Demolition of Sydenham Rd between Kent Hse and Knighton Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Parky

Demolition of Sydenham Rd between Kent Hse and Knighton Park

Post by Parky »

I've just come home to a leaflet saying that the owners of the stretch of buildings on Sydenham Road between Kent House Rd and Knighton Park are looking to knock them down and rebuild. They plan on new retail units and flats. There is also mention of two 3 bedroom houses being built on Knighton Park Rd. I can see no mention of additional parking, parking is already horrendous along there. It looks like there are two consultation sessions this week (nothing like giving you much notice!) and I will post details when I've confirmed them.

Any thoughts people?

Thanks.
leenewham

Re: Demolition of Sydenham Rd between Kent Hse and Knighton

Post by leenewham »

They will struggle as most seem to be in private hands.

They need doing up, but the buildings add to the character of the area. Do you have more details? Is there a planning application?

I can't think of a single new build in Sydenham that has improved the character and identity of the area compared to the potential of the original building.
simon

Post by simon »

I received the leaflet also. It is only the building that houses Solo Education and the Lowcost shop, wrapping around to KPR as far as the first houses on the odd numbered side. Personally, I'm quite relaxed at about it present. But them I live further up the road and am unlikely to be affected.
Parky

Post by Parky »

Hi all, I've now spoken to them and can confirm it is the corner unit only and the proposed two houses.

The plans are on view at 138 Sydenham Road on Thursday 5.30pm - 7.30pm and Friday 12-2pm.

I don't know whether they have applied to the Council yet, I will try to find out. My main concern is the affect it will have on parking in the road (and I don't even have a car) and how they will "blend in" two new builds to a lovely 1880s road.
Parky

Post by Parky »

Lee - I've looked at the Council website and I can't see that they have put in for planning permission yet.
Poppy2011

Post by Poppy2011 »

I've just read the leaflet too and am wondering how they are going to fit 2 x 3 bed houses in that space. Parking won't affect me as I'm at the other end too but can see it will have an impact on those who are nearer. Agree that the new builds won't add anything to the character but then neither does the Hexagon building. Think I will go and have a look at the plans out of interest ...
pip

Post by pip »

And they will presumably demolish the old cow shed. The only bit left of the old dairy which once stood on that site.
Parky

Post by Parky »

I assume so Pip.

In summary they are proposing building:

7 flats (4 one bed, 2 two bed, 1 three bed)
2 three bed houses

"There will be generous cycle parking for the flats with at least 2 spaces per home. No off-street parking is provided as the area is very well provided by public transport."

There's very little chance of parking as it is!!!!!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's why some of the shops park on the pavement directly outside of the shops (I thought this was supposed to have been designed out when they redid the paving).
simon

Post by simon »

To fair Lee, the Hexagon building was a great improvement on what was there before. I've always had a soft spot for it.
The plans would appear to include building over the window on the upstairs of the Lovely Gallery.
I see the Lowcost supermarket has now closed.