The nightmare that is Southern Rail....

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
somerandombloke

Re: The nightmare that is Southern Rail....

Post by somerandombloke »

Im supposed to be driving up to a job nearCambridge next Tuesday. Think I might go up on Monday evening an stay at a mates cos teh roads will be mental on Tuesday morning.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

somerandombloke wrote:Im supposed to be driving up to a job nearCambridge next Tuesday. Think I might go up on Monday evening an stay at a mates cos teh roads will be mental on Tuesday morning.
Probably a good idea. Though you would be wise to do it late evening if you are doing Rotherhithe Tunnel->A13->M11 as the A13 and M11 going out of town in evening rush hour is a nightmare.
somerandombloke

Oh yeah aint gonna leave home till gone 20:00 an probably do the Blackwall tunnel route.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

JRobinson wrote:let me google tube driver starting salary for you

back in 2011 - pay was £46k, and said to rise above £50k

... yeah, you're right - train driver pay is not that good :shock:
wow £50k this very good pay. mayby soon i get tube driving job. why they stike is jus greed?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

alburt.c wrote:
JRobinson wrote:let me google tube driver starting salary for you

back in 2011 - pay was £46k, and said to rise above £50k

... yeah, you're right - train driver pay is not that good :shock:
wow £50k this very good pay. mayby soon i get tube driving job. why they stike is jus greed?
Well I don't know if train drivers get paid the same as Tube drivers, but Yeah, I think I am in the wrong job. Long hours, lots of responsibility and stress and get paid less than a tube driver..... a bit worrying.
stuart

Post by stuart »

The smaller of the two unions has settled (3000 workers). Talks continue with the RMT (16000 workers). Fingers crossed.

Stuart
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

starting salary is only £17.5k though.

There's a lot to learn to become a train driver.

Strikes are usually about pensions, or agreed pay increases being stopped, or T&Cs changing. Got to protect the workers!
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

remember the tube driver (or as they were called in the past a 'motorman') is legally and practically responsible for the passengers on board. (It used to be the Guard until they merged the posts). In the event of any incident, or breakdown, they have the task of isolating fault and getting the train to a 'better' place, if at all possible - but more importantly protecting and keeping safe the passengers.

Warranted most of the time they are 'just' driving (don't discount this as a mindless exercise though as there's some need to be alert out in the open where access to track by those with malicious intent is straightforward.

Not sure of the figures but there can be more than a couple of hundred passengers crammed onto a tube train.

So all in all - they do have responsibilities - and can be held liable if they don't fulfil them.
somerandombloke

The capacity of a standard Tube train is from 600 up to over 800. Thats a lot of responsibility. I used to know a Tube driver who left after 15 or so years cos he couldnt take the stress any more.
stuart

Post by stuart »

ITS OFF: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32832191. Saved me a 60 mile bike ride back home Tuesday!

Stuart
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

stuart wrote:ITS OFF: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32832191. Saved me a 60 mile bike ride back home Tuesday!

Stuart
AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING AND DRINKING OF WINE AND BEER!

*Cheers*
somerandombloke

Still gonna go up to Camridge on Monday night goin out to dinner with my mate and his missus.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Another strike announced... well 2 actually

24hrs on 4th June starting at 1700
48hrs on 9th June starting at 1700

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32920794
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bring in strong new laws urgently.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

People do love bashing Southern Rail don't they?

Just remind me again whose staff are going on strike?
biscuitman1978

The nightmare that is Southern Rail....

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:If you haven't seen it, you may be interested in the Joint Improvement Plan - see http://www.southernrailway.com/download ... ance-plan/
For those who are interested, Southern's Joint Improvement Plan Update (July 2015) is available at https://communications-crm.custhelp.com/

Things do seem to have improved, and it's great to have all the London Bridge to Sydenham trains back in the evening peak. What do others think?

Meanwhile, the work at London Bridge appears to be progressing well: http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/st ... n-rebuild/
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A video of this summer's demolition of the viaduct into London Bridge from New Cross Gate. Hence the new year problems of squeezing the trains on our line onto sharing other tracks while they build the dive under:

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Anyone recognise the impressive background music to the video? Beethoven? Schubert?