Why is Sydenham so musical?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
back_ache

Why is Sydenham so musical?

Post by back_ache »

As I sat oposite the singing teacher from the TV program "musicality" on the train this morning I wondered why Sydenham is so musical?

You often see people lugging cello cases over the stations footbridge or flicking though scores on the train, we even have the "chinese elvis" living not to far away!

I was wondering wether in the case of the classical it was the Sydenham orchestra? Though that may be an effect rather than the cause.

What is it that makes Sydenham so attractive to those of a musical bent?
stuart

Re: Why is Sydenham so musical?

Post by stuart »

back_ache wrote:What is it that makes Sydenham so attractive to those of a musical bent?
Well as you probably know Sydenham Music's "Orchestra of St Barthlomews" is mostly drawn from the four leading London Orchestras plus the Opera House Orchestra.

So why do they all live in the local area?

Well if you were a classical musician - having to haul a heavy instrument back from late night venues in central London - where would you live?

Out of town is probably not an option. Trains must be better than the tube if its a double bass. And most musicians are not highly paid but do have families and want somewhere to practice.

So where do you get most space for the least money in London well served by the railway?

Lewisham/Sydenham appears attractive on those criterion. And of course once there is a group of musicians - it attracts even more...

Or is it that any serious musician needs to sleep within an amplifier's throw of Bill Wyman's childhood home :wink: