Mayow Park - New exercise equipment

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Mayow Park - New exercise equipment

Post by gillyjp »

A round of applause to Lewisham Officers who I am assuming have been instrumental ( but am sure I will be corrected on here if that is not the case) in getting the outside exercise apparatus erected in Mayow Park. I have watched this going up for the last couple of weeks and I think it is very encouraging for locals who I’m sure will make good use of it. I might have a go myself.
Pally

Re: Mayow Park - New exercise equipment

Post by Pally »

There was a questionnaire in the summer about what people would like in the park .... as Lewisham had successfully bid for some funding I think. Agree the equipment looks great!
_HB

Post by _HB »

Don't be such a miserable git. It's a shared space. And Dulwich Park is a lovely, vibrant place.

Lewisham is one of the poorest and least healthy boroughs in the country. Well done LBL for doing something worthwhile.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Oh dear – well you can’t please all the people all of the time I guess.

Mayow Park is hardly teeming with joggers and people taking exercise but I thought that was some of what a park is all about. On a week day it is virtually empty save for a few joggers (only witnessed 2 maximum at any one time) dog walkers and parents with pushchairs.

Anyway – surely Mayow park is big enough to accommodate anyone wishing to either exercise, walk their dogs or jog? Long may it continue to be a communal space for all to enjoy.

As for Dulwich Park - I love it. I really don't mind dodging the bikers and joggers. It is good to see a park being enjoyed and utilised to it's fullest extent and can only be a good thing for the community.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I think the new trim trail in Mayow Park is excellent.

You can be sure that it has been paid for by LB Lewisham, so congratulations to them.

If Mayow Park isn't exactly teeming with joggers and people taking exercise, that's a shame, although it could be something to do with the weather. Let's wait till the summer, and see how many people come, not just to the trim trail, but also the children's playground, the café, the Grow Mayow community garden, and to watch the cricket. Saturday morning from autumn to spring you can also see kids from 7 - 14 playing football, not organised by LB Lewisham, but made possible by them thanks to the ground maintenance they pay for, done by Groundwork.

It's worth remembering also that originally it was called the Sydenham Recreation Ground - that's why Recreation Road is so called. It was laid out in 1876 as it was, with space for cricket in the middle, for people to exercise and play games. It was also meant to be a place for everyone to go freely, unlike Crystal Palace Park, which at the time required an entrance fee.

London's population has just hit a new peak, with the increases, compared the the previous peak in 1939, coming in the not so central areas such as we live in. It is completely unrealistic, and dare I say it selfish, to think parks can be there to satisfy our yearnings for solitude.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

I'm sure the new equipment an asset to the park and I speak as a daily dog-walker. I used to take he kids there 20 years ago when we lived in Forest Hill and it was a bit of a dump, it's improved immeasurably. It amused me to see that the notice introducing the trim trail says something like "not suitable for children's play". What planet are they on! The only people I've seen using it so far are children, and good for them!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

sparticus wrote:I'm sure the new equipment an asset to the park and I speak as a daily dog-walker. I used to take he kids there 20 years ago when we lived in Forest Hill and it was a bit of a dump, it's improved immeasurably. It amused me to see that the notice introducing the trim trail says something like "not suitable for children's play". What planet are they on! The only people I've seen using it so far are children, and good for them!
Planet Think-about-what-the-lawyers-might-say :)
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Any news if the paths will be resurfaced? Those are in desperate need of repair and quite easy to trip or roll your ankle on.

The Gym equipment is welcome and doesn't dominate the peaceful park space, the noise will be drowned out by the kids playground anyway. We should all be trying to be healthier and I hope this helps motivate people being free! :)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Ronski - resurfacing paths is more expensive than you would imagine, but it's certainly something LB Lewisham would like to find funds for.

Seriously, the best thing anyone can do about this is to contact local councillors and let them understand that we will say nice things about them when they find the money, and will smile happily at the cameras when the photo ops arise.

Here's one such from the opening of the Mayow Park Café, which thanks to the need to rebuild the sewer connection, cost massively more than anticipated

Source FOMP Facebook