Cherry & Ice Games Night

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Cherryandice

Cherry & Ice Games Night

Post by Cherryandice »

Hello Everyone,
We are having our 1st Games Night on Thursday January 29th, from 6pm - 9:30pm so, if you enjoy Monopoly , Scrabble, Jenga, Draught, Domino and all the family classics please join in a night filled with laugther, fun and games !!!
1st coffee on the house !!

We are look forward to seeing you all :D

CHERRY & ICE
27 Sydenham Road
SE26 5EX
0208 659 9787
Tim Lund

Re: Cherry & Ice Games Night

Post by Tim Lund »

Can I ask if you will be applying this rule:
If a player lands on property and refuses to buy it the others may bid on the property.
Official rules

It makes a massive difference to whether a game of Monopoly drags on.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

If only our little girl was a bit older but she's in bed at 7. Sounds lie, a great idea and I hope it's a fantastic success
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree with Robbie, great idea, same predicament here.

There was a place that did this in Clapham years ago (before sit was trendy) and it was great fun. I've never lost a game of Monopoly. I would relish the challenge!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I can't remember a game of Monopoly that I've lost either. 2.5 hours doesn't seem anywhere near long enough for one game of Monopoly let alone several other games as well... maybe my method of boring everyone else into submission wouldn't work here.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

JRobinson wrote:I can't remember a game of Monopoly that I've lost either. 2.5 hours doesn't seem anywhere near long enough for one game of Monopoly let alone several other games as well... maybe my method of boring everyone else into submission wouldn't work here.
There is no way a game of Monopoly takes that long if you play the rule I mentioned - which is in the official rules.

The other reason it normally drags on is because players are too cautious, and underinvest, sitting on cash.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

there is of course a quick game where you set a time limit for the game to end, and the winner is the person with the most wealth. I agree that not everyone knows the rule of auctioning off a property should the person who landed on it not be tempted to buy it. I think that there may have been a rule change as I don't recall playing by this rule as a child with my parents old version of the game, but did when I started university and had my own new Monopoly set.

we used to play 'house rules' (also called French rules) where any tax paid via the cards or board went into a pile at the centre of the board and this was collected should you land on 'Free Parking'. Also a bonus of £100 for rolling a double six.

my friend decided that he could build houses on the stations, and other rather unfair rules, which probably explains why he always won when playing against his little sister.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Monopoly was featured in last Friday's Radio 4 'More or Less' programme. From about 16:30 at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04y53fk. It wasn't pretty.

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

stuart wrote:Monopoly was featured in last Friday's Radio 4 'More or Less' programme. From about 16:30 at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04y53fk. It wasn't pretty.

Stuart
Interesting. He may be right about Monopoly not appealing to board game geeks, but I wonder if he's missing out on ordinary people's fantasies of being property tycoons. I used to think Monopoly was invented by an American Marxist with the idea of proving that capitalism was inherently unstable, thanks to the phenomenon of increasing returns to scale, which you can see here

- each house costs the same, but as you build more houses, the expected payback to each increases - which is often more in more in line with the real world than the hypotheses of neo-classical economics. That it results in a very uneven distribution of wealth can be demonstrated mathematically, but with Monopoly, you act it out.

However, just checking my facts, I discovered that the commercial game was a rip off from an older game inspired by a non Marxist strand of economics, whose developers, in a more open source way, developed something called The Landlords' Game to simulate how an economy would work, but including a system of taxation
Magie designed the game to be a "practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences". She based the game on the economic principles of Georgism, a system proposed by Henry George, with the object of demonstrating how rents enrich property owners and impoverish tenants. She knew that some people could find it hard to understand why this happened and what might be done about it, and she thought that if Georgist ideas were put into the concrete form of a game, they might be easier to demonstrate. Magie also hoped that when played by children the game would provoke their natural suspicion of unfairness, and that they might carry this awareness into adulthood.
Source here

Again according to Wikipedia
The main Georgist policy tool is a fee assessed on location value, commonly called a land value tax (LVT).
an idea which is still knocking around. I referred to it in this thread

Disappointingly for any Marxists out there, along came FDR, to demonstrate that through government intervention, liberal society does not have to collapse under the weight of its own contradictions.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

BTW, if playing scrabble, do you use a chess clock to limit how long people take over their moves? What rules do you allow for looking up words? Also, there's a massive advantage to anyone who has memorised all the obscure two letter words, like AA, SH, ST, QI, KI, and if playing against someone who hasn't, it seems rather unfair.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It sounds like a fun evening and I hope nobody is quite as obsessive about the rules as this thread suggests !

I think it's great to try these events and I really hope it goes well - perfect evening economy type activity and sounds like anybody could come along and enjoy it .

A very good evening
Nigel
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

That's OK, Nigel - I'll probably be staying in :)
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

For those wanting a quicker game I've just funded Exploding Kittens on Kickstarter. I will report back if it's any good (once it arrives) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... ng-kittens
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

JRobinson wrote:I can't remember a game of Monopoly that I've lost either.
Well, if I can make it, prepare for the first time ;-)
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I have lost before, but I just don't remember it. apparently short term memory loss is a side affect from the rage that consumes me whilst in a losing position at Monopoly. You've been warned.

Tim - we don't use a chess timer (but probably should) - my wife, and mother both get annoyed waiting for me and my dad to take our turns. It's possible that we're both slightly dislexic, but also we both want to win, so both try to find the highest scoring words, what do you do - find a good word with your letter, and then try to find a space on the board, or find a space on the board and then try to find a word that fits there, or do you find a space, and a bonus square and then try to think of a word that fits? Or all three at the same time? which takes a while. No we're not allowed to check if words are acceptable before playing them - thems the rules. You play a word only if you know its a word. If others disagree after you played it, they can challenge, in which case we use a scrabble dictionary to check. There's no obligation to know what the word means, just that it is a word. Themed scrabble (every word played has some connection to the theme chosen at the start) has been mentioned, but vetoed as it would take far too long. I try to aim for 20+ score per word if possible.

Maybe the Greyhound will have board games that we can utliise on a regular basis...?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Will Tim allow us to build hotels instead of houses?

;-)
missT

Post by missT »

Looking forward to this!!! Going to be a lot of fun! :D
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Goodness - all this talk about rules, etc I am wondering if Cherry & Ice are now regretting putting a games night on :) I think it was only meant to be a light hearted evening for locals to get to know each other. Hope it doesn't turn into WW3 with people disputing every move....

Love the thought behind the idea and hope it is a resounding success without any issues over 'rules'.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

unfortunately I'm unlikely to be able to attend tonight, even though I think it's a great idea. I'd be up for future events if this one is a success and it happens again.
missT

Post by missT »

What a fantastic night!!
Well done guys !
we are looking forward to The next one!