Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
P1971

Re: Favourite Sydenham Businesses of 2014, 2015, ...

Post by P1971 »

Hi Pally

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very much appreciated by me.

Not many traders reply or respond to local forums for various reasons mainly anyone answering takes the blunt for all on whatever the post is about.

On that note thank you and I will give my views in a constructive way.

Best wishes

Pauline
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Base on where I spend most money I love
Mastercutters
American Nails
Superdrug
PFC
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think traders are especially welcome - when traders have posted , thinking of Amo Billing for instance , people have found it really useful .
Although we have a tendency to bicker among ourselves I do think we need to be a tad more respectful to the traders in Sydenham . They are the ones risking their money and we must avoid making them feel cross examined .
I think it is right that posters are frank about what they like as dont like but if we get more of Sydenham's traders - and I really hope we do - we must show first and foremost , support and encouragement .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

Nigel wrote:I think traders are especially welcome - when traders have posted , thinking of Amo Billing for instance , people have found it really useful .
Although we have a tendency to bicker among ourselves I do think we need to be a tad more respectful to the traders in Sydenham . They are the ones risking their money and we must avoid making them feel cross examined .
I think it is right that posters are frank about what they like as dont like but if we get more of Sydenham's traders - and I really hope we do - we must show first and foremost , support and encouragement .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
I agree, within the context of comments being supportive as well as constructive if raising perceived issues.
Joanne

Post by Joanne »

I know Lee likes me to try knew things:

Today finally got around to visiting Brown & Green in Mayow Park for brunch. Highly recommend

I prefer the interior of their CP cafe but Mayow is more spacious with great views across the park.

Both cafes are dog friendly too so now a local favourite for us.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

People will get the wrong idea Joanne!

Green & Browns is great. Both interiors and signage were done by a signwriter we know and use a fair bit called Mark at Butler Dsigns. He's very good.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee I think you need what I believe is called a "safe word" . How about "SEE3 "
A very good evening
Nigel
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Here are my top 10 sydenham businesses (in no particular order and most frequently visited).

1. Kirkdale bookshop- Fantastic stock, ideal for presents and my kids love going there.

2. Kente cafe- George is such a lovely and generous man, nice coffee and chilled atmosphere.

3. Bar 161- Nice place to sit and chat, decent drinks and snacks.

4. Sugahill Cafe- Laid back atmosphere, nice to sit by the window and watch the world go by.

5- Harbour Fish and chips- Good quality and tasty fish and chips with a nice decor.

6- Ahambra- friendly shop, ideal for gifts.

7. Green and Browns- Nice indoor/outdoor space in the lovely Mayow park.

8. French Bakers- A great place to stroll to at the weekends.

9. The Greengrocers- Friendly with good quality produce.

10. The Butchers/fishmongers, Friendly and helpful staff, good quality produce.

Infact I like and make use of most of the Sydenham businesses. Also love the cake store, Whites pet shop, the pound/discount stores, Boots, Superdrugs, Blue Mountain, Health food shop, Co-op and Lidl's, On the Hoof, The dolphin, Tesco express, Hardware store, The party shop (but not a lot of stock), Most of the restaurants, Charity shops and The post office.

I think the High street has a friendly atmosphere and on the whole I enjoy shopping there.

It would be great if there were also other types of shops and restaurants to visit and if all of the shops were tidy and clean from the outside with decent signage.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

What about chefs delight . Yes I would admit it's not trendy as some of the new businesses that have opened in Sydenham . However it is consistently good and served the community for a long time . Many generations have passed through their doors !
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Good to hear it for the less trendy!

I was thinking this weekend of giving a mention to Centre News, on Kirkdale, just beyond the bookshop

who have been reliably delivering my weekend papers for some years now.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just to ensure we cannot be called racist perhaps should nominate Zanzibar to the list.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rod taylor wrote:
Bunny wrote:What about chefs delight . Yes I would admit it's not trendy as some of the new businesses that have opened in Sydenham . However it is consistently good and served the community for a long time . Many generations have passed through their doors !
Because it didn't open in 2014, which was the point of the OP.

Chef's Delight, is, I would agree, a delight.
Not the entire point - it was triggered by the poll for best newcomer in Brockley, but I also envisaged categories for most improved and best overall.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh come on .....Eagle was clearly making a joke ....a lot of other people do linked to previous posts/threads and they don't get called a troll. Whether it is funny or not is really the point. In some can, why can't he?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rod taylor wrote:
Pally wrote:Oh come on .....Eagle was clearly making a joke ....a lot of other people do linked to previous posts/threads and they don't get called a troll. Whether it is funny or not is really the point. In some can, why can't he?
How can you ever be sure Eagle is making a joke?

Or me?
Maybe never, but you can always take it as one.

Is it reasonable to ask Eagle baiting (and responding to such baiting, Eagle!) to be confined to some other thread, maybe in the Pub?
Pally

Post by Pally »

rod taylor wrote:
Pally wrote:Oh come on .....Eagle was clearly making a joke ....a lot of other people do linked to previous posts/threads and they don't get called a troll. Whether it is funny or not is really the point. In some can, why can't he?
How can you ever be sure Eagle is making a joke?

Or me?
!!!
missT

Post by missT »

Eagle wrote:Just to ensure we cannot be called racist perhaps should nominate Zanzibar to the list.

WOW!!!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Miss T

In hindsight probably a stupid comment and I apologise. It was meant to be a joke reacting to unfounded claims that some people who objected to your license had racist views . I certainly do not have racists views and took great exception to the implications. As did others.

I cannot imagine why objections to being kept up late at night would be remotely racists. As you say you cater for everybody.

However in one respect good to be nominated at Sydenham business of the year.

I trust things will run smoother from now on and I wish you the very best.

I paste below one of the mails from your organisation .

by MrT » 20 Jan 2015 18:09
Hi everyone

i think certain people who like to make stupid and exaggerated claims and accusations should man up and identify themselves and the road they live on

Eagle
Nigel
Gaddison
Biscuitman1978
Gillyjp
Mosy

If you cannot give your full name and the road you live on or work on in the area you should shut up
you make up things and try you best to paint a negative picture of the club then hide behind your alias purely because you do not like the idea that black people go to this club. We cater for Black, White, Asian, Chinese, American’s Germans we treat everyone the same FAIRLY.
My name is Terence Reid and I am the manager of the Maestro Arts and Entertainment Centre. I have no problem identifying who I am and standing by my record. My office is open every day for anyone to come in and highlight any disturbances they are suffering. When there is an event at the club I am there at the front of the venue available to address anything put to me. As for Gaddison you spoke to me on Sunday evening and I can tell you we had more support on your road from people who acknowledged the improvements to the club since we took over than whom claim there has been no improvements,

IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE CALL OR EMAIL THE CLUB AND WE WILL DEAL WITH IT
clubzanzibarsydenham@yahoo.co.uk or 0208-778-3201
MrT

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle - MissT and Mr T are not one and the same.

Probably good to have the context of your comment (when I thought was actually very funny) though, for those who haven't seen the other thread.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry Rachael

I assumed they could have been , but one must not assume.

I just thought ,although obviously a joke based on false allegations of racism by the club , best to clarify as I detest racism and wanted to ensure that it was clear the context the comment was made.

I was really shocked like others when the club made the suggestions of racism when the argument has always been about noisy neighbours and illegal parking. I do detest noisy neighbours.

Have a good evening
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As my husband is very fond of saying, when you assume, you make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'.