople who now use the pedestrian area at the end of Queensthorpe Rd. Assume it's legal as it's large corporates such as Sky and Talk Talk. But today I was pincered between two of them who were simply annoying. Do we really have to put up with them? Does anyone actually bother to stop and buy? Such a shame they blight our high street.
Pally

Re: Street salespeople

Post by Pally »

I agree! Always seems to be someone set up there
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Me too . The Sky salesmen left a stack of empty leaflet boxes - when my wife challenged them they mumbled something about having permission to leave them (?) they were quite surley and rude .
I am not sure how or why they get permission to colonise the little square - I would prefer virtually any busker to them .
A very good evening
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. A week ago (Saturday) I was stopped (as everyone was being) by one of two salesmen who I initially thought were drumming up custom for a vendor selling Vietnamese food in the Queensthorpe pocket square, which would be fair enough. However, I was annoyed to find myself being politely but rather relentlessly quizzed about my broadband supplier.

I did however manage to "break through" to the food stall and bought some food that turned out to be very good :) He said he'd found it annoying that his potential customers were in effect being scared away thus not pausing to see what was on offer.

The vendor said he was expecting to be there this Saturday (14th), so if he is, please don't be put off by any similar unwelcome "barrier".
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote:Me too . The Sky salesmen left a stack of empty leaflet boxes - when my wife challenged them they mumbled something about having permission to leave them (?) they were quite surley and rude .
I am not sure how or why they get permission to colonise the little square - I would prefer virtually any busker to them .
A very good evening
Nigel
One Saturday last year, thinking about researching this post, I saw them there, looking a bit lonely, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask how much it cost them to have a stall there, having politely explained first that there was no way I was going to take out a subscription to Sky. They weren't sure, but thought about £50.

I suppose from Sky's point of view, there's a value to just being there as static advertising, without needing to sign up anyone. If they do sign up anyone, I wonder how much that makes them? Just did a quick google to get £34 as average operating profits per customer, across Europe.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

The Talk Talk salesman who tried to get me to stop and talk was less than impressed when I told him I'd never even consider them due to their dire customer service reputation. He did little to help this by shouting his response at me in a confrontational manner.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

i would have thought this space was ideal for the flower stall rather than just opposite where it blocks the frontage to the shops behind it.
syd parker

Post by syd parker »

Yes, it's a shame that the pocket squares are being used by these salespeople - between them and Jehovah's witnesses, Sydenham High Street is a gauntlet run of annoyance some days!

Do Lewisham Council operate a scheme whereby local independent traders can have the space at a discount? That might encourage more of the use originally intended/ sold to us.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I doubt if mates rates for locals would work. Local traders should have some advantage anyway, just from knowing the area and customers, and you'd not want to deter the many good traders from elsewhere who might want to try a stall here.

I suspect Angie's flower stall is just where she wants it - getting in the way a bit is probably good for her :)
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

talk talk man: Sir, can ask you one question?
STF member: Yes, and I thank you for your question. A very good evening.

sky sky man: Sir, do you have the internet at home?
STF member: What, all of it? Don't be preposterous.