East Dulwich Grove / Townley Rd Consultation

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
_HB

East Dulwich Grove / Townley Rd Consultation

Post by _HB »

Southwark are consulting on proposals to improve a junction that some of you may be familiar with. If they go ahead, the plans will be a massive improvement on what is a dreadful, ugly, dangerous junction at present. Please show your support here:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200308 ... nley_road
SepticSkeptic

Re: East Dulwich Grove / Townley Rd Consultation

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Good news.
This is an awful junction for cyclists.
Even more than usual you have to assume that every driver is actively trying to hit you.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Why is this junction so bad for cyclists? Perhaps you could explain please? Is the problem that cyclists emerging from Greendale and heading straight on (into Townley) have to avoid being killed by cars ignoring them and turning right across them?
I've noted this thread on the E Dulwich Forum and they (Southwark) seem to be proposing that it be made a no right turn from Townley into E Dulwich Grove, which most posters on the EDF seem to be against.
_HB

Post by _HB »

As a cyclist it is uncomfortable because of the wide lanes and sweeping corners. Motor traffic is able to move through very quickly and can make unpredictable turns. It's very difficult to ride through the junction in a way allows me to control what is going on around me. Given that it is a junction that allows access to a National Cycle Route connection down to Camberwell this is unacceptable. The new layout is not perfect but certainly better.

My bigger concern is for pedestrians. Vehicle speeds are too high. Pollution and noise is too high. Motor traffic is completely prioritised to the almost complete exclusion of all else. Again, right outside a school and in a residential area this is madness.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Thank you HB, that is clear to me now. Do you think the ban on the right turn from Townley into EDG is the right idea? That's what seems to be exercising many people on the EDF.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Yes I think so. It would be very difficult to give the simultaneous green sufficient time for pedestrians whilst maintaining the right turn and not ending up with queues and pressure on pedestrians clearing the junction. So quite a brave and sensible decision IMO.

No reason why traffic wanting to turn right onto EDG can't go South to Lordship Lane and then take the left towards Goose Green. That whole area is plagued with rat running so a few more closures wouldn't go a miss.

Unfortunately a likely reaction is that selfish people will go straight over into Greendale and do a U-Turn which just shifts the danger a little bit further down the road. LBS will need to be strong and vigilant with enforcement in the first month or so of the scheme.