Crystal Palace Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Re: Crystal Palace Park

Post by Pat Trembath »

To update the last post. Having been to the National Sports Centre this morning I can report the tennis courts have been refurbished, there is a Toddlers' Soccer facility and a Toddlers' Gym and a climbing wall has recently been completed.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

Thank you for clearing that one up. Having just found out how easy it is to get to the NSC, I was worried that we would be without a local pool until Forest Hill's is completed.
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

LivesNearby wrote:I see from English Heritage that Crystal Palace's pool is only going to be open until 2012 following approval of the Crystal Palace Masterplan when "It will then be converted to 'dry' use to complement a new sports centre nearby."

Does anybody have any information on what is to be built? It appears that CrystalPalacePark.org.uk has been taken down. Are the swimming facilities to be replaced and is there a tentative schedule for when any new pool would be built?
It seems highly unlikely that any of these proposals will take place due to the simple fact there are no longer any funds available. The LDA has pulled out of CPP leaving Bromley Council totally responsible for maintenance funding. I cannot see Bromley looking for massive increase in CPP expenditure in these current economic climes.

Here's a link to a recent article on Masterplan http://www.crystalpa...get-green-light
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

The LDA have pulled out of the park but my understanding is that they still have the lease on the Sports Hall and Stadium. Still doesn't mean the conversion will happen but I don't think that part of it is down to Bromley council tax payers.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

Cllr John Getgood wrote:The LDA have pulled out of the park but my understanding is that they still have the lease on the Sports Hall and Stadium. Still doesn't mean the conversion will happen but I don't think that part of it is down to Bromley council tax payers.

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
Nor should it be Cllr Getood. The NSC is a national as well as regional facility and, unlike the park, it should not be expected to be funded by Bromley or any other Council. The way I see it unless a private commercial organisation comes forward with a massive cash injection, enough to build a new stadium and sports centre to duplicate the existing NSC facilities, then the NSC (that has just enjoyed a £1m revamp) will continue to function as it is.
Cllr John Getgood

Post by Cllr John Getgood »

The "plan" is that after the Olympics, Crystal Palace Sports Hall and Stadium become regional facilities (rather than national) under the LDA's responsibility. The Sports Hall becomes dry and a new swimming pool is built alongside a restructured stadium. A lot can happen between now and then though. Who will be Mayor? What priorities? And most of all, how much money?

Cllr John Getgood
Penge & Cator
dickp

Post by dickp »

Which would cost millions..I'd rather the money was spent clearing up the huge amounts of derelict junk, falling down walls and shabby concrete in the park, rather than simply moving a perfectly serviceable (and recently repaired) swimming pool 200 metres to the right.
SMOKEIT

Post by SMOKEIT »

I REALLY HOPE THINGS GO AHEAD WITH THE PARK...I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE PLANS.... THE EXTENT OF HOUSING IS GETTING COMPLETELY BLOWN OUT OFF PROPORTION. ENGLISH HERITAGE HAVE GIVEN THE PLANS GREAT REVIEWS AND THEY WERE THE ONES WHO LISTED THE PARKLAND IN THE FIRST PLACE.
I HOPE THOSE CLOWNS A CPCA WILL FINALLY GIVE IT A REST AND REALISE THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN
chris_thomas

Post by chris_thomas »

Masterplan decision delayed: “on or before 22 November"

The Department of Communities and Local Government wrote to interested parties on Friday to say they have now received the additional section 106 planning agreement from the LDA and London Borough of Bromley, along with two proposed new planning conditions. The Secretary of State has insisted on amendments to the section 106 planning agreement due to its original shortcomings. (The purpose of the additional section is to ensure the profits made from a housing development would be used for improving the Park).
This will mean no housing development until work is started on the Park itself.

Also a letter has been received from the Crystal Palace Foundation urging the Secretary of State to reconsider building on Rockhills as it is a site of historical significance.

Copies of the letters can be seen at
http://wzsha.th8.us
chris_thomas

Post by chris_thomas »

Masterplan decision now delayed to December!
http://6onxo.th8.us