Sydenham road traffic east of Kent House Road is terrible

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Sydenham road traffic east of Kent House Road is terrible

Post by mikej »

What has changed recently?
I'm not sure if it's the whole street, but certainly the stretch near the library seems to be solid all day long. And it's not as if it's moving much either.
I wondered if some creature had fiddled with the lights at the Kent House Road junction, because as I walked in that direction I noted that they were not green for very long, perhaps allowing 6 vehicles through?
That is a big change and I wonder why. Does anybody know what is going on?
Last edited by mikej on 13 Dec 2014 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
JRobinson

Re: Sydenham road traffic seems permanently at a standstill!

Post by JRobinson »

I noticed this on Tuesday morning. A bus from lower Syd up to the station was due in 8 minutes, but the traffic was virtually stationery, so I walked there instead. At that junction the traffic lights were only letting a few vehicles through at one time.
This is definitely to do with the streetworks, carriageway and footway reconstruction happening there at this time.

not sure why it's been change like this though unless it's a H&S thing for the highways workers.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It has been for years and will continue to be so unless some are charged out of their cars they do not need in Sydenham.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Ban through traffic (apart from buses) from Kent House Rd to The Greyhound. Problem solved.
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

Spotted:
one person in a car, behind lots of other cars with one person in.

Where:
Everywhere in London.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB

I do not believe it. We are in agreement . Wow.

How much nicer Sydenham Road would be.
mikej

Post by mikej »

No, no no, this is NEW! This part of Lower Sydenham has not been like this recently - at least the last 3+ years that I've been volunteering in the library. I know it's always bad higher up the street, but - read my lips - THIS IS NEW. Geddit?
simon

Post by simon »

Yes it is NEW! and it is down to the phasing, or lack of it, on the temporary lights at the Kent House Road junction. I first noticed a build up of traffic coming from Bell Green past the library on Sunday when going in the opposite direction. I then drove to Sainsbury's on Monday night and found it took me about ten minutes to get from Bell Green to Kent House Road in a traffic jam at 7.30 in the evening. I have also noticed that traffic west of Kent House Road on Sydenham Road is comparatively light in the mornings when I walk to the station when usually it is nose to tail in the rush hour.
So, the lack of phasing at the Kent House Road junction means the westbound jam that is usually at the Mayo Road junction has moved back to east of Kent House Road. Also, there is more of a jam eastbound, which has seen traffic backed up to the Mayo Road junction.
This is good news for people joining Sydenham Road between Kent House Road and the Kirkdale roundabout and travelling West as there is less traffic. It is bad news for those travelling east, except those turning right into Trewsbury Road who don't have to wait so long for a break in the traffic. It is neutral for those travelling west through Sydenham because the traffic jam they used to sit in towards the Mayo Road lights and all the way the up to Kirkdale has simply been moved east.
I suppose this all only temporary while they carry out works at the Kent House Road junction.