Hyde Housing are awful

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Re: Hyde Housing are awful

Post by mosy »

Another thought that struck me is whether the new right-to-buy option means Hyde and maybe other HAs could be hoping to conveniently "lose" some of their properties and any outstanding repairs along with them. Not sure how it helps to think that except it might explain dragging of feet.

Given alywin's post, maybe, leenewham, consider getting this resolved before any possible change of ownership in case have to start all over again?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Change of ownership wont change anything, the issue isn't the tenant. They are really nice.
I'm not sure why Alywin brought up anti social behaviour, that's got nothing to do with this.

The issue is Hyde. It's really got nothing to do with the tenant who isn't buying the property, so that's not an issue anyway.

However, there is a glimmer of good news. Just got a call from Natalie at Hyde, the ONLY one there to call back. Payment is agreed and being processed. She was polite, helpful and professional. She was reassuring and is the ONLY person at Hyde so far that seems to have any type of desire to do her job.

10/10 to Natalie. Give her a raise. Even better, put her in charge!
mosy

Post by mosy »

leenewham, as you already said earlier that the tenant was fine, I certainly wasn't implying differently. Perhaps you misunderstood, but as you think the property is unlikely to be sold, then no worries :)

Good hear to hear that things might be progressing.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd also like to thank Cllr Liam Curran for getting involved and taking up the case which I'm sure has had some bearing on the action form Hyde.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Hello

I have first hand experience of Hyde. Having been a tenant for over 10 years in the Thorpes area.
I worked and paid full rent, which increased by RPI + 0.5% + £2 year on year, despite the fact my salary didn't!

Trying to get them to do any repairs was a joke.

I had a garden fence broken around November/December 2013 and despite calling, emailing, completing online repair forms, formal written complaints nothing was done. Incredibly frustrating and any repairs that Hyde reluctantly carried out were substandard and the contractor was Mears.

By the time I left, I had an A4 list of repairs that were all logged. I handed in my notice as enough was enough.

Funny enough, my neighbours were quite cold and seemed to act like I didn't care when that wasn't the case. Homeowners need to understand that there are tenants that pay rent, treat the property well and also get a raw deal, quality of life isn't great when living conditions deteriorate because the landlord won't do what they need to in order to maintain the property.

I now own my own home and Hyde tenants as well as neighbours have my complete sympathy.
The only thing Hyde care about is having the rent paid on time and the annual gas check.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

OK - following Lee's complaint, I've moved this post to a new thread

Housing and the old Labour comfort zones
Last edited by Tim Lund on 25 Jun 2015 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If the stories are real, then it's not unfair is it?

This thread started as a moan about Hyde housing and a fence. I'm not sure it's the right place to talk about social housing in general or label all social housing as somewhere people don't want to live. Infact, I think that is unfair.

Social housing for many, my grandparents included, a necessity. Coin street shows what can be done when properly run.

It's true, some people focus on one aspect of housing as 'the one solution' to the problem, when it's clear that it's a complex problem that will need a variety of remedies and ideas to combat it. But that's debate for a place elsewhere.

Please don't hijack this thread to make it a place for charts, data and a cry for 'building more housing'.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Lee - have a virtual hug!
Housing issues are challenging and stressful.
I hope you get your money back soon
markylon

Post by markylon »

But I like you

(dick emery)
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Lee - having worked in both a Housing Association and a local council, Hyde should have a 'Complaints procedure'. You've probably exhausted that line of attack but you should have been able to go right up the chain of command to the Director, if you had no response and then onto the Ombudsman.

I know this isn't very helpful as it appears to be going on for ages but for future reference might be handy to know. It's a shame that all the cuts have taken such a devastating toll. So many people in these organisations losing their jobs, being made redundant etc, and then those left behind take all the pressures. I could see that it was just going to get worse working for a Council and got out when it suited me and when I could. Unfortunately some don't have that choice and have to work with less workforce. It must be so stressful. I know I was getting really stressed towards my retirement and it affected my health.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The issue seemed to be that the staff didn't care. They would often hang up on me. Sometimes they said it was paid, which was a blatant lie or a serious issue with internal communications.

However it appears to be in hand now. A brilliant employee called Natalie has taken up the case and we have had calls from her with regular updates and the payment is being processed.

What I often find is that the issues with a company are to do with the culture of the company. If the people who work there don't like who they work for, the company will falter. People are any organisations greatest asset.

Luckily, one of our local cllrs helped out (Liam Curran) and after an intervention by him things seemed to move forwards.

Once it's sorted I will open a bottle of virtual champagne on the forum!