Turning Right under Catford Bridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Post by marymck »

The problem with the sign written on the tarmac is that there are always cars obscuring it. It would seem to make far more sense to have a sign on a post at the Wickes entrance.

However, I didn't know you were allowed to turn right into the Halford's entrance. Whilst that's good news, I can't see the logic of allowing a right turn there but not at the Wickes entrance immediately before it.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Weeble wrote:How is the no right turn marked? - I must confess I have never noticed! In fact I'm even mis-imagining that there is a right-hand filter! :oops:
The no right turns have been in place since 1995 (as detailed here). As was mentioned earlier, there is a no right turn (and one of those camera warning signs) mounted on the lefthand bridge pillar. The guys in Wickes will happily tell you about the camera mounted high in the sky, further down Catford Hill which is used to ticket them. Apparently you don't get caught if it's looking the other way.

I always wondered whether you could turn right into Halfords. Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought it would make sense to put a mini roundabout there and combine the Halfords/ Wickes entrance, but I guess that different people own the land.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I hvae a turning right question about our high street which if someone could answer it for me I would be grateful.

Do the lights next to Slatters apply to traffic going straight or turning left at the lights only or do they also apply to the right hand turn just before the lights taking you into the road next to Somerfield? I always dither a bit there and end up waiting for the lights to turn green although I see other cars turning anyway.

Thanks.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

From this photo on Google, it looks like there is an inverted triangle painted on the road in the right filter, which means that you have to Give Way before turning - no need to wait for the lights.

The Highway Code
Road Markings
sophie

Post by sophie »

Thanks for that!

:)
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

same taken from 192.com maps

http://www.192.com/maps/?lev=0&px=535699&py=171437

this site keeps me going for hours !
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

If unsure, just do what I do and wait at the red until someone beeps you. Then you know its one of 'those' right turns. Unless they are wrong too, which is quite likely.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

goonerchamp wrote:same taken from 192.com maps

http://www.192.com/maps/?lev=0&px=535699&py=171437

this site keeps me going for hours !
That would be the remains of a Pelican Crossing Zig-Zag and a Hazard Warning Line as defined in rule 127 ;)
Highway Code wrote:127
A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.
--
Edit: added zig-zag
michael

Post by michael »

Official confirmation on se23.com

It is legal to turn into Halfords but not Wickes. No longer any need to go all the way round Catford to get to Wickes, just turn round in Halfords.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Well that's pretty definitive! Thank you Michael.

As I said in my earlier post, I can't understand why it's considered dangerous and/or a hold up to turn right into Wickes, when it's OK to turn right into Halford's.

Just goes to prove it's nothing to do with road safety or traffic flow ... it's just about bringing in revenue.

Also, how can the camera show (at the point that the photo is snapped) which entrance you're actually turning into? Or is there moving footage?
poppy

Wickes

Post by poppy »

I recently got fined for turning right into Wickes too. I have known for years that you could not turn left coming out because there is a sign directly in front of you. The warning for the former restriction is on the left hand side as you approach, not that close to the entrance and if you are looking for the right turning as I was you could easily miss it!

Also agree with the 'ahead only' writing on the ground, you can't see it if the traffic is heavy.

I said all this to tfl, who did not, not surprisingly take my comments on board.

The £60 fine is also disproportionate in my opinion, like many of these fines.
davetheeagle

Post by davetheeagle »

My daughter just rang to say that I had incurred a fine on her car for ignoring a no-right turn sign in Catford. The last time I was in Catford was when I took her car to Gonella Brothers which is under the bridge for a repair.

Until I found this forum I couldn't understand where I had gone wrong. Driving from Blackheath I missed the turning for their workshop and turned around further down the road towards Sydenham. Clearly I am at fault twice for turning right into their place of work and turning right onto Catford Hill when exiting.

Having driven for almost 40 years without even a parking ticket I am exceedingly peed off. OK clearly my fault if I missed the signs but what a joke having to drive all the way into Catford if you come from Sydenham (where I lived for many years).

I must drive down there to check it out with my eyes open this time.

Hang on should I expect another fine. YOU B******
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

the excessive road restrictions here in london are stupid.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

lambchops wrote:the excessive road restrictions here in london are stupid.
I know this is going to sound fascecious, but....

If you don't like them then don't drive. I've never driven, nor have my parents. It work out cheaper, generally less stress and not much more inconvenient or slower...
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

bensonby wrote:
lambchops wrote:the excessive road restrictions here in london are stupid.
I know this is going to sound fascecious, but....

If you don't like them then don't drive. I've never driven, nor have my parents. It work out cheaper, generally less stress and not much more inconvenient or slower...
That's all well and good but some of us don't have a choice. There are many people out there whose job demands they drive, for example.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

get a car you frigging hippy.
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

Bensonby: Is that through choice or inability? :D
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

hahahahah!!!

have got to say that the pommy driving licence test is REALLY hard.