Turning Right under Catford Bridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Eagle

Turning Right under Catford Bridge

Post by The Eagle »

Just to inform people that a camera is now in operation catching vehicles that are turning right into Wickes just under the bridge (coming from Sydenham). There is, and always has been no right turn into there. Likewise when coming out of Wickes there is also No Right Turn (towards Catford).
The camera is operated by Red Route???? and is a fine of £120.00 or £60.00 if paid within X number of days.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Thanks for the info - I was unaware there was no right turn there, and I've been in that car park quite a lot recently.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

I remember there being a no left turn but a no right turn? What's the point other than catching unwary motorists (and I haven't got a car but I find this totally pointless)

That means to get to Wickes/Halfords from Sydenham you have to drive past the turning all the way to the Broadway, go around the Catford one way system, come back the same way then take a left? OR hang a right at the savacentre, down Southend Lane, left to Catford, left again to Catford Bridge then left to Wickes? That's bloody ridiculous.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Nork1 - I find your posting surprising.

This is what many of us have been doing unwillingly for many years. Are you telling me you have never noticed the no right turn sign in front of the bridge? Or noticed the chaos caused at this notorious south circ pinch point when someone ignores it?

If you get a car 'not noticing' would make you a danger to us all.

It may be a stupid place to put a car based retail park but that does not excuse stupid and inconsiderate behaviour by anybody behind a wheel.

PP
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

To negate the need to make such an illegal manouvre, why not use Sydenham DIY, who have most of the things you can get at Wickes.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

How is the no right turn marked? - I must confess I have never noticed! In fact I'm even mis-imagining that there is a right-hand filter! :oops:
Paddy Pantsdown

Weeble wrote:How is the no right turn marked?
Like this: http://tinyurl.com/yqncgg

I am a bit worried. Please assure me you have never driven a car or ridden a bike. Even pedestrians should know this.

Oh, I see you have. Go back and look at that sign just before the bridge. Missing it once if you unfamiliar with the area may be forgiveable. However, if you have missed in more than three times I think you should ask yourself if you are really safe to drive. At a minimum you should have your eyes tested before you drive again. I am being serious. I do have to share the road with you.

We do have two excellent optometrists within walking distance in Sydenham Road.

PP
user100

Post by user100 »

Oh dear Paddy Pantsdown

You weren't so observant yourself earlier were you, when you jumped down Nork1's throat about him not noticing this sign, despite the fact he had clearly said he doesn't drive.

What a silly billy :-)

But why apologise or back down, when a bit of message deletion and editing can save you that humiliation :-)

Silly billy ! :oops:
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

I must be optically challenged as well as I have never noticed the 'no righter' into Wickes. It must be the sense of anticipation and excitement I always feel when approaching Wickes; the thought of the sawn timber to assess; the smell of plumber's mate - oh dear I'd better stop now.
Paddy Pantsdown

user100 wrote:You weren't so observant yourself earlier were you, when you jumped down Nork1's throat about him not noticing this sign, despite the fact he had clearly said he doesn't drive.
Dear user100

Maybe you should consult an optomerist too. Check back to my response to Nork. "If you get a car ... " might just indicate I had observed just that. Nork's main point was that he was saying that having a no right turn was ridiculous whereas I was pointing out that many motorists had noticed/obeyed it and the justification was only too evident when people ignored it.

I do plead guilty to being somewhat more aggressive to Weeble. His remark about being "in the car park a lot recently" would suggest he is a car driver and has been passed the sign many times without noticing it. That, in my book, makes him or her potentially a dangerous driver.
user100 wrote:But why apologise or back down, when a bit of message deletion and editing can save you that humiliation
Of course I will apologise if I have misunderstood the situation. Will you do the same? What do you mean by your editing/deletion remark? Please substantiate or withdraw.

PP
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Since I've got nothing better to do (except a tax return, etc.) I feel compelled to add to this debate. Is the ''no right turn' a new thing? I used to always turn right into Wickes – and usually a kind driver would stop and flash their lights to let me in.
I consider myself quite observant but I confess I have never seen this no right turn sign. Maybe I am selectively blind to stupid signs because I can't think why there'd be one at that spot. If there is - it should be removed.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

To my knowledge there has always been a No Right Turn into Wickes ever since it opened (15 years ago????). There was always a NO Right Turn sign on the post opposite the entrance/exit.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

.... and even if you miss the sign, the words "AHEAD ONLY" written on the road might give you a clue! :idea:
user100

Apologies

Post by user100 »

As this is a friendly forum, I apologise and unreservedly withdraw my earlier remarks.

Great thread, thanks to the OP for letting us know about that junction. I too was blissfully unaware that there was no right turn at that junction, and I must have broken the law there around 100 times at least.

All I can say is oops and sorry everyone.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Paddy Pantsdown wrote:
Weeble wrote:How is the no right turn marked?
Like this: http://tinyurl.com/yqncgg
PP
yes, yes I KNOW what a no right turn sign looks like, I was more interested in where these signs are at the Wickes entrance, as I (and others it would clearly seem) have never noticed them.

Unless they have improved the signage, it sounds like this camera is going to be quite lucrative!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Thanks for the heads up. I've known that that sign has been there for a number of years but, not knowing Catford, thought it might refer to a turning up ahead as I've often noticed traffic turning right into Wickes, hence thinking that the sign must refer to another turning. (I normally turn left further up, so it doesn't affect me).

Perhaps the sign should be changed to show "No right turn into Wickes or the retail park(?)" or some such. If I recall correctly, it's very close to the turning whereas such signs do tend to refer to something ahead. Maybe it should be signed further back at the traffic lights?

Probably talking through my hat, but it could be better shown to relate to that turning one way or another.
AMFM

Post by AMFM »

The no right turn applies to the Wickes entrance but not to the Halfords/Paul Simon one so you can get around it that way if you don't object to carrying your purchases a little bit further from Wickes!
Bamy

Post by Bamy »

Tip: Instead of going all the way round the one-way, you can turn left just after the bus stop/pub down Doggett Road, loop round to Thomas Lane and turn right towards Wickes at the traffic lights.

I only know this because I was stung with a fine for the forbidden right turn so studied the A-Z. Wickes should put signs up to point out this quick, fine-free route.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Why go that far..........
Just under the bridge, turn left (then do a U turn or similar) and then turn right into the main road (or is there no right turn there?) and then left into Wickes
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

The Eagle wrote:Why go that far..........
Just under the bridge, turn left (then do a U turn or similar) and then turn right into the main road (or is there no right turn there?) and then left into Wickes
There is definitely no right turn