New World Record Attempt in Sydenham Rd Sun 8 March!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

We're now delighted to announce that Lewisham Council have granted us permission for a very temporary Road Closure on Sun 8 March for our spectacular World Record Attempt. Details here:

/http://www.sydenhamarts.co.uk/event/wo ... he-street/

We do still need:

Volunteers on the day to help lay out the books and assist after the event to distribute books to the public - please come along from 9am if you can help
Books! Please donate good quality children's books - these may be left at either Sydenham Library or Kirkdale Bookshop
Independent witnesses - to adjudicate that the line of books is completed and unbroken. To be considered, please email director@sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk

Hope to see you on the day!

Sydenham Arts Word Fair organising team
Leese

Re: New World Record Attempt in Sydenham Rd Sun 8 March!

Post by Leese »

You may be delighted, but I'm sure all the Sydenham residents who will be inconvenienced by this stunt will not be. There are several large parks in Sydenham which could have accommodated something like this, but instead you choose to close the only main thoroughfare in the area. I dread to think of the knock-on effect elsewhere. It'll be chaos, and for what? Self-indulgent nonsense?
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Indeed.
How dare you encourage the youth of sydenham to read,to become engaged and encouraged to participate in a community activity and transform a busy and polluting mean main road into something beautfiful and inspiring.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Absolutely.

Positively shocking. Whatever next....?
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Anyone able to lend a wheelbarrow or two for Sunday's world record attempt? We still need volunteers to help lay out 5000+ books the length of the high street and this would seem a good way to move them about! Please message here or email director@sydenhamartsfestival.co.uk

and in a brief response to Leese: road closures will be for about 5-10 mins. Sorry in advance for any inconvenience!

Thanks to all those who understand what we're trying to do!

Sydenham Arts
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Do you still need books?
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

Yes please. Good condition children's books only please. The larger the better! Books may be left at Kirkdale Bookshop or Sydenham Community Library.

Thanks

Sydenham Arts organising team
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

I just hope it doesn't rain.

World's biggest pile of papier mache.....
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Well I see the sun is out, sticking his tongue out at me.... hope it goes well :)
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I went to see this.

Books were laid out on the edge of the pavement. Gaps were left where the bus stops and crossing and side roads were, until around 11, when the side roads were closed for about 10 minutes, and the gaps were filled in by teams posted up and down the road.

Didn't notice much congestion or inconvenience, not like during the week when it is carnage down there due to sheer numbers of cars, but of course Sunday morning is often quite quiet anyway.

After the gaps had been filled, children were allowed to pick up books, while a man with measuring device went down the road. Really nice to see.

Thought it was very well organised. Shame it wasn't a bit better supported by the community, but I guess that's Sydenham for you :)
onikosi123

Post by onikosi123 »

A MASSIVE WELL DONE TO SYDENHAM ARTS......

It was a great day in Sydenham this morning with books lined up along Sydenham Road.....great interest from residents, commuters and local businesses.

I adjudicated a section, from Fairlawn Park to Sydenham library Piazza, so if anyone wants to see my video recording of that section please let me know. Although lining up of books is quite a simple concept, it was fascinating to witness, thank you Sydenham Arts.

Well done to Jonathan and his great team!

Cllr Rachel Onikosi
Maria

Post by Maria »

Oh it was just amazing! We went with books and came back with even more...what fun!
(And now a little grand daughter knows everything there is to know about no other than.... Nelson Mandela)