Incident in Sydenham Road 21st Sept 2007

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biffa

Incident in Sydenham Road 21st Sept 2007

Post by biffa »

anybody know what happened today lots of police and the road cordened off??
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Fatal road traffic accident by the pedestrian crossing by Sydenham railway bridge around lunchtime.

I won't add any more details as this will be a sensitive issue.

We should wait for any official reports, before drawing any conclusions.

Alib
biffa

Post by biffa »

damn right its a sensitive issue ..i knew it would happen ...condolonces to the deceased
poppy

incident

Post by poppy »

I've been told it was not at the crossing but the person was crossing the road opposite Lloyds bank.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

ALIB wrote:Fatal road traffic accident by the pedestrian crossing by Sydenham railway bridge around lunchtime.

Alib
So are you saying YOU don't really know exactly what happened
christian952

Post by christian952 »

Please , all take care when crossing this section of road (opposite Lloyds bank) I myself have had a few misses here- Spend the extra 30 seconds to go to the pedestrian crossing- PLEASE!

There was a fatal accident around 11.45 am. I didn't see the accident, but saw the aftermath and the emergency crew arriving, and it wasn't pretty.

After returning home, I shed a tear or two for the victim of this accident and in shear shock as to what I saw.

God bless the family of the victim - My thoughts are with you at this devastating time.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

The accident happened at 10:55am - I was at the station and it had just happened. I'm still shaking - at least they've cleaned the road up, now.

I don't know exactly how it happened, as the lady was behind the articulated lorry. Did it roll back on her?

Poor lady: somebody's daughter and maybe somebody's mother.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The Eagle wrote:
ALIB wrote:Fatal road traffic accident by the pedestrian crossing by Sydenham railway bridge around lunchtime.

Alib
So are you saying YOU don't really know exactly what happened
i stated what had happened in enough detail for this forum. Whether people saw what happened or not, (in my opinion) it is slightly distasteful to provide further detail on an internet forum, given the proximity of the accident to where we all live and the people in the community who have been impacted by this.
If you feel it is OK to discuss, then go ahead.

Alib
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Ali B I hear and accept what you say....................however no doubr rumours and stories will be passed between Sydenham residents and we all know how they get exaggerated.
All I am asking is if you know/saw exactly what happened just let us know. If not I accept what your have said and feel
user100

Post by user100 »

Admin, please step in and clean up / close this thread.

Everyone else, please exercise restraint.

What a shocking and tragic incident, let's not make it any more upsetting.

While we wait for admin to step in, I suggest we should please stop adding to this thread now. Thanks everyone.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

And your posting has made it worse!

Yes it is tragic that (I assume someone has lost their life) and my thoughts and no doubt others are with the family, but all I was asking for is exactly what happened, just like when you turn on the news to hear about tragic events anywhere else.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been watching this thread today. My other half alerted me to the incident. We did not know what had happened and were as curious as anybody.

I felt it was in the public interest that the cause of what was obviously a major incident should be known.

There are two considerations for me here. The legal one - it is a scene of crime so anything that may impact on any subsequent proceedings is off limits and would be removed. The second is 'good taste'. Here I think most people did a good job of balancing information and respect for the victim's family.

I guess all that could be said on this has been said. So I will close the thread. If someone wishes it reopened they can PM me.

Admin

<edit>The incident was reported by the BBC here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7008341.stm
</edit>
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The result of the inquest is now here: http://tinyurl.com/2rsx8u.
Tragic accident - the lorry driver is not to blame.

Admin
Jules

Post by Jules »

How very sad.
I hope we all take note that we should never try to cross a road anywhere when there are heavy vehicles present. They don't have the same kind of vision as car drivers and aren't always able to see pedestrians close to thier vehicles.

I always cross Sydenham Road at that spot, and I'm often in a hurry to catch my train or to get home, but must admit, since having to pass the floral tributes from this accident I do take extra care now.

Remember, it's just not worth losing your life.