Kirkdale High Street Update!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Re: Kirkdale High Street Update!

Post by JMLF »

Three bits of news of new openings (it would appear!):
Designbyben.co.uk has opened as part of Kirkdale offices (rented office space). He is offering 20% customers in his first month and designs/prints on a wide range of mediums

Maisie's five and dime has a lovely window display and appears very close to opening to provide a trio of shops next to each other offering vintage furniture and clothing. Maisie's will provide clothes, Jewellry, habadeshery stuff, linens and more.

The "le shakes" shop which was assumed to be a milkshake/smoothie place has had bike shop stuff and people working on bikes in the last few days although doesn't appear open to public at present - unclear if this will be the shops new usage or whether it is temporary.
FromCtoShiningC

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Thanks for the regular updates JMLF :-)
Regards the premises next to Le Shakes:- when that was built (10 years ago??) there was rumours of an Argentinian restaurant.... no such luck and it's remained closed off. Any rumours on whether that space will ever be occupied?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just an update to confirm the former "le shakes" is now a bicycle shops selling adult and kids bikes - I think both second hand and new - and has a workshop for fixings/tune-ups and plenty of tools/locks etc to purchase. A packed kitted out space by the looks of things!

Mabel's 5 and dime (which has been mentioned a few times - check previous for info) is opening in Saturday June 11th!

No info regarding the shop next to the new bike shop or any other potential ventures - in response to above I don't tend to look for/find out stuff I just post stuff when I see/walk past something happening!

Have a nice weekend,

Jonathan
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Where exactly is the former 'le shakes'? is it Cobbs Corner end or up towards Dartmouth Road?

Interested in a local bike shop and tune-up centre in the area - it will attract my custom.

(and as I type I'm thinking what a lazy thing to ask - I could just cycle the length of Kirkdale and see where it is for myself)
appletree

Post by appletree »

It's nearly at the corner of Dartmouth Road, across from the bus stop.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Yep, just before the corner that leads on to Dartmouth road and forest hill. Opposite the Japanese restaurant pretty much / past the closed down windmill pub
parker

Post by parker »

Where the Post Office/news agent used to be basically.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Thanks all for describing where this new bike shop is
Mulberry

Post by Mulberry »

I asked the cycle-shop proprietor, a Mr. Lindo, the name of his shop, because I wanted to put it in OpenStreetmap. He just hasn't gotten around to putting up his own sign yet, and now he's taken the "Le Shakes" one down, so the store front is blank. He plans to call it "Lindo's Two-wheels and More". He's selling wheeled conveyances (he has some skateboards) and parts/tools for them now, in summer, and will sell more non-cycle-related stuff in winter, as apparently you don't get as many cycle customers then :o.

So, here is a map showing the location of Lindo's Two-wheels and More. Most of the shops on Kirkdale are still not labelled on OpenStreetMap (it's a sort of Wikipedia map, copyleft and volunteer-made), so if anyone here is willing to help. follow the link and click on the little speech bubble icon on the right; it takes seconds to add a note.

IMHO, a cycle shop improves any street. In this weather, though, I really wish Kirkdale had a gelateria. Maybe Alhambra could do it as a summer sideline...

There were a couple of people viewing the closed bakery today. Here's hoping for a bakery as high-quality as it was.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just to add on - The Mermaid fish and chippy is under new management and have renovated/made changes to the shop displays and interior. Nice little signage welcoming custom from the new management and chef.

SDG Windows on the corner of Dartmouth road and kirkdale (next to Gabby's take away, kind of opposite fig and pistachio) has moved. Obviously it was not a regular community use type of shop but hopefully it wont remain closed for too long and be taken over by something or other.

Lastly, just wanted to say how lovely it was last week to see at least a couple of people in every single shop open on the high street on a midweek day aroun 5.30/6.00. Felt like a buzzing little community! From the smaller newer shops (like Lindo's 2 wheels) to mainstays like alahbra and the beauticians to recently Taken over places/newer places like 161, the Dulwich reclamation and the aforementioned fish and chip shop.
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

I saw this weekend that a new sign has gone up for "Waffle Station" in the old IBS bakery unit. Looks like it will be a nice addition to Kirkdale. Website also seems to be up and running but couldn't see any opening date. Good luck to the new proprietors in launching. Hope they can make a go of it.

Also saw a planning notice on the Windmill to basically knock down the unit and build new flats with a pub on the ground floor. Think this could actually improve the likelihood of a tenant for the unit and I doubt a new unit could look much worse than the current one!

Tim
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I agree, anything would be an improvement on the current eyesore
134_Cookery_Studio

Post by 134_Cookery_Studio »

Good post about Kitchen Skills on Kirkdale

https://www.gdst.net/article/showstoppe ... enham-high