Station approach - new toilet

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Station approach - new toilet

Post by Pally »

parker wrote:A hole in the ground would've been better than this...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Joanne1

Post by Joanne1 »

It's most likely going to attract graffiti.

We already have plenty of that on the High Street. Much of which has been commissioned by SEE3 too.

It's garish and not in keeping with an area which is trying to smarten up it's appearance.

This 'artwork' is often left to get shabby too.

SE23 Forun - there's a thread somewhere I think to get rid of graffiti too.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Whoever signed off this eyesore and its positioning on the pavement should be shot - or at the very least sacked.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

owlwise wrote:Whoever signed off this eyesore and its positioning on the pavement should be shot - or at the very least sacked.
So, who IS responsible? Can anyone name names? Do we just put up with this and grumble here or aim our complaints where they are deserved?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Definitely a candidate for guerrilla gardening though :
Walls with ivy , hydrangea paniculata on north aspect , ornamental grapevine on south side , under plant with pachysandra terminals ( tolerates dry shade ) then detonate .
Replace with ornamental urinal as seen in the French comedy " Clochemerle " and go for a pint - return to said urinal as needed .
Really , it has to go
A very good evening
Nigel
Pally

Post by Pally »

Rachael wrote:
owlwise wrote:Whoever signed off this eyesore and its positioning on the pavement should be shot - or at the very least sacked.
So, who IS responsible? Can anyone name names? Do we just put up with this and grumble here or aim our complaints where they are deserved?
I was hoping to raise it at the Sydenham Assembly but unfortunately I can't make it. I was thinking of talking to one of our Councillors instead to see what might be done
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Not only is it too big, the wrong colour (for goodness sake at least make it light to blend in), but the entrance is round the side , not in the front. What a typically low class effort from shoddy Lewisham. appalling, and a candidate for most ugly public toilet in London.
Shaunj72

Post by Shaunj72 »

It's also damaged (top left and right) on the side facing the key cutters. Possibly from moving it into place.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Shaunj72 wrote:It's also damaged (top left and right) on the side facing the key cutters. Possibly from moving it into place.
Even worse then
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Better get the graffiti boys to decorate it before it becomes covered in graffiti! :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Rachael wrote:
Chris Best said in this thread re Sydenham Assembly 2 Jun 15:
date:time 29 May 15 18:50 :
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13061

"As always there is time for you to raise any issues under the question and answer session and we are asking if you could email Paul Gale - paul.gale@lewisham.gov.uk - if possible we will provide a reply at the meeting."

Anyone care to formulate a suitable question? I doubt that ripping it out and re-siting the waterworks for a new one is likely, so how to make the best of a (very) bad job for minimal £ is probably the question that might get consideration. Otherwise, to quote the Small Faces song, Whatcha Gonna Do About It? Perhaps there is a "grand plan" that we don't know about? 8) *Sherlock mode*
Shaunj72

Post by Shaunj72 »

Just emailed this to Paul Gale:

Hi Paul,

There has been much local concern about the type, location, orientation and general suitability of the new public convenience on Station Approach.

It is widely regarded as being ugly, incongruous and certainly not in keeping with the Yorkstone and greatly improved street environment of Sydenham Road and Station Approach.

The 'box' has also clearly been damaged by a contractor during installation (see pics) and has had torn plastic film flapping off the door for weeks. It just looks like it's been kicked off the back of a truck and abandoned.

The people of Sydenham and in particular the thousands of daily users Sydenham Station surely deserve better than to walk past this eyesore each day.

My question for the Sydenham Assembly is:

Please can a local councillor meet the officer responsible at the site in the near future to discuss whether this is acceptable or not?

Kind regards etc,

I also emailed some him photos from today. Will share any response. SJ
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely an in convenience

Was it ever established what was wrong with the lovely old convenience that had been there for decades.
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Eagle wrote:Surely an in convenience

Was it ever established what was wrong with the lovely old convenience that had been there for decades.
I think probly too late for toilet plan changing. not spend any more penny or monies going down pan.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

They are unlikely to replace or resite, but I would be interested to see the brief to the contractor, as if it has not been adhered to, then Lewisham are entitled to the works being "corrected".
If nothing substantial can be done then perhaps a spray paint job (cream or beige) might make it less conspicuous.
What do you think?
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

Steveofsyd wrote: If nothing substantial can be done then perhaps a spray paint job (cream or beige) might make it less conspicuous.
What do you think?
i think vary many peeples here seeing red.. haha
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If the contractors screwed up executing the brief, Lewisham should have some recourse. If Lewisham screwed up writing the brief, heads need to be knocked together as well as a solution sought, so they don't think they can get away with it without us noticing.

Excellent email, Shaunj72, I look forward to seeing what response you get.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Who employs these jobsworths??? Oh I know, jobsworths employ these jobsworths. That's why nothing gets done properly nowadays.

The local council is to blame for this incompetence - for not putting the right checks in place before allowing this monstrosity in the middle of the pavement to be built. It's a joke but noone's laughing. Probably cost around £50-100K all in, maybe more.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Steveofsyd wrote:They are unlikely to replace or resite, but I would be interested to see the brief to the contractor, as if it has not been adhered to, then Lewisham are entitled to the works being "corrected".
If nothing substantial can be done then perhaps a spray paint job (cream or beige) might make it less conspicuous.
What do you think?
Good idea!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Only partially joking about clothing this ugly edifice with plants .
Some decent size ivies and grape vines would soon cover it - and more permanently than paint - also would give a bit of green in an area lacking with same .
A very good evening
Nigel