Bus strike tomorrow

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Bus strike tomorrow

Post by Rachael »

So, what, we're just not going to talk about it, in the hopes that will make it not happen?

Can anyone remember from the last time there was a comprehensive bus strike whether the absence of buses outweighed the extra cars on the road? Am going to have to drive the kids to Streatham in the morning.
Eagle

Re: Bus strike tomorrow

Post by Eagle »

Seems 16% voted for the strike so maybe there will be a good service. Unless other 84% are picketed at the depot.

A great shame. Also as a number of different employers involved difficult to see what the strike will achieve.

I travel a lot by Bus and most drivers do a good job.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

27,000 drivers striking and only five bus garages not affected (Grays, Dartford, Sullivans, Epsom and Arriva Garston). I'd say the chances of disruption are fairly high.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachel

If correct I would agree with you, although one wonders why only 16% voted for strike.

I am sure most people will cope. However does ask the questions why not a 50% vote for a strike before legal. Believe the Government only suggesting 40% , not 50% , not sure why.

Not certain what the strike is about ? Does anybody know ? If about pay probably no chance as they tender for the routes and would not have allowed any extra money.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's about the fact that drivers get paid different rates by different bus companies, although all are contracted to TfL.

Can we keep this thread on the topic of practical solutions to travel disruption tomorrow?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

OK Rachel Thanks for explanations.

Not sure what solutions there are. I will travel by train not bus. Not suitable for everyone I know.

Good Luck to everyone.
stuart

Post by stuart »

We must remind ourselves of the good news - Sydenham has (even with the LBG debacle) five different rail routes from four different stations into central London. My better half will be switching to one of those which, while making in even more tight, is livable for a day. So going North or South is not too bad. South to East/West Croydon gets you to the Tramlink network which may be useful between Wimbledon and Beckenham.

The problem is people who need to go across town (East or West). The rail lines just don't do it unless you go into town and back out again except for the loops to Victoria via Crystal Palace, STREATHAM HILL (Rachael!) & Balham or from Surrey Quays to Denmark Hill (Kings) and beyond.

If you have a Brompton you won't be asking the question. Just find any train going vaguely in the right direction and cycle on from there. You can't do that with a non-folder in rush hour or if you have kids in tow. Not sure what to recommend there beyond walking or digging out the old bikes (check lights and blow up the tyres now). The weather is possible showers - it could be worse. So up to 2 miles walk, beyond that bike or wfh (work from home).

If you have a non-cancellable appointment (like hospital) I would reserve a minicab now.

Stuart

EDIT: Wouldn't it be nice if we re-booted the old hitch-hiking tradition? Stick out a thumb to give any kind passing motorist a chance to make your day by filling up an otherwise empty seat.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Streatham Hill is still a long walk from Streatham Common, which is where the school is. Plus the trains going towards Victoria have been less than reliable recently, getting delayed-delayed-delayed-cancelled on many mornings. It's technically possible but somewhat risky to send them by train and given that I work from home and would be otherwise twiddling my thumbs while they struggle with the vagaries of cross-town trains, it seems unfair of me not to drive, just this once.

OH is looking forward to relatively empty bus lanes for cycling up to the City tomorrow.
Last edited by Rachael on 12 Jan 2015 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by stuart »

No problem. Continue to Balham and catch a train south from there. Remember you can take the usually reliable Overground to CP as backup and pick up extra trains from Norwood Junction to Balham there.

Stuart
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

stuart wrote: EDIT: Wouldn't it be nice if we re-booted the old hitch-hiking tradition? Stick out a thumb to give any kind passing motorist a chance to make your day by filling up an otherwise empty seat.
Car sharing (sort of), even when there's no bus strike, I'm all for it Stuart.. :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

stuart wrote:No problem. Continue to Balham and catch a train south from there. Remember you can take the usually reliable Overground to CP as backup and pick up extra trains from Norwood Junction to Balham there.

Stuart
I meant Streatham Common, the big green space, not the station (which isn't all that near the top end of the Common).

Any-hoo, I never denied it was possible by train, but it's fifteen mins by car max at 7:30am, and I've nowhere else to be. If I had to get myself to work as well, I'd leave them to fend for themselves.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No trouble by train for me and must say 75 seems to be operating a lot of buses.

Someone else also mentioned that their grievance seems to be that all the companies give different wages. I would imagine that is the case with most professions.

I suppose companies could get together and get an average salary for all, but why .
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

TfL updates says about ⅓ of buses are running.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Roads much clearer today without being jammed up by buses
stuart

Post by stuart »

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Makes a good point Stuart. Car sharing point could at least halve those cars.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Eagle wrote:Not sure what solutions there are. I will travel by train not bus. Not suitable for everyone I know.
It certainly wasn't. If you have some sort of bus pass, you could wave your ticket at the guy at the ticket barrier and get let through. If you had Oyster PAYG, you got clobbered for the entire cost of your fare, whatever that may be - say if you'd had to go round 3 sides of a square on trains because your bus wasn't running, you could easily clock up £6 or more instead of £1.50, and no refunds. I'd been planning on going from work down in Beckenham to Norwood Junction tonight, but gave up after, when watching the Countdown indicator online, it kept saying that there weren't any buses within 30 minutes on the 75 route.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Alwin

That was strange about 75 as about 9am it seemed the only bus running and one every 10 mins or so. I suppose new shift in the evening.

Over now . Hopefully the Government can rush their 40% plus vote for strike though quickly as 16% a joke, one must suppose the garages were picketed .