Living on Wells Park Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jecwells

Living on Wells Park Road

Post by jecwells »

Hi Sydenham Folk,

As the subject suggests, my wife and I are thinking about moving to Sydenham and have seen a place on Wells Park Road (just near the park). The place seems nice, but I have read some mixed reviews about the area.... Some glowing, but some wary of the safety in that particular part of town....can anyone help shed any light!? My wife in particular wants to live somewhere she feels completely safe walking hone from the station.

Thanks in advance.
Robin Orton

Re: Living on Wells Park Road

Post by Robin Orton »

I know some very respectable people who live happily on or just off Wells Park Road and have never heard them complain of any problems. I suspect the slightly dodgy reputation the area has got is partly due to the fact that physically some of it looks a bit run down.
demeaux

Post by demeaux »

I've just, well 6 months ago, moved to Wells Park Road. From Streatham / West Norwood.
I was initially upset to find out about the stabbing and did think "what the actual **** have I done?".
There's a lot of regeneration work on the lewisham homes houses that appears to have paused (scaffolding has been there for ages)

However, the area is great. It's family friendly, the park is brilliant. Kirkdale is picking up (I think) the new shoe shop indicates to me something is going to happen soon.
The sparks shop is nice, the owners are great.
Yes, there's the local kids who hang out by the shop.
But, I've not had any bother.

My family are settled, my daughter loves the place. And importantly we might actually get into a decent school.
It's close enough to walk to Sydenham Hill, I've done it at 5 in the morning and later at night. It's close enough to walk to Sydenham station. And safe enough. I've even walked to Forest Hill. So. Yeah. In short, it's good.
Tom1

Post by Tom1 »

I've lived on Wells Park Road since 2006 - no problems and really like the area.