AMAZING SANDWICHES…

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

AMAZING SANDWICHES…

Post by leenewham »

From The Marketplace for lunch.

Really amazing. The salt beef is fantastic but the halloumi just shades it.

If you haven't been, it's worth going just for these.
CATLADY

Re: AMAZING SANDWICHES…

Post by CATLADY »

I find this hard to believe - I had to wait 20 minutes for my sandwich to be made for what was advertised to be a toasted pastrami sandwich with cheese and gherkins.
When it finally arrived it felt rather light but I took it home and upon unwrapping it found there was one miserable piece of meat ,no gherkin or cheese-all for £5!!! I noticed also when in the shop the pastrami came from a Sainsbury's packet!!
Next time will stick with Slatters for it is honest and good value!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I really want to like this cafe but I too found the food and drink both measly and overpriced for what it is.
The coffees are far too small ( in my opinion charging large sized coffee prices for a small cup in comparison with kente, blue mountain or sugar hill) and I was also disappointed with their bacon sandwiches as once again measly amount of bacon( 2 small and thin rashers) and thin bread.

I
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I also really want to like this place but every time we've walked in ended up leaving. The decor isn't as inviting as other places (kinda has a rabbit hutch feel with the funny chip boarding) and tables a bit like an old cafe.

I hope this place develops overtime as there is certainly a demand for places to go in Sydenham. Cherry & Ice has been great at this & hats off to them for changing their layout, seating and widening their menu. It's hugely different to when it first opened & now I'm a regular.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Hi there

For those of you that don't know I'm the owner of The Shop Revolution Marketplace. Firstly Lee - thank you for the positive review.

Secondly CATLADY, Ruby and jonekt thank you for your honest reviews. jonekt as you rightly point out it is still early days and we are evolving our offering and endeavouring to get it right. We have had a number of staff who came in, in the early days to get us off the ground, and we are now in the process of installing some permanent staff members who will help raise the bar. This may have resulted in some inconsistency in delivery of the final product on occasion; this is now hopefully being addressed.

CATLADY, I can only apologise that you had to wait 20 minutes or that you didn't receive half of the ingredients. This is certainly not standard and I cannot imagine what happened. I'm happy to offer you a refund for the sandwich. In terms of our produce, CATLADY you are right that we did purchase our pastrami from Sainsburys. This was because we were unable to source what we needed/of the quality we were after from other local suppliers.

Our bacon is now only ever sourced from the local butchers (either Billings or The Butchery). In the early days when trying to get it right there were a couple of occasions when it came from the supermarket but the quality wasn't what we were trying to achieve.

Our bread is pain siegle sourdough from Balthazar Boulangerie in Covent Garden. We haven't had any other feedback about it being too thin, but I will bear that in mind.

Our coffee is a quality roast from Coleman Coffee in Bermondsey. We serve our coffees in that size as standard, as larger sizes simply include more milk but the size of the shot is not increased, and we feel that impacts on the quality.

In terms of the decor, what can I say - we like it ;o)

Over time we do aim to evolve and we would love for you to come back and try us out again. We have a new chef starting part time in a couple of weeks who will be developing our weekend brunch offering, and creating some pretty fab cakes for us. We will be launching a monthly indoor food market (along with an outdoor vintage and furniture market at a courtyard across the road), an evening market with varied produce and regular supper clubs. We will also be developing a groceries range from local producers and suppliers. Plus we have a variety of events we're running in store week to week.

We know that we can't be everyone's cup of tea, but we do aim to deliver a high quality product and it seems that on occasion we haven't achieved that. We are committed to address any chinks though so hopefully the next time you do come in, if you choose to do so, you might have a different experience.
Last edited by louisecbrooks on 16 Mar 2015 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

My review was written on the day and it was genuinely fantastic. I wouldn't have written it otherwise, it was an honest review.

The victoria sponge is pretty good too.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Sounds like some lovely and creative ideas. I will be in again as ever