*NEWS* Greyhound/Conservation Area

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

goonerchamp wrote:I've just walked past the GH and could hear the sound of "work" going on behind the hoarding across from the wedding wear store - could it be someone is working on the building illegally ? :twisted:
Just because the building is within a conservation area, does'nt mean that a) it cannot be demolished and b) work cannot be carried out to it!

On the former issue, any building within a conservation area which is proposed to be demolished will need to have conservation area consent. I.e. it has to go through an application and then it will be decided by the council, or ultimately the Secretary of State if it is appealed. As an architect i have seen inferior buildings demolished within conservation areas, through the proper channels, to make way for development. In the case of the Greyhound, the arguements are not about personal issues such as 'i like the building', but what does it bring to the community and the streetscape as a whole. If the Greyhound is to be saved as an entity (albeit maybe the wasteful carpark developed in some way), then people need to start getting serious about the real issues.

On the latter note of work being carried out to the building 'illegally; people have to bear in mind that this building, like it or not, is owned by someone, not you or the council. The conservation area is a protection shroud over an area incorporating buildings. If the building was listed, it is a different matter, but i understand it is not? The owners are entitled to carry out work, to do with maintenance etc, which would not require conservation area consent.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Actually, Nork1, I don't think you can beat good old fashioned london pubs either - its just the don't-know-what-they-want-to-be pubs (i.e. what was The Greyhound). I do think the Havester model is a bit passe these days. But I love the Dartmouth and the Dolphin but I also like the one that's opposite the Dolphin - I forget what its called now? - that's a decent old fashioned boozer and it's proud to be what it is - and they do a great London Pride in there .. and a v tasty but cheap sunday lunch. They can exist side by side. It's just it still feels very 'one sided' down the High Street. But we've talked about that before.
Maybe they should open a 'post modern ironic' gastro pub called 'The Pound Shop'. That would confuse us all.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

The pub opposite is called The Golden Lion. A good old boozer as you say but I must point out that although the Sunday Lunch is cheap, we were very dissapointed last time we ate one there. Dry, overcooked chicken and 'boiled to a pulp' vegetables.

St Patrick's night is a fab night there with live music and a great atmosphere.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

I wouldn't want to take the Railway away from its regulars at all. I've never heard anything negative about it and think it's great if someone feels at home enough to wear carpet slippers (although that information did make me laugh out loud). It's just a shame it's a bit run down. I used to go to the Blythe Hill Tavern on Stanstead Road occasionally years ago (when I lived nearby) and it was a more traditional pub and I really liked it for a mid-week drink.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I'm with Poppy here, some pubs should be left as pubs. The Railway reminds me why I live in Sydenham.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Both pubs can exist side by sidee, who does everyone think that by having one gastro pub all the other pubs will dissappear?

There is room for everyone.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

I agree. I was just picking up on an earlier comment "The Railway would be a perfect cosy cool bar if it was upgraded.".

Change just for the sake of it doesn't necessarily make a place better. Remember, the Greyhound was totally gutted/'upgraded' by the Firkin chain when there was no reason to (a bit of a tidy up maybe but to rip the insides out?).

The Railway's a genuine pub, it's got atmosphere, leave it alone.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

nork1 wrote:The Railway's a genuine pub, it's got atmosphere, leave it alone.
Like beating up a deaf guy who mistakenly sat in the wrong chair? Then, despite pleas by witnesses was thrown out for 'causing trouble'.

I don't know if this was an isolated incident but I won't be visiting again to find out. Civilised behaviour is rather more important to me than the food, beer or even price.

PP
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

It was an isolated incident.

A couple of months back a drunk bloke was thrown out of the Dolphin then came back and put a window through.

I don't know if this was an isolated incident but I won't be visiting again to find out. Civilised behaviour is rather more important to me than the food, beer or even price.

N1
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Now it's up for auction!

25th October by Andrews Robertson. A sign went up this morning.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

I just saw that sign myself. Do you think potential bidders are given background info, such as the conservation area status? The people who bid on houses on that awful programme in the morning on BBC1 don't seem to have a clue what they are buying. Some haven't even been inside the properties. I just wondered if someone wishing to buy a large site like this would do research first? I would hope so!
user100

Post by user100 »

What's up for auction - the Greyhound or the Railway?
simono

Post by simono »

Definitely the Greyhound. Went on the auction site though and I can't see it listed. I shall have a look next week.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Greyhound ** IS NOT FOR AUCTION **

This is a boo-boo. The auctioneers Andrews & Robinson are auctioning a maisonette in Kirkdale. But they got the number wrong. So the auction signs went up on the Greyhound by mistake.

So you can all put your dosh back in your pockets for the time being.

Admin
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Pity it was a demolition company :lol: :lol:
poppy

The Greyhound

Post by poppy »

Any news on this yet?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I see that the grafitti is coming along now, as predicted.

By this time next year it should be nicely covered, and providing a perfect welcome for anyone visiting Sydenham.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

When you get art, you don't get as much grafitti, or it make grafitti invisible.

So...

Why cant we get the owners of the site to pay for some art to go on the bill boards, perhaps a mural should be painted on there.

How about a freeze of old postcard views of the greyhound from field to today with some handwriting saying from the back of a card blown up big with some nice message about Sydenham.

Falkor...falkor...calling falkor...

Perhaps something to do with Christmas as we are near?

I could call Banksy...actually I have a few urban art friends who might be interested.

Any other ideas?

Artmongers are really good at this sort of thing.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There are some good ideas there Lee, and you're quite right to say that the boards could benefit from some art but I really doubt your chances of getting any money for this from the owners.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ok, why don't some local businesses sponsor a panel so they get free advertising?

OR

We could paint the panels like a brick wall and have ads of local businesses painted like the old style ads they used to paint on the sides of buildings before we went mad with billboards.