*NEWS* Greyhound/Conservation Area

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

*NEWS* Greyhound/Conservation Area

Post by admin »

This is the news we were asked to hold back while the decision was legally confirmed ... but now it is in the open. A fuller article with details of the Conservation Area will follow shortly on the main website

At Wednesday night's meeting of the Mayor and Cabinet at the Town Hall the Mayor
took the decision to grant Conservation Area status to the area around Cobbs
Corner (inc the Greyhound).

Also agreed was the extension of the Sydenham Thorpes Conservation area
which covers most of the high street, both sides down to but excluding
Somerfield. It also includes the Post Office Delivery Office in Silverdale.

It was also agreed that the Greyhound and the Post Office Delivery Office
should be added to the Council's list of buildings of local architectural
and historic interest.

* IMPORTANT *
This gives certain safeguards but The Greyhound is unoccupied and hence may still be at risk. If you see anything around The Greyhound that concerns you then please post here. Postings are being monitored by people here 24/7 who can take the necessary action

Admin
Last edited by admin on 4 Oct 2007 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

There is a photocall tomorrow, Saturday, with the Mayor, Sir Steve Bullock, at 11 am at Cobbs Corner, and all are welcome to come along to show their solidarity with the Mayor ( please be there by 10.50).

Please also continue to sign the petition in Kirkdale Bookshop and other retail outlets in Sydenham Road. There are approximately 1500 signatures to the petition which demonstrates the local community's feelings about the possible demolition of this building.

The petition will form part of the objection the Sydenham Society will make to any application from the developer for Conservation Area consent to demolish the main building of the Greyhound.

Pat Trembath
Chair, Sydenham Society
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

While he is there point out the total mess that TFL and others made of replacing the roundabout!
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

It's fullly admitted by everyone that the roundabout is a disaster. The mayor himself made very unflattering comments about its construction when he visited the area soon after the new roundabout was put into position. I won't repeat his exact words!

It has already been endlessly pointed out that there is £2m scheme currently under consultation which will deal with the roundabout along with the rest of the core shopping area of the high street. If you wish to make comments about it attend the next Sydenham Road Regeneration meeting or contact the consultation team.

To get back to the topic of the Greyhound. I fully hope that the developer of the Greyhound site will now work with the people of this area and the council to produce a high-quality development and housing scheme which we can all be proud of and which makes the developer a significant profit and aids in the regeneration of Sydenham Road. I am confident that all sides can work together to provide this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

** THE GREYHOUND IS NOW LEGALLY PROTECTED AGAINST DEMOLITION **

This morning when driving past The Greyhound I thought I saw Phil Ashford (Lewisham Planning) lurking outside the pub. When I returned I saw notices pinned to the boarding. These state that it now lies within the conservation area and may not be demolished without permission of the council. It gives notice anyone attempting to do so would be guilty of a criminal offence.

Admin
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Fair play for managing to get The Greyhound declared as being within a conservation area.

I am keen to see what happens next. Does this mean we will have to look at those beautiful grey (so far without grafitti) hoardings for the next 12 months, whilst the matter is sorted out?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Don't be surprised if it mysteriously burns down.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have just posted a news item about The Greyhound here (which links to Chris Best's article & pix of yesterday) here: http://sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound.html

Admin
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

As the Greyhound cannot be knocked down (hurrah!) it wll mean that any plans to do so by the developers have been scuppered, yes? I presume that they are most unhappy by this and I worry what will happen next. What if they have no revised plan? What if they just do nothing and let it rot? Are they in their rights (they do own it don't they?) to leave the site as it is and do nothing 'till either an act of vandalism or the winter weather takes its toll and the building has to be demolished anyway? That would be a disaster.

Savvy
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Let us all - the local conmmunity and the developers - have a bit of time to digest what has happened; we all need time to take breath and think about where we go from here.

The developers need to feel the community wants to go forward and work positively with them. Let us, as a community, give them a bit of space to work out this important path for us all.

This website is not a tabloid paper - headline today, fish and chips wrapper tomorrow.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

i'm absolutely delighted that the Greyhound is now protected from demolition. I guess it's just a shame that this didn't happen before the pub was closed, given we now have an empty building surrounded by eyesore hoardings.

However, hopefully Milford will be able to go back to the drawing board and come up with some plans which are fitting for the site and protect this historical building.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Yes it is such a shame that the conservation order wasn't slapped on before. My worry is how long will it all take. Even if it they are committed to a speedy decision (and of course they'll say they ARE) it could take ages for them to come up with a plan, then it has to be approved etc etc... Is it possible they might just sell it on quickly to get if off their books?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I'd just like to mention that there are certain events coming up in our calender. We have Halloween and Guy Fawkes night within a month or so. Both of these are associated with misbehaving youth, fireworks,...etc, etc.

It wouldn't be so unusual for accidents/incidents to occur to the Greyhound site in this period. I would again urge people within the vicinity to remain vigilant and to note all suspicious activity, however trivial.

AliB
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

Yeah, it's amazing how easily unwanted buildings with conservation orders on them can catch fire.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nork - I am going to have to draw a line here. You are too close to suggesting the developers may be considering arson. I have googled Milford quite extensively. While their record may be controversial there is no evidence that they have acted illegally. Quite the opposite, they could be said to use the law too much to their advantage as indeed they are entitled.

Unoccupied buildings are always at risk and presumably Milford are now having to pay a hefty insurance premium. To fail in their duty of care to a listed building in a conservation area would be extremely unhelpful for them.

My belief is that the current situation is a mess in which all parties are losers. It is in everybody's interest to help Milford find a profitable and acceptable solution. Abusing them or anybody else is outside the spirit of this Forum. Libelling them would finish it.

Please don't do it!

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I hope readers understand my distaste for censorship. But I have made clear above that any suggestion another party here may commit a serious criminal act is forum abuse and asked people not to do it. Technically it is also defamatory.

But it is on the first point that I have removed two posts this morning. Sorry.

Admin
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi,

I only moved to Sydenham recently and never had the chance to try out the Greyhound. However, I was pretty shocked when those horrendous hoardings went up as the pub (patio at least) had always seemed very busy whenever I walked past. So, was the pub doing badly and not financially able to remain open?

Is there any hope that the pub could re-open or is it certain that it will all be developed into flats now? Would it be a viable option to lobby for this pub to remain (perhaps in a more gentrified 'gastropub' form) whilst the car-park and adjacent land is (sympathetically) built upon?

Gaz
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Gaz, please go back to the top of this page and the current situation about the Greyhound may become clearer.

There are also 8 pages of comments about the premature closure of the pub further down the Town Hall thread which might give you some background as to where, and why, we we are where we are. Admin also carried news on Sydenham Town's Home Page about the Lewisham Council decision to create a new Conservation Area around Cobbs Corner taken at the Town Hall on 7 September

With all due respect I doubt many people will want to rehearse what has happened over the past few months.

Everyone, developers, council and local residents are at present drawing breath and wondering where we go from here. Rest assured I think I can safely say that many local residents would like to see the Greyhound re-opened as a community focal point - be it a pub or a restaurant.
simono

Post by simono »

Whilst the order is in place and will be a delaying factor we must remember that any planning decision is finally decided on by the Secretary of State. However we have the opportunity to draw breath. Hopefully we can get a good development which will incorporate the best bits of the existing building, though without wishing to repeat myself a lot of it is frankly not worth preserving.
I would also say that if there is to be a community facility (pub/restuarant) we need to think about the community actually around the building. Doing so for more than 10 years I can say that the pub has not been well run throughout that time and has caused constant noise and disruption altthough it has been worse with the most recent sets of management. So anything that opens (if indeed such a facility is merited) needs to be well thought out and needs to bare in mind the impact on the nearest people to the building, who are now enjoying some peace and quiet!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are there any good pubs we can approach like the owners of the dartmouth arms in forest hill (who dramatically transformed the dolphin) to see if they might be interested, then the sydenham society could offer their full backing to them and let them know results of surveys and what people really want in the area.

Just a thought.

I'd love another great pub at the top of the hill.